Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Problem hit...Ds260 locked

Problem hit...Ds260 locked

Old Apr 26th 2017, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

elizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Problem hit...Ds260 locked

Hi all,

So I'll try and keep this brief but a few years back we planned to move back to the states (I'm a UKC my husband is a USC) we were half way through the paper work and we decided to stay here in the UK.

Fast forward to NOV we decided as a family that we want to move back to the States, we spoke to immigration and they said we could carry on with the previous case if we paid a fee which we did, they said we would be where we left off which was at the step for the affidavit of support. Now my husband called because the DS260 was showing complete but they did say it would need to be complete it, he was advised that if its already been filled out it was fine! He said we had moved since we originally completed it and they said "no problem, we can change the address over the phone" which they did. We gathered the documents and sent in the affidavits of support in Feb and have not heard back.

We have called a couple times for an update and was told it could take 6-8 weeks. My Husband called yesterday to be told that the DS260 needs to be complete before they will even look at the affidavit of support!!! He explained what we were told but we have been told are need to now have a supervisor unlock the ds260 and this itself can take 6 weeks!!! Once its complete then we have to wait possibly another 6 weeks for the affidavit of support.
Its so frustrating.

Now we have booked flights for July 10th but if it comes to it my husband and kids will go then and I will stay here and wait till I have my visa in hand. But whilst my husband was just on the phone to the visa helpline he asked if I could fly to the states with them in July and carry on the paper work there the guy said that we can send an email and ask that our case is expedited, but I highly doubt ours falls under the reasons why we need it expedited.

Does anyone know a way to speed things up? Is there a way for me to fly over with them LEGALLY (I don't want to be breaking rules) and finish the visa process from the states?

Thanks

Kelly
Old Apr 26th 2017, 11:58 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problem hit...Ds260 locked

Originally Posted by elizabethsmum
Does anyone know a way to speed things up?
This, I don't know.

Is there a way for me to fly over with them LEGALLY (I don't want to be breaking rules) and finish the visa process from the states?
No. A visa is a travel document and visas are issued at a US Consulate abroad. There are no US Consulates in the US. Without the visa in your passport, you can't fly to the US to seek admission as the spouse of a USC.

Ian
Old Apr 26th 2017, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

elizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ian, I thought that was the answer. We now will just have to wait and possibly will be apart for a while which is not ideal but not much I can do.Kelly
Old Apr 26th 2017, 3:50 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

You could always use the VWP (if eligible) to be with your family visiting in the US until your interview is scheduled.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 4:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
You could always use the VWP (if eligible) to be with your family visiting in the US until your interview is scheduled.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

If I did that will that cause any issues with getting my visa approved? I'm just thinking cost wise it might be better to spend a couple months apart :-(
Old Apr 26th 2017, 5:37 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

None at all - you are allowed to visit the US while an immigrant visa is pending.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Ok ty I'm going to have a look, this may be a better option actually cost aside I can then be with my daughter on her first day at school.