Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Should I book the interview?

Should I book the interview?

Old Aug 16th 2017, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

hjklily has a brilliant futurehjklily has a brilliant futurehjklily has a brilliant futurehjklily has a brilliant futurehjklily has a brilliant futurehjklily has a brilliant future
Default Should I book the interview?

Hello! It's been a little while since I made a post, but I have a few (probably stupid) questions.

My mum is in a neighbouring state to my partner from mid to late September, which became my initial goal time for our wedding. However, my medical is booked for Aug 21st (Monday), and I haven't completed the Notification of Applicant readiness form or booked my actual interview as I'm waiting to receive affidavits of support from my partner.

He was told that it would take 2-3 weeks from the date of sending, Aug 5th, but I haven't had much luck in tracking since USPS has only said 'in transit to destination' since Aug 11th so I've no idea if they're on time etc.

My dad thinks that I should book the interview asap anyway in the hopes that I could still make a Sep 28th wedding. I'm worried that the documents won't arrive in time if I book now, and don't know how easy it is to reschedule an interview, if it's even possible. My other issue is that my interview would likely be early September if I did book now. Is there even much chance of getting the visa approved and having my passport back in time for a flight sometime after Sep 20th? Out of interest, how long have others waited between getting the visa and moving to the states?

I'm sorry this has been so long-winded, I'm just not sure what to do. I personally don't think Sep 28th seems all that likely, but I know that my mum can't get back to the states any time soon and I'd love for her to be at the wedding. Any advice is appreciated, and thank anybody who read this whole essay

Last edited by hjklily; Aug 16th 2017 at 1:11 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 1:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I book the interview?

Your fiance could send you the I-134 package via an overnight delivery like FedEx, UPS or DHL. Expensive. But would help make you wedding date possible.

Rene
Old Aug 16th 2017, 5:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hjklily
Is there even much chance of getting the visa approved and having my passport back in time for a flight sometime after Sep 20th? Out of interest, how long have others waited between getting the visa and moving to the states?
On average, it takes about 2 weeks for the passport to be returned. That means it could take anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks... and, on occasion, it has taken longer. As for moving... you can move to the US the same day you get your passport back if you want - so I'm not sure how other people's experiences will help you.

I'm just not sure what to do.
I agree with Rene. If all you're waiting for is the I-134 package, your fiancée can courier it to you.

Ian
Old Aug 20th 2017, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Embrta is on a distinguished road

If it helps you can easily reschedule an interview date online. The date we wanted wasn't available so we booked for a different date and just kept checking each day for about 2 weeks+ and thankfully a slot opened up and we rescheduled. Currently available (from what I can see there are 6 slots available the second week in Sept and 6 the third week. So it might be worth doing your notification of readiness now and booking the appointment. If you still don't have your AOS before your interview date then you could reschedule (making sure you give plenty of notice - I'm not sure if there is an amount of time required). We scheduled our interview before we had the AOS because the sponsor we were using had just quit his job so had to find someone else.
Old Aug 20th 2017, 10:29 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Embrta
We scheduled our interview before we had the AOS because the sponsor we were using had just quit his job so had to find someone else.
Just a quick note of clarification for those reading... in this context, AOS means affidavit of support.

For new folks reading, the acronym AOS usually means adjustment of status and is almost never used for affidavit of support - which is usually referred to by specific form number (I-134 or I-864) to avoid acronym confusion.

Ian
Old Aug 20th 2017, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

Embrta is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Just a quick note of clarification for those reading... in this context, AOS means affidavit of support.

For new folks reading, the acronym AOS usually means adjustment of status and is almost never used for affidavit of support - which is usually referred to by specific form number (I-134 or I-864) to avoid acronym confusion.

Ian
Thanks for clarifying.