Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for immigration lawyer

Recommendations for immigration lawyer

Old Mar 2nd 2018, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

Corrine82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recommendations for immigration lawyer

Hello anyone have any recommendations for UK immigration lawyer who is good at US visas to help with spousal and 2 children visa I have downloaded forms but lost so would love someone to take all the headache and help I am close to Manchester UK but not sure if it matters

Thanks Corrine
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 12:32 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommendations for immigration lawyer

Morning

I don't have a name for you but I looked back and you are the USC who has a husband and 2 children. You don't have the ability to pass on your USC to your children so you need IR-1 visas for all three. Because you live in the UK legally, you are eligible for filing the I-130's at the US Consulate.

Not all people are confident or organized enough to do the paperwork themselves. While the process for you and your family is really easy and the paperwork simple for most others, I do understand your fears.

Hopefully, someone will be along shortly with a recommendation. Although to be truthful, 99% of everyone just does it themselves.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 3:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
.... Hopefully, someone will be along shortly with a recommendation. Although to be truthful, 99% of everyone just does it themselves.
I agree - I did the application myself and the forms are a bit tedious, but quite straightforward. Someone should be along soon to tell you which form you will need, as I think that being sure you have the right forms, and all the forms, is at least half the problem.

From what I have heard, for the assistance of a lawyer you're looking at somewhere around £1,000 - £1,500, which is quite a lot for completing some pretty basic paperwork.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 3:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

True, it is straightforward. However, not everyone is confident in completing government paperwork and require professional assistance. It is their choice on how to spend their money and if $1,500 gives you peace of mind, then it isn't really all that much, is it.

I just don't want the OP to think we think less of her or her abilities if she desires to retain the services of a professional in obtaining visas for her husband and two children. It is not a poor reflection on her but rather a favorable one that someone is cognizant of needs and willing to go against the norm which is to be a DIY'er.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 3:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
True, it is straightforward. However, not everyone is confident in completing government paperwork and require professional assistance. It is their choice on how to spend their money and if $1,500 gives you peace of mind, then it isn't really all that much, is it. ....
Today we both seem to be arguing against our usual position when it comes to money. I consider £1,500 ($2,000) to be a very substantial amount of money (especially as there are then visa fees to pay on top of that!) and I think under most circumstances you would too!
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you if I could find the correct forms to fill in I could try and make a start I have read and reread the US embassy website and confused on which one to fill as I need to fill 3 forms in and take it I send spouse and children forms all together as separate forms to London embassy ?
do I fill in a K3 or K4 or I-129F or go straight for I-130

Im sure once started with everyone's help I can manage the long process but I really need to make a start as we are planning on making the move Dec / Jan if all goes ok

Thank you all so much for your help
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 4:16 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Corrine82
Thank you if I could find the correct forms to fill in I could try and make a start I have read and reread the US embassy website and confused on which one to fill as I need to fill 3 forms in and take it I send spouse and children forms all together as separate forms to London embassy ?
do I fill in a K3 or K4 or I-129F or go straight for I-130

Im sure once started with everyone's help I can manage the long process but I really need to make a start as we are planning on making the move Dec / Jan if all goes ok

Thank you all so much for your help
First off, discount anything with the letter "K". You only require the I-130 .. 3 of them. One for your husband and one for each of your children. Further in the process you will require form I-864 which is the Affidavit of Support. And I-130A supplemental information about your spouse.

You will file the spouse and children's I-130's together at the same time at the address provided on the US Embassy website.

Since you are filing directly overseas for the immediate relative visas the timeline is not lengthy/long. Figure 3 to 8 months at most.

You had posted several months back about the Affidavit of Support. You were also told that your children need the IR-1 but once they enter the POE and their passports are examined and stamped, they will become US Citizens.

Last edited by Rete; Mar 2nd 2018 at 4:21 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 4:19 pm
Concierge

This is the website you should be using.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/embassy-con...30filing-html/
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

Perfect that is so helpful I will make a start see how I get on