Selective Service?

Old Jul 24th 2017, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

BigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Selective Service?

Hey all

So something came to my attention. I'm 25 years old, 26 in November - I was just wondering if I have to sign up to Selective Service, or whether it will be done automatically upon my I-485 being accepted?

I'm thinking maybe I send off a separate Selective Service application, just in case?
Old Jul 24th 2017, 11:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selective Service?

Originally Posted by BigBoss1984
Hey all

So something came to my attention. I'm 25 years old, 26 in November - I was just wondering if I have to sign up to Selective Service, or whether it will be done automatically upon my I-485 being accepted?

I'm thinking maybe I send off a separate Selective Service application, just in case?

It is not automatic. Sign up now, as it might come to bite you in the arse when you go to naturalize 3 years (less 90 days) from the date you become a conditional/permanent resident

You are in a legal situation at the moment by color of law, i.e. status of pending adjustment of status. Do they count from the date of the PR status or from the date you entered the US legally as a K-1 recipient? I don't remember but the US does not have a draft at the moment and your only months away from age 26. Believe you can sign up online.

Last edited by Rete; Jul 24th 2017 at 11:23 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 11:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigBoss1984
I was just wondering if I have to sign up to Selective Service...
Yes, you must. All male immigrants residing in the US are required to sign up for selective service between age 18-26. Note this has nothing whatsoever to do with being a permanent resident.

Ian
Old Jul 24th 2017, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

That's odd, I filled out my I-485 and got my selective service card/letter about 6 weeks after the biometrics appointment and I never did anything else to sign up for it?
Old Jul 24th 2017, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

BigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond repute

On the new I-485 it says, on page 15;

I understand that if I am a male who is 18 to 26 years of age, submitting this application will automatically register me with the Selective Service System as required by the Military Selective Service Act.

Under the Applicants Declaration and Certification. Any comments on this? Should I still try and register?

Tried to register online but it didn't recognise my SSN, guess it's too new.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 12:06 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

That is new then, BigBoss, and the first I've heard of that being added to the I-485 or else my memory is faulty.

Then you don't have to do anything. It is being done for you.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rete
That is new then, BigBoss, and the first I've heard of that being added to the I-485 or else my memory is faulty.

Is an interesting thing. I wonder when they'll do it, with my birthday being a couple of months away.

I also found this URL: http://www.immihelp.com/immigration/register-selective-service.html

Which seems to exempt me under the 'exempt' section, based on being here as a lawful non immigrant (K1)
Old Jul 25th 2017, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

I just verified my registration on the SS website and it is there.

Seems like when I filed the I-485 that took care of it as if I'm honest I didn't read every single word on the form!
Old Jul 25th 2017, 12:13 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by BenK91
I just verified my registration on the SS website and it is there.

Seems like when I filed the I-485 that took care of it as if I'm honest I didn't read every single word on the form!
What? You didn't read everything on the I-485 before signing? You know what the penalty for that is, don't you?

You will have to sit through a 90 minute Trump speech with your hands tied behind your back and your eyes taped open.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

What? You didn't read everything on the I-485 before signing? You know what the penalty for that is, don't you?

You will have to sit through a 90 minute Trump speech with your hands tied behind your back and your eyes taped open.
I mean, the kindergarten-style contradictions and lies will make it vaguely humorous, right?!
Old Jul 25th 2017, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
That's odd, I filled out my I-485 and got my selective service card/letter about 6 weeks after the biometrics appointment and I never did anything else to sign up for it?
You were probably signed up by default when you applied for a driving licence.

The NC DMV told me they wouldnt allow me to get one without agreeing. I had no issue with it, just that's what casually talking with the test man told me.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tom169

The NC DMV told me they wouldnt allow me to get one without agreeing. I had no issue with it, just that's what casually talking with the test man told me.
Maybe it just took USCIS a while to fill in the Selective Service stuff
Old Jul 25th 2017, 2:37 am
Concierge

The thing is that if you qualify to sign up and don't then you can't apply for naturalization regardless of being married to a USC for five years. This means you would have to wait until age 31 to be eligible to naturalize.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is that if you qualify to sign up and don't then you can't apply for naturalization regardless of being married to a USC for five years. This means you would have to wait until age 31 to be eligible to naturalize.
I know, I'm not disputing that.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 3:03 am
Concierge

I know, I'm not disputing that.
Not every man who emigrates to the US knows this. It was for the benefit of all readers that I pointed it out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.