Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Ok anyone here get married in 3rd country?

Ok anyone here get married in 3rd country?

Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

sunny08 is a jewel in the roughsunny08 is a jewel in the roughsunny08 is a jewel in the roughsunny08 is a jewel in the rough
Default Ok anyone here get married in 3rd country?

As in my fiance' is UKC and I am USC and say we wanted to go to a Sandals resort and get married in Jamaica or something??? Is this possible or do we need to stay in US or UK to get married??? We are just scared he gets to Michigan then we go to Jamaica or wherever to get married...he is worried about then getting back into US....??? Thanks!
Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:33 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ok anyone here get married in 3rd country?

Originally Posted by sunny08
As in my fiance' is UKC and I am USC and say we wanted to go to a Sandals resort and get married in Jamaica or something??? Is this possible or do we need to stay in US or UK to get married??? We are just scared he gets to Michigan then we go to Jamaica or wherever to get married...he is worried about then getting back into US....??? Thanks!
You're doing a K-1 fiance visa, right? If so, you MUST get married in the USA. Doesn't matter what state (although I don't recommend Hawaii or Alaska because it could involve mishaps outside the USA).

Once he has his AP in hand, you can then go on a nice honeymoon outside the USA.

Rene
Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:34 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Complete thoughts net complete answers.

You can get married anywhere you want. Is there something else to consider here?
Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

sunny08 is a jewel in the roughsunny08 is a jewel in the roughsunny08 is a jewel in the roughsunny08 is a jewel in the rough

Yes we are doing a K1, so that means we have to get married (preferablly) in the continental US correct? Ok and what is the AP is that what we file for after we are married the adjustment status stuff? So we cannot have the fiance' visa on hand go to an all inclusive in Jamaica and get married? I figured this was the case but wanted to make 100% sure before getting the idea completely out of our heads haha.....
Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we are doing a K1, so that means we have to get married (preferablly) in the continental US correct? Ok and what is the AP is that what we file for after we are married the adjustment status stuff? So we cannot have the fiance' visa on hand go to an all inclusive in Jamaica and get married? I figured this was the case but wanted to make 100% sure before getting the idea completely out of our heads haha.....
Once he enters the USA using the K-1, he needs to stay inside the USA until he has Advance Parole (the travel document which you apply for along with AOS), or his green card.

Think of it this way: If he gets awarded his K-1 visa, and you guys want to then meet in a 3rd country and get married (before he comes to the USA), then he doesn't qualify to enter the USA using the K-1 anymore, since he will now be married.

Or this way: He arrives on his K-1 visa, stays a few weeks, and then you want to hop over outside the USA for the wedding. He has no means of returning to the USA - his K-1 is used up, and he has no Advance Parole or Green Card to allow him entry to the USA again.

It takes about 60 days to get the AP from the time you submit AOS. So you can take a nice honeymoon a couple of months after you get married inside the USA.

Rene
Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Rene that makes crystal clear sense to me now Still bummed as we wanted to escape and get married haha but guess we will have to find a US location to do that at now heehee
Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:52 pm

Thanks Rene that makes crystal clear sense to me now Still bummed as we wanted to escape and get married haha but guess we will have to find a US location to do that at now heehee
Lake Tahoe on the California/Nevada border is absolutely gorgeous! If I could, I'd go back in time and get married there, overlooking the lake!

http://www.visitinglaketahoe.com/

Rene
Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

Oh wow that is gorgeous! I luckily live right down the street from Lake Michigan here too though so we also could get married at a myriad of parks/lighthouses etc here but it is sooo hard not knowing when he will actually be here (and what season!). We are thinking for sure by fall but who knows ya know? So really we have about 3 months to reserve somewhere since we are most likely going to want to cash that K1 in ASAP once he has it! Thanks Rene I am going to bookmark Tahoe as a location idea!!!
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

We are thinking for sure by fall but who knows ya know? So really we have about 3 months to reserve somewhere since we are most likely going to want to cash that K1 in ASAP once he has it!
You might want to consider something a bit closer to home, albeit a bit farther north... Mackinaw City or perhaps even Sault Ste. Marie! Absolutely breathtaking in the fall. Of course, if you do go to the "Soo", make sure you don't cross over into Canada! But you can wave!

Ian
Old Feb 8th 2008, 3:08 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

Hawaii, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands for tropical paradise.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 12:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Hawaii, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands for tropical paradise.
Folks on here seem to advise against that, in case the plane made an emergency landing somewhere else, and then they couldn't get back into the country.

Do you have an opinion on that?