Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

So confused by marriage visas!

So confused by marriage visas!

Old Apr 21st 2018, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

Dougie05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: So confused by marriage visas!

Very frustrating, how complicated it had become to get married genuinely because of all the disingenuous people!

Well, I'll have to discuss it further with her, but it looks like Malta may be an option because the certificate is done in English anyway. Probably more cost effective too.

We'll discuss it further and see which avenue to take. Thanks again for the ongoing advice and support
Old Apr 21st 2018, 4:07 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

You can translate documents yourself, if you are proficient in the language. I translated all of my German stuff myself. Chinese stuff I got done by someone else.

Last edited by Twinkle0927; Apr 21st 2018 at 5:14 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2018, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

leema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond repute

I (UK cit) married my USC wife in Copenhagen for the same reason. Our wedding certificate has four different language translations on it, including English.

I think at the time I googled ‘getting married in Denmark’ and then contacted a company who took care of everything for around 400 Euros.

Last edited by leema5; Apr 21st 2018 at 4:31 pm. Reason: Adding information
Old Apr 21st 2018, 4:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
You can't translate documents yourself, if you are proficient in the language. I translated all of my German stuff myself. Chinese stuff I got done by someone else.
Believe that it was meant to read "You can translate documents yourself, if you are ....."
Old Apr 21st 2018, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by leema5
I (UK cit) married my USC wife in Copenhagen for the same reason. Our wedding certificate has four different language translations on it, including English.

I think at the time I googled getting married without notice, or something similar.
Thanks for that, my girlfriend just mentioned Copenhagen as well, might be the way forward
Old Apr 21st 2018, 5:15 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

I think at the time I googled ‘getting married in Denmark’ and then contacted a company who took care of everything for around 400 Euros.
Sounds like a bargain and how forward-thinking of them to issue the official marriage certificate in 4 languages. Could be a useful piece of information for many.
Old Apr 21st 2018, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
Sounds like a bargain and how forward-thinking of them to issue the official marriage certificate in 4 languages. Could be a useful piece of information for many.
I agree, I've been looking in to Denmark a lot today and it certainly seems like a much better option than most other places. Very relaxed and easy going, plenty of information available online, seems like a pretty good way to get married without having the massive headache of UK law.
Old Apr 21st 2018, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

leema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dougie05
I agree, I've been looking in to Denmark a lot today and it certainly seems like a much better option than most other places. Very relaxed and easy going, plenty of information available online, seems like a pretty good way to get married without having the massive headache of UK law.
The company we used were absolutely brilliant to deal with. On the day of our wedding my soon-to-be wife had to be rushed to hospital (big scary drama that ended with 5 days in hospital).

They arranged to have one of the town halls open the following week on a day that they were supposed to be closed for weddings otherwise we wouldn’t have been able to get married as we had to both return home for work.

I believe the website is just called ‘Getting Married in Denmark’. Our first point of contact was called Leanne and she was fantastic. Everything was done via email (consent forms/birth certs etc) apart from having to go in person the day before the wedding to sign the affidavit.

Keep us posted on what you eventually do.
Old Apr 21st 2018, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

The company we used were absolutely brilliant to deal with. On the day of our wedding my soon-to-be wife had to be rushed to hospital (big scary drama that ended with 5 days in hospital).

They arranged to have one of the town halls open the following week on a day that they were supposed to be closed for weddings otherwise we wouldn’t have been able to get married as we had to both return home for work.

I believe the website is just called ‘Getting Married in Denmark’. Our first point of contact was called Leanne and she was fantastic. Everything was done via email (consent forms/birth certs etc) apart from having to go in person the day before the wedding to sign the affidavit.

Keep us posted on what you eventually do.
Yeah I've actually contacted that website already lol. I will keep the thread updated with progress throughout and hopefully it will help others in some way.

Even if it's just to teach them "Don't do it this way!"
Old Apr 21st 2018, 6:15 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I will repeat my advice regardless Gibraltar if you’re interested in an English language certificate. That being said most European countries, not just Denmark, also offer multilingual certificates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conven...status_records
Old Apr 24th 2018, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

Update time!

So I've done a lot of research and we have agreed on Denmark. We are now in the process of putting it all together and we came across a problem.
It requests the following;
"Scan of valid residence permit, visa, or proof of entry in Denmark, the EU or Schengen."

Well no visa is required for her to come here and no marriage visa is required to go to Denmark to get married and her passport won't be stamped until she gets to the UK a couple of days before we go to Denmark! What do we do here?

Also, how do we both sign the Notice of Marriage form in advance to provide our notice? Can we scan our signature or must we mail it back and forth to each other?
Old Apr 24th 2018, 7:38 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, it would just be so much easier to get married in the USA. Why is that not a possibility?

Rene
Old Apr 24th 2018, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Honestly, it would just be so much easier to get married in the USA. Why is that not a possibility?

Rene
Because that would take so much longer! And we're young and rash and impetuous. And it would also be just as complicated but much more expensive to get married over there. We've done the figures...
And that wasn't what I asked lol.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 7:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Because that would take so much longer! And we're young and rash and impetuous. And it would also be just as complicated but much more expensive to get married over there. We've done the figures...
And that wasn't what I asked lol.
I know that wasn't what you asked, but I'm trying to provide alternatives that are easier. It seems you have some misconceptions about getting married in the USA.

It does not take longer to get married in the USA. Many states allow you to apply for the marriage license and get married the same day. Most I've seen is a 3-day wait. So I fail to see how it's longer.

As for "just as complicated", it's not. You show up with ID (passport is fine), apply for marriage license, get married same day or a couple of days later. That isn't complicated at all.

As for "much more expensive", maybe only due to the cost of a flight to the USA. The marriage license and ceremony is at most $100 or so. Not expensive at all.

Keep in mind this is a US forum, and you're asking questions about getting married in Denmark, so you'll have to wait for someone here who has gotten married in Denmark to respond.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Update time!

So I've done a lot of research and we have agreed on Denmark. We are now in the process of putting it all together and we came across a problem.
It requests the following;
"Scan of valid residence permit, visa, or proof of entry in Denmark, the EU or Schengen."

Well no visa is required for her to come here and no marriage visa is required to go to Denmark to get married and her passport won't be stamped until she gets to the UK a couple of days before we go to Denmark! What do we do here?

Also, how do we both sign the Notice of Marriage form in advance to provide our notice? Can we scan our signature or must we mail it back and forth to each other?
I have been in contact with the girl who we dealt with. She was brilliant. I will PM you her email address. She will be able to help you. When we did this we were both living and working in Abu Dhabi and my other half wasn’t yet a UK PR so there must be an easy fix/explanation to your question.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.