Reload this Page >

Samuel7896’s questions about CR-1 with a drug conviction

Samuel7896’s questions about CR-1 with a drug conviction

Old Mar 2nd 2018, 6:51 am
Just Joined

samuel7896 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Samuel7896’s questions about CR-1 with a drug conviction

Good morning,

I was searching the internet looking for some answers and came across your site. Many of the answers to the questions seem really helpful but I have a situation which I'm hoping some of you might be able to help with.

In 2002 (after my partner at the time commited suicide) I was deeply bereaved and depressed. I was given some pills by a friend to help me 'cope' and sleep. Without any knowledge of what these were I took one, felt terrible and slung then in my glove box of my car. I forgot all about this and 3 months later while driving some friends to and from a birthday party we were pulled over and the car stopped and searched. I was sober and had totally forgotten about the pills in my glove box (of which there were 4). The police found the tablets and I was charged with possession of a class drug. I was given a warning and asked to pay for the disposal of the tablets. I never served a sentence and have never been in trouble with the police before or after.
I am since a registered nurse and have been for many years. I met my US partner a year and a half ago and in November of last year (2017) we got engaged. To enable me to visit the US I had to apply for a visiting and vaccation visa because I was ineligible for ESTA due to the drug convinction from 2002. It had to apply through the US Embassy for a waiver of ineligibility, and 6 months later was granted a 5 year visa and my conviction waived.
I'm just really confused about what to do next. We plan to Marry in the united states (Connecticut) in May. My fiance comes to stay here in two weeks and we plan to travel back and me stay there for 4 weeks, and while I'm there mlall my family are coming to stay and we will marry.
I'm just confused and a little concerned now about how to get the CR-1. I was informally advised by a US lawyer to not worry about my conviction, it was 16 years ago and I have Ben granted waiver of intelligibility by the office for home land security, and to just go ahead and marry and that I could apply for spousal visa, continue to live in the UK until that is sorted and then once granted, move and work in the states as a nurse. Does this sound like I'm on the right track? I'm deeply upset with the events in 2002, it was a terrible time for me, I wasn't thinking straight and at the time of being given the tablets I was distraught and very down about the loss of my partner. I am not a drug user and apart from the single warnering and disposal of the tablets, I do not have anything else on my criminal record.
I have an ACRO certificate which shows the 4 tablets and the possession charge, and this was sent to the US Office for Homeland Security when the waived my conviction and granted me the visa to travel and visit the US, for 5 years. If anyone could help I would be very grateful.
Thanks in advance.
Samuel
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 8:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Samuel7896’s questions about CR-1 with a drug conviction

Hi, welcome to BE.

I’ve moved your post in to a thread of your own, it’s not likely to be seen tacked on to the end of somebody else’s thread.

I’m sure our forum pros will be along to help you later. Good luck.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

BigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond repute

I would say that if you have already been granted with a 5 year visa and your conviction has already been waived there is a very good chance you will be OK for the CR1.

You say that your conviction was waived, did they give you written confirmation of this?
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Not the main point of your post, but you will need to check that your nursing qualifications will be recognized in the US.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 12:57 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

You say you were 'given a warning' but did you actually accept a caution? What does your ACRO report say exactly?
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 4:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I have to side with the poster that said since you were given a waiver for a B visa, you will more likely than not be approved with waiver for an immediate relative visa.

Side note: Instead of an IR visa, it would be a CR visa which is a conditional residency meaning your visa was approved and you entered the US on that visa before your second wedding anniversary. Two years after entry you would need to file to have the conditions removed and you do that by filing I-751 90 days before the expiration date on the green card.

Unless your spouse wants to join you living in the UK, you can only go forward after marriage and file for the visa and hope for the best.

PS Your nursing credentials will need to be updated to US credentials. But that is a different story altogether then your questions about obtaining the spousal visa.