British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   Removal of conditions & moving house (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/removal-conditions-moving-house-911728/)

ScottUK1990 Apr 15th 2018 7:00 pm

Removal of conditions & moving house

Hi all,

Quick question as I'm unsure what to do.

I'm in the process of filling out the form (and getting evidence) for the removal of conditions process on my green card (marriage based). We're coming to the end of our apartment lease soon which is pretty close to the time my green card expires. I'm worried about putting my current address on the forms as I don't want any correspondence getting lost.

Do I put this address down and change it via USCIS website as soon as I know where I'm moving too?

Do I put my in-laws address down on the form?

Do I put this address as my physical address, and but 'in care of' address as my in-laws?

Clearly overthinking this but just want to bounce my thoughts off of other people.

Cheers,

Scott

tom169 Apr 15th 2018 9:24 pm

Re: Removal of conditions & moving house

I had to move address during my adjustment and so did the online address change. It didn't work. I still had correspondence sent to the old address, but thankfully USPS forwarded it.

Noorah101 Apr 16th 2018 1:51 am

Originally Posted by ScottUK1990 (Post 12482175)
Hi all,

Quick question as I'm unsure what to do.

I'm in the process of filling out the form (and getting evidence) for the removal of conditions process on my green card (marriage based). We're coming to the end of our apartment lease soon which is pretty close to the time my green card expires. I'm worried about putting my current address on the forms as I don't want any correspondence getting lost.

Do I put this address down and change it via USCIS website as soon as I know where I'm moving too?

Do I put my in-laws address down on the form?

Do I put this address as my physical address, and but 'in care of' address as my in-laws?

Clearly overthinking this but just want to bounce my thoughts off of other people.

Cheers,

Scott

If your in-laws live close by (in the same jurisdiction where you'd go for your biometrics and/or interview if there is one), I'd use their address on the I-751.

Rene

ScottUK1990 Apr 16th 2018 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 12482309)
If your in-laws live close by (in the same jurisdiction where you'd go for your biometrics and/or interview if there is one), I'd use their address on the I-751.

Rene

Thanks Rene.

They’re in Philly, we’re at West Point, NY (2.5hrs away). We lived in Philly (at their address) throughout my K1 > LPR process, and am back in the city regularly.

What do you mean by jurisdiction in this situation?

Rete Apr 16th 2018 12:43 pm

Jurisdiction is in regards to which service center you need to send the I-751 to for processing. I believe Philadelphia, PA is the same as NY State -- Vermont Service Center. In that you will be fine.

One question I have is are you intending to file for naturalization asa you are eligible? This would be 90 days prior to your third anniversary as a green card holder (Permanent Resident, conditional or not).

Noorah101 Apr 16th 2018 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by ScottUK1990 (Post 12482528)
Thanks Rene.

They’re in Philly, we’re at West Point, NY (2.5hrs away). We lived in Philly (at their address) throughout my K1 > LPR process, and am back in the city regularly.

What do you mean by jurisdiction in this situation?

What Rete said. As long as you can make it back for biometrics and interview, that should be fine.

Rene

Rete Apr 16th 2018 1:35 pm

If you haven't done it already, do it asap. Get the work legend removed from your social security card. The I-751 is taking a year or longer and many are finding themselves without physical proof of their continued status. The letter proving your status is extended for a year has run out for many and they needed to get the I-551 stamp in their passport at the field office because they used their green card as proof of right to work when first employed and the employer has come back to ask for a new card showing they are still current.

ScottUK1990 Apr 16th 2018 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12482579)
Jurisdiction is in regards to which service center you need to send the I-751 to for processing. I believe Philadelphia, PA is the same as NY State -- Vermont Service Center. In that you will be fine.

One question I have is are you intending to file for naturalization asa you are eligible? This would be 90 days prior to your third anniversary as a green card holder (Permanent Resident, conditional or not).

Yes I do intend to - why? Does it change anything?

ScottUK1990 Apr 16th 2018 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12482622)
If you haven't done it already, do it asap. Get the work legend removed from your social security card. The I-751 is taking a year or longer and many are finding themselves without physical proof of their continued status. The letter proving your status is extended for a year has run out for many and they needed to get the I-551 stamp in their passport at the field office because they used their green card as proof of right to work when first employed and the employer has come back to ask for a new card showing they are still current.

