Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Questions about Affidavit of support (i-864)

Questions about Affidavit of support (i-864)

Old Sep 14th 2017, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

Carabonara is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions about Affidavit of support (i-864)

Hi,

I don't know if this is even the right place to ask, but I don't know where else to go. So we have our visa interview booked for the 27th of September and are going through the forms we will need and are having a few issues with the affidavit of support form.

1. My husband is a US citizen who has been living in the UK for the last 3 years on a student visa. He worked at Mcdonald's for 2 of these years (~march 2015 - march 2017), working less than 20 hours per week, as per his visa restrictions. He obviously did not make enough money during this time to need to file taxes in the US. He briefly worked in the US for the summer before he moved to the UK, again not making enough to file taxes, however his parents decided to file for him (without asking, I don't know why they did this). We do not have this information and they say they are unable to provide this for us. This falls in the last 3 tax years and, as he did technically file a tax return, he has stated this on the form...but we don't know the total income. How can we fill this section out? Is it that important when we're using a joint sponsor to cover pretty much 100% of the financial requirement?

2. We are using his aunt as a joint sponsor. Neither my husband nor I work yet (we both just graduated university), so we are relying on her income to meet the threshold. She has completely filled out the affidavit of support form, so that's all good. My question is...for my husband's form, where it asks for household size...is this referring to the household size of his aunt's house in the US (where we are both going to live once we move to the US) ??? Or is this referring to where we are currently living, which is with my parents...?

3. The form also asks about assets and mentions the balance of bank accounts. We have roughly $8500 between us in UK bank accounts...is it worth putting this information down?
Old Sep 14th 2017, 4:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about Affidavit of support (i-864)

Originally Posted by Carabonara
This falls in the last 3 tax years and, as he did technically file a tax return...
He is not responsible for what his parents have done. The truth is he did not file a tax return.

How can we fill this section out?
He should indicate what income he earned, and then attach a note indicating that it is below the IRS threshold for filing a return. It's the note that will cover you regarding his tax returns.

Is it that important when we're using a joint sponsor to cover pretty much 100% of the financial requirement?
No, not really. But to clarify, the joint sponsor isn't covering "pretty much 100%"... she is covering exactly all 100%.

We are using his aunt as a joint sponsor.
Good, because your in-laws sound like idiots.

My question is...for my husband's form, where it asks for household size...is this referring to the household size of his aunt's house in the US (where we are both going to live once we move to the US) ??? Or is this referring to where we are currently living, which is with my parents...?
Both your husband and his aunt must complete an I-864. For your husband, his household size is 2: him + you. For the aunt, her household size is however many people reside with her now + you. She needs sufficient income to cover her current household + you.

The form also asks about assets and mentions the balance of bank accounts. We have roughly $8500 between us in UK bank accounts...is it worth putting this information down?
If it asks for the information, yes - provide it. It'll make no difference whatsoever... they're just being nosey!

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Sep 14th 2017 at 4:29 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Carabonara is an unknown quantity at this point

I just wanted to say thank you!

We followed your advice and the visa was approved no problem. We decided to just say my husband didn't file any tax returns. The man at the document collection desk said the officer may tell us to file with the IRS, but he didn't mention anything. So it's all good!

Thanks again.

((Also, we think it's hilarious you can tell my in-laws are idiots from just this much haha))
Old Oct 1st 2017, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

AndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear the interview went to plan

Feel free to give us a rundown on how your day went.