Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Question for form i-130

Question for form i-130

Old Nov 9th 2017, 11:56 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question for form i-130

Originally Posted by stu_blue
She did earn way over that for 2 of the years tax returns but just not the recent one.

It's crazy they don't ask what I have as i have a lot of savings to bring over

Stu

Have you read the I-864? Have you read any of the wiki information on the I-864? Have you searched on here for threads about the I-864?

You situation is one where you are married. As a married couple, your money is her money and her money is your money in the eyes of the USCIS. You can use both her accounts and her salary and your savings to meet the financial criteria.

The one thing I am not 100% sure of is if you can self-sponsor without her input. Rene/Noorah is the expert on that and she will help you out if that is the way you choose to go if it is possible.

I know all of this is very new to both you and her and if can be confusing and befuddling but, honestly, you need to do a little homework on the whole process from start to finish. There is a lot that you need to do between now and the interview at the US Embassy in London. I've always found it is better to know the entire process and then tackle each component as it comes up.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

stu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Stu

Have you read the I-864? Have you read any of the wiki information on the I-864? Have you searched on here for threads about the I-864?

You situation is one where you are married. As a married couple, your money is her money and her money is your money in the eyes of the USCIS. You can use both her accounts and her salary and your savings to meet the financial criteria.

The one thing I am not 100% sure of is if you can self-sponsor without her input. Rene/Noorah is the expert on that and she will help you out if that is the way you choose to go if it is possible.

I know all of this is very new to both you and her and if can be confusing and befuddling but, honestly, you need to do a little homework on the whole process from start to finish. There is a lot that you need to do between now and the interview at the US Embassy in London. I've always found it is better to know the entire process and then tackle each component as it comes up.
I need to read up but rushing to get this done soon as we want to get married again in October next year and i leave soon.

I am trying to help her get this I864 done ready for when she needs to send it as i wont be here to help her.

It's odd as I completed the form and it said out household was 5 and it is her and 2 kids and me. I completed the principal immigrant as me and wondering if that can be left as I don't know why it would say 5 of us??

Once we get the i130 and i131 done it's out the way but it's stressing us both out so that's why i want to help her get this other form done way before we need to for her finances
Old Nov 10th 2017, 6:06 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Stu,

It clearly says on the I-864 not to count anyone twice, so the total household size is 4.

It's nice that you're helping her, but if you are just now filing the I-130, then the I-864 won't be due for another 5+ months or so. The poverty guideline figures get updated every April, so if the I-864 becomes due around then, the income/ asset requirement will increase anyway.

Her income will cover some of the requirement. The rest can be made up by using assets; cash in the bank works best, but property value can be used too. Assets are considered joint, since you are married. So your savings in the UK can count as an asset. Assets need to be 3x the amount lacking in income. (Rete said 5x, but it's 3x for the spouse of the USC).

If you don't have enough in income and assets, a joint sponsor can be used.

Rene
Old Nov 10th 2017, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

stu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Stu,

It clearly says on the I-864 not to count anyone twice, so the total household size is 4.

It's nice that you're helping her, but if you are just now filing the I-130, then the I-864 won't be due for another 5+ months or so. The poverty guideline figures get updated every April, so if the I-864 becomes due around then, the income/ asset requirement will increase anyway.

Her income will cover some of the requirement. The rest can be made up by using assets; cash in the bank works best, but property value can be used too. Assets are considered joint, since you are married. So your savings in the UK can count as an asset. Assets need to be 3x the amount lacking in income. (Rete said 5x, but it's 3x for the spouse of the USC).

Rene
Hi Rene

The form auto calculated 5 people in the household and when I went back and checked it made no sense to me how it got that total.

Also is their an option on the one form for me to add finances in too or would I have to do a form while I’m over in the UK?

I’ll be glad when all this is done in the next 6 to 10 months.

Just looking forward to our Vegas marriage ceremony now in October. Either way if the visa is not through I’ll just come on and esta anyway for a few weeks.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 1:12 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Just try the I-864 again, there is a spot that says don't count anyone twice. A lot of people find this confusing, you are not alone. The correct total is 4 for you.

Yes, where it asks for assets, that is where you list your UK savings, calculated in USD. There is not another form for you to do.

When I say "you" here, of course I mean the USC spouse, as she is the one who completes and signs the I-864.

Rene
Old Nov 10th 2017, 1:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Stu,

Rene

Hmmm, thought it was 3 if they were both in the UK and 5 if the US spouse was in the US.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rene

The form auto calculated 5 people in the household and when I went back and checked it made no sense to me how it got that total.

