Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Re: Interview for I-485,what is next??

Re: Interview for I-485,what is next??

Old Feb 24th 2001, 8:40 pm
Rajeev Khanna

Hi: I have been sponsored by my wife (Permanet Resident) in 1995 for the adjustment of
status. I got EAD a year ago and now my interview date is finally next month. Can anyone
tell me from experience what do they ask in interview.What I should be taking with me at
the time of interview. Once the interview is done, will they stamp my passport? how long
does it take to get the Green Card???

All help will be appreciated.

Thanks, Rajeev

Old Feb 25th 2001, 5:29 pm
Ed MacNeil

Hi Rajeev,

THIS SHOULD NOT BE CONSTRUED TO BE LEGAL ADVICE. I AM NOT A LAWYER. I DON'T EVEN PLAY
ONE ON TV!

It is usually a good idea for your wife, who is your sponsor, to accompany you.

You should bring the originals of any documents that were submitted to INS in the form of
photocopies. It is also a good idea to bring evidence that your marriage is a genuine one.
Such things as birth certificates of any children, evidence of jointly owned property or
financial accounts and photos showing you both together are sometimes helpful. You do not
need to volunteer any of this material unless asked. Also be sure that you and your spouse
bring some form of photo identification.

You should understand that the task of the INS officer is to determine if you are eligible
to adjust your status. He/she will therefore probably concentrate on issues directly
bearing on your admissibility. Some of the areas you can expect may be touched on will be
and arrests or other possible criminal activity, involvement with either the Communist or
Nazi parties, persecution of any other person. The form I-485 that you submitted to adjust
your status has, on page 3, a number of "Yes/No" questions. Each of these questions
reflects some area of inadmissibility. You might like to look these questions over again
before your interview as they provide a pretty good outline of the areas of interest.

If it is obvious that you are qualified to adjust, the INS officer will probably stamp
your passport. If he/she has any remaining questions or doubts he/she may want a
supervisor to look over your file and the notes from your interview. If this is the case,
you will be told. There are no hard and fast rules about how long it will take for you to
receive the actual green card, but you will be a permanent resident from the time your
passport is stamped.

Ed MacNeil Ancient Aviator North Hampton, NH, USA

Rajeev Khanna wrote:

> Hi: I have been sponsored by my wife (Permanet Resident) in 1995 for the adjustment of
> status. I got EAD a year ago and now my interview date is finally next month. Can anyone
> tell me from experience what do they ask in interview.What I should be taking with me at
> the time of interview. Once the interview is done, will they stamp my passport? how long
> does it take to get the Green Card???
>
> All help will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Rajeev

Old Feb 26th 2001, 12:48 am
LGS2

Rajeev: Don't forget to take couple of checks (old) and statements of joint bank accounts,
copy of tax returns for the last 3 years, rental contracts in both names, car insurance,
drivers licenses, in general, everything that can prove that you have lived together and
your marrige is genuine... If you have that, it won't take more than 15 minutes....They
just ask a few things, nothing to be scared of...By all means, take your wife with you...
Good luck...

lyuba

=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A 0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0

Old Feb 27th 2001, 4:00 am
Anonymous

Rajeev Khanna wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

Here is a nice list: http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/AOS2.html. It's probably more
than you actually need, because you have been married so long.

If all goes well, and your documentation is in order, they will grant you permanent
resident status and stamp your passport at the interview, with a stamp valid for one year.
It takes six to ten months to get your green card, more or less, depending on which INS
office processes it.

Old Feb 27th 2001, 3:29 pm
Koen van der Drift

On Sun, 25 Feb 2001, LGS2 wrote:

>
    >
    >

Should we bring our kids?

- Koen.