The ‘valid for work with DHS authorization’ part? Is it just a case of going to the Social security office and showing the green card? With it expiring in less than 90 days would they not have an issue with it?

Rete Apr 16th 2018 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by ScottUK1990 (Post 12482664)
Yes I do intend to - why? Does it change anything?

Yes, it does. This is from the N-400 Instructions manual:

You have lived within the state or USCIS district where you claim residence for at least 3 months prior to filing

If you file with your in-laws address you would need to change that address when you have a new permanent address in NYS to be eligible to file with your NYS address.

Originally Posted by ScottUK1990 (Post 12482669)
The ‘valid for work with DHS authorization’ part? Is it just a case of going to the Social security office and showing the green card? With it expiring in less than 90 days would they not have an issue with it?

They might since you should have done this asa you had your green card. Worth a try but if you showed your green card as proof of right to work along with a social security card with the legend, I wouldn't be surprised if your employer asked for current proof of that right. Others have discussed this on these forums before and some have been adamant that your social security card, without the legend, is all you need. I contend that if you used a conditional green card and a social security card with the legend, that the employer is being diligent to ask for continued proof.

The NOA you will receive is good for one year so that's not a problem as that is your new proof. But better to have the legend removed than left on the social security card.

As for the mailing address for the I-751, use the one you are current residing at for the application for removal of conditions. The moment you are moved into your new place, file the AR-11 for the change of address as required by law and your financial sponsor (your wife) needs to file the change of address for herself as well. I believe it is form I-865. I would have to look up the number to be 100% sure. After about a month from the date of your filing the AR-11, call the 1-800 number, explain that you moved, filed the AR-11 but have an I-751 in process and would like to change your address through them. Be sure that you leave a directive with the USPS to have your mail forwarded.

zzrmark Apr 17th 2018 10:58 pm

Well, that's just freaked out my good lady! How is it that after two years of living here and nearly four since I started the paperwork trail I haven't heard/read anything about a sponsor's change of address requirements?

Tonight we shall be filling in form I-865 notifying USCIS that we moved house, last June. Hopefully they are just as slack when it comes to applying late notification fines... :fingerscrossed:

Noorah101 Apr 17th 2018 11:50 pm

No fine involved. :)

Rene

zzrmark Apr 18th 2018 12:07 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 12483783)
No fine involved. :)

Rene

I came to the same conclusion after a quick Google search, seems they only get uppity if immigrant has claimed benefits prior to tax payment of 40 quarters and then they can clobber the sponsor up to $2K if they can feign ignorance of the benefit claim and up to $5K if found to be in the know.
Presumably USCIS draw attention to the requirement in the paperwork that the sponsor sends in when kick-starting the paperwork trail? Which I never did get to peruse, and, mentioning no names, a certain other householder is an absolute nightmare when it comes to matters of paperwork....

ScottUK1990 May 18th 2018 3:42 pm

Thanks all, and sorry for the significantly delayed response, appreciate all the advice on this. Sent the I751 application off, used my NY address and will ensure that USCIS are informed asap if/when I do move house.

Stressing out a little now as the money for the I751 hasn't been taken from my account (Navy Federal Credit Union). St Albans Vermont service center received the application on May 2nd - sent recorded delivery and signature verification (USCIS 75 Lower Welden). I know the receipt takes a while to arrive, but in my past immigration 'stuff' they've taken the money pretty quickly. Anyone else been waiting a while - 2 weeks +?

Cheers,

Scott

zzrmark May 24th 2018 10:57 am

Originally Posted by ScottUK1990 (Post 12501732)
Thanks all, and sorry for the significantly delayed response, appreciate all the advice on this. Sent the I751 application off, used my NY address and will ensure that USCIS are informed asap if/when I do move house.

Stressing out a little now as the money for the I751 hasn't been taken from my account (Navy Federal Credit Union). St Albans Vermont service center received the application on May 2nd - sent recorded delivery and signature verification (USCIS 75 Lower Welden). I know the receipt takes a while to arrive, but in my past immigration 'stuff' they've taken the money pretty quickly. Anyone else been waiting a while - 2 weeks +?

Cheers,

Scott

Strangely enough there aren't too many complaints about USCIS taking their time grabbing our money, has this gone through now? I might be trying to find out when the check landed on their doorstep - because I'm a cynical old git I send absolutely everything to them via registered post, that at least removes the 'blame the postie' excuse when they lose your mail.