Also is their an option on the one form for me to add finances in too or would I have to do a form while I’m over in the UK?

I’ll be glad when all this is done in the next 6 to 10 months.

Just looking forward to our Vegas marriage ceremony now in October. Either way if the visa is not through I’ll just come on and esta anyway for a few weeks.
The I-864 is one form, and it's filled out by your wife. There isn't another form for you to fill in - all your assets are going to be listed on the I-864.

I'd just like to echo something Rete said, above - I think you might be making things over-complicated for yourself by concentrating on things that are quite far ahead. It's a very good idea to familiarise yourself with the process, sure, but you're still sorting out your I-130 - you have months to wait before you need to be filling in your I-864. It's wise to make sure you meet the guidelines, absolutely, but don't concern yourself too much with filling out that form until you've at least got the first ones finished.

Be cautious with your timeline, too. My husband and I just went through the CR-1 process and it took 13 months in total. This was through no complication or purposeful delays on our part - that is simply how long the process took. Hopefully yours will be shorter - we were certainly unlucky by the average standards. But be careful that you aren't forking out loads of money for non-refundable wedding-related stuff when it might serve you better to be in the UK next October if that might be when your interview gets scheduled, etc.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
Hmmm, thought it was 3 if they were both in the UK and 5 if the US spouse was in the US.
No....it's always 3x for the spouse of a USC no matter where they are. It's 5x for everyone else (joint sponsor, for example).

Rene
Old Nov 10th 2017, 2:15 pm
Concierge

No....it's always 3x for the spouse of a USC no matter where they are. It's 5x for everyone else (joint sponsor, for example).

Rene
Thank you, Rene .... you are a wealth of information!
Old Nov 16th 2017, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

for section - NAME OF BENEFICIARY SPOUSES she has completed 21a to 21c and left 22 balnk as the marriage has not ended but it wont allow me to enter present on the computer.

It then says in the next section - INFORMATION ABOUT BENEFICIARY FAMILY (provide information about beneficiary spouse and children.

Does she need to enter her name again in part 25A - PERSON 1 as she has already done that in part 21a and if so would we have to list her kids that are now my kids as we are married?

Also in the part that says have you ever lived together? I have put never lived together but I have stayed their weekends as I work in a different state so only stay at weekends and stay in a hotel the rest of the time? I do have mail going to that address so should I put i have lived there?

Last edited by stu_blue; Nov 16th 2017 at 11:43 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 11:27 am

Yes
Yes
No, you only visited. You didn't live there.

Rene
Old Nov 17th 2017, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Yes
Yes
No, you only visited. You didn't live there.

Rene
Hi Rene,

So yes to enter her name and yes to enter her kids names? if so for relationship with the kids they are my step daughter and son so would I out that?
Old Nov 17th 2017, 3:51 pm

Yes, list everyone. Yes, they are your step children.

Rene
Old Nov 17th 2017, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by KK85
The I-864 is one form, and it's filled out by your wife. There isn't another form for you to fill in - all your assets are going to be listed on the I-864.

I'd just like to echo something Rete said, above - I think you might be making things over-complicated for yourself by concentrating on things that are quite far ahead. It's a very good idea to familiarise yourself with the process, sure, but you're still sorting out your I-130 - you have months to wait before you need to be filling in your I-864. It's wise to make sure you meet the guidelines, absolutely, but don't concern yourself too much with filling out that form until you've at least got the first ones finished.

Be cautious with your timeline, too. My husband and I just went through the CR-1 process and it took 13 months in total. This was through no complication or purposeful delays on our part - that is simply how long the process took. Hopefully yours will be shorter - we were certainly unlucky by the average standards. But be careful that you aren't forking out loads of money for non-refundable wedding-related stuff when it might serve you better to be in the UK next October if that might be when your interview gets scheduled, etc.
Hi,

We have a date booked for the wedding on October 20th next year so regardless of this process I would come over anyway for 2 weeks then fly back to the UK. I could come over on an ESTA.

We are married so this is just for everyone who never came to the wedding and who also don't know we are married already.

Hopefully the process will be quicker
Old Nov 17th 2017, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

We have a date booked for the wedding on October 20th next year so regardless of this process I would come over anyway for 2 weeks then fly back to the UK. I could come over on an ESTA.

We are married so this is just for everyone who never came to the wedding and who also don't know we are married already.

Hopefully the process will be quicker
If you are already legally married, you can't get married again.

You can have a renewal of vows ceremony or a ceremony to celebrate your wedding but you can't officially marry again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.