Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Questions regarding Interview. Please help

Questions regarding Interview. Please help

Old Jul 11th 2005, 4:40 am
Yup, yup!

sohanhalwa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions regarding Interview. Please help

I am sponsoring my husband for U.S. Imagration and we just got our interview letter today and I am VERY nervous and I have a few questions and I hope someone can help me out.

After my marriage I moved to Georgia with my husband. I used to have a well paying job in California but as my teaching credential is not valid here I do not have such a job here. I was doing very well up until 5 months ago when my husband was offered a job with a university for $32,000. a year and so we moved across the state to a small town which has few places of employment. I was unemployed for 4 months and now I am making low wages but, due to my husbands income we are stilll well above the required income. My last years tax return still shows me making above the required Income but my current employ does not. Will this cause a problem in the interview.

Has anyone gone through the interview? How is it. Ours seems a very basic case husband is and has always been in status. We can easily prove we have been married. We did live seperatly for the first few months we were married due to me being in a teaching contract in california and my husband having to stay in school for his student status at the time. But we have been living together for well over a year now and have tons of paper to prove it.

Thanks

Aisha
Old Jul 11th 2005, 5:06 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions regarding Interview. Please help

Salaam Aisha

Congratulations on your upcoming interview (ours is next Wednesday, coming up very soon!)

You should complete a new I-864 for the interview. Your husband can complete an I-864A so his income can be included with yours, and you can meet the financial requirement that way. Unless he came in on a K-1, you should be fine. Sometimes K-1 entries are not allowed to use their income to satisfy the financial requiremtns (kind of a gray area of the law). But since you've been together over a year, I think you should be OK.

Also, don't worry about living separately at first. You had valid reasons to do so. There are many couples where one has to go to work or school out of state. My husband and I are actually one of those couples, also.

Keep your eyes open here next Wednesday afternoon ... I'll try to post our interview experience that day.

Best Wishes!
Rene
p.s. - I love both sohan and halwa.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 12:13 am
Yup, yup!

Smile Re: Questions regarding Interview. Please help

Wasalaam Rene

Thanks so much for the reply It makes me feel better. My husband did not come in on K1, as he was already in the US for five and a half years on student status when we marred and in status the whole time. We just requested a change of status. So I think everything will go fine InshaAllah.

I just keep reminding myself that the worst case scenerio is we go back to Pakistan and live with my ln laws. (and I get fat eating the sweets from the great sweet shop downstairs lol) But I have to admit I am spoiled and Pakistan is definatly the rough life.

Best wishes on your interview, I will be looking for the good news about your interview.

Best wishes Aisha
Originally Posted by Noorah101
Salaam Aisha

Congratulations on your upcoming interview (ours is next Wednesday, coming up very soon!)

You should complete a new I-864 for the interview. Your husband can complete an I-864A so his income can be included with yours, and you can meet the financial requirement that way. Unless he came in on a K-1, you should be fine. Sometimes K-1 entries are not allowed to use their income to satisfy the financial requiremtns (kind of a gray area of the law). But since you've been together over a year, I think you should be OK.

Also, don't worry about living separately at first. You had valid reasons to do so. There are many couples where one has to go to work or school out of state. My husband and I are actually one of those couples, also.

Keep your eyes open here next Wednesday afternoon ... I'll try to post our interview experience that day.

Best Wishes!
Rene
p.s. - I love both sohan and halwa.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

bionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Noorah101

You should complete a new I-864 for the interview. Your husband can complete an I-864A so his income can be included with yours, and you can meet the financial requirement that way. Unless he came in on a K-1, you should be fine.

Actually, in this case, I don't believe the husband needs to fill in an I-864A. On the I-751 instructions it suggests that a Household Member who is also the immigrant being sponsored is only required to file an I-864A if the sponsored immigrant is using his/her income to determine the primary sponsor's ability to support a spouse or children that are also immigrating with him/her.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 5:03 am

Trent is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sohanhalwa
..(and I get fat eating the sweets from the great sweet shop downstairs lol) ...
No wonder why your nick is sohanhalwa.

Ok as for your I-864 since your husband alone is making sufficiently to cover for the 125% above-poverty guidelines, he can qualify with his own income.

This is from USCIS.GOV:

Are there any exceptions to the sponsorship requirements?
There is no need to submit a Form I-864 if the intending immigrant can show EITHER that the intending immigrant has already worked, or can be credited with, 40 qualifying quarters as defined in title II of the Social Security Act OR that the intending immigrant is the child of a citizen and that the intending immigrant, if admitted for permanent residence on or after February 27, 2001, would automatically acquire citizenship under § 320 of the Immigration and Nationality Act, as amended by the Child Citizenship Act of 2000. For more specific information about these exceptions, please see the May 2001 section of the “New USCIS Policy and Procedural Memoranda�.

Taken from:
http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/affsupp.htm#arethere

Hope this helps!

Good luck with your interview!

-- "Information is the most powerful weapon." - (Anonymous)

Last edited by Trent; Jul 12th 2005 at 5:16 am.
Old Jul 13th 2005, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

carpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Trent
No wonder why your nick is sohanhalwa.

Ok as for your I-864 since your husband alone is making sufficiently to cover for the 125% above-poverty guidelines, he can qualify with his own income.

This is from USCIS.GOV:

Are there any exceptions to the sponsorship requirements?
There is no need to submit a Form I-864 if the intending immigrant can show EITHER that the intending immigrant has already worked, or can be credited with, 40 qualifying quarters as defined in title II of the Social Security Act OR that the intending immigrant is the child of a citizen and that the intending immigrant, if admitted for permanent residence on or after February 27, 2001, would automatically acquire citizenship under § 320 of the Immigration and Nationality Act, as amended by the Child Citizenship Act of 2000. For more specific information about these exceptions, please see the May 2001 section of the “New USCIS Policy and Procedural Memoranda�.

Taken from:
http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/affsupp.htm#arethere

Hope this helps!

Good luck with your interview!

-- "Information is the most powerful weapon." - (Anonymous)
I am craving SohanHalwa now...

Sanna
Old Jul 13th 2005, 5:58 pm
Yup, yup!

Wink Re: Questions regarding Interview. Please help

Me too.......... darn I miss my Sweet shop lol. Can't get decent sweets in the US always tooo much Ghee.

Thanks so much for the advice All. I feel better I am still nervous. But it will be on to the next step in a couple months.

Good luck to all I will be looking to see how you all do.

Aisha

Originally Posted by carpdiem
I am craving SoanHalwa now...

Sanna