Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Same sex marriage to an American

Same sex marriage to an American

Old Jan 24th 2015, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of
Default Re: Same sex marriage to an American

Originally Posted by OnwardandUpward
how long did you live in TX?

What I am saying is it's a lot different to actually live in a community where most of the people won't accept you- even if it's the law they have to.

There is an established gay community and loads of liberals and tolerant people here in Houston- but there's also the situation that there's a lot of teachings saying homosexuality is evil. Texas Republican party made it part of their platform that gay people shouldn't have unsupervised contact with minors.

That will be your neighbours is what I'm saying.
Same sex marriage to an American-feedtroll.jpg
Old Jan 24th 2015, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW I found this helpful information on www.gov.uk

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-abroad/y...other/same_sex

I realize that this doesn't answer the question of whether such a marriage would but recognized by the US, but it seems to be pretty clear that the UK government regards it as a normal thing for UK citizens to be able to get married under English/Welsh or Scottish law in a UK embassy abroad so I have a hard time imagining that such a marriage would not be recognized.

Last edited by md95065; Jan 24th 2015 at 6:31 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 6:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

So do I.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

If the OP has any doubts about this then a one time consultation with an experienced US immigration attorney such as J Craig Fong would be a good idea.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 9:02 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
FWIW I found this helpful information on www.gov.uk

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-abroad/y...other/same_sex

I realize that this doesn't answer the question of whether such a marriage would but recognized by the US, but it seems to be pretty clear that the UK government regards it as a normal thing for UK citizens to be able to get married under English/Welsh or Scottish law in a UK embassy abroad so I have a hard time imagining that such a marriage would not be recognized.
I can imagine quite easily it not being recognized by the US minions of the dark forces. This scenario can have fun permutations. Do note that under certain circumstances the US immigration laws allow for recognition of "proxy" marriages.
Old Jan 25th 2015, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

DrWooWoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Assuming you have a British marriage certificate, I can't see why it would even come up as an issue?
Old Jan 25th 2015, 4:11 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DrWooWoo
Assuming you have a British marriage certificate, I can't see why it would even come up as an issue?
Last time I looked, China and Great Britain are different countries
Old Jan 25th 2015, 4:19 pm
Account Closed

Great Britain is not a country.
Old Jan 25th 2015, 4:23 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

But that's the bit we're not clear on, whether it would be a British or Chinese marriage, whether the marriage is legally recognized if inside the British embassy etc...
Old Jan 25th 2015, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

DrWooWoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Last time I looked, China and Great Britain are different countries
Thanks for informing me, I would never have guessed.

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl
But that's the bit we're not clear on, whether it would be a British or Chinese marriage, whether the marriage is legally recognized if inside the British embassy etc...
Surely it would have to be a British marriage if same-sex marriage is not performed in China? This site strongly implies that this is the case.
Old Jan 25th 2015, 4:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OnwardandUpward
how long did you live in TX?

What I am saying is it's a lot different to actually live in a community where most of the people won't accept you- even if it's the law they have to.

There is an established gay community and loads of liberals and tolerant people here in Houston- but there's also the situation that there's a lot of teachings saying homosexuality is evil. Texas Republican party made it part of their platform that gay people shouldn't have unsupervised contact with minors.

That will be your neighbours is what I'm saying.
Yep, Houston is so anti-gay that they voted in a gay Mayor

Honey, you need to quit watching local Fox News and start meeting the real people of Houston
Old Jan 25th 2015, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

Texas is know for steers and .....
Old Jan 25th 2015, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl
Since the UK government web site specifically refers to the need for same sex couples being married in an embassy overseas to elect to be married under the laws of either England and Wales, or Scotland (but not Northern Ireland) my assumption is that the UK government will regard the couple as having been married in that way.

Mr F. is of course correct, however, that the "minions of the dark forces" might not see it that way ...
Old Jan 25th 2015, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Surely it would have to be a British marriage if same-sex marriage is not performed in China? This site strongly implies that this is the case.
Actually it looks as if it would be either an "England and Wales" marriage or a "Scotland" marriage.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 11:28 am
BE Commentator

I would like to make clear that I am noting an issue to which I do not have a definite answer. I do not question that the marriage will be recognized for UK purposes. When I was in practice I had had cases where there was no doubt the marriage was valid for some purposes but was problematical under US law.

[BTW, I had used "country" in the US sense.]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.