NYC campout experience

Old Oct 7th 2003, 2:26 am
Just Joined

littlefrog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NYC campout experience

This is for the benefit of people who, like me, are over the 90 day limit and need their EAD right away.

Here's my situation: applied for renewal EAD, yellow receipt date 06/06/03. My last EAD expired at the end of August. I received one of those NOA mid-september and made a biometrics appointment... But then i realized that they wouldn't give me the physical card at the support center before some undetermined amount of time... and i need it ASAP so i figured i would try the camp-out thing.

Here's what i did:
Got there at 3 am with my husband, was number 17 on the line - the second guy from the front was keeping a list of names, but it turned out to be pretty useless, as the security guard completely ignored it. ( i actually heard 2 guards joking to each other once i was in, saying that they only bothered to intervene if there was an actual dispute between people waiting in line)
I realized that i could have just walked in at 7am only once i saw that there were only few people that day asking for same-day EADs (there was never more than 40 people in the room, including the people who had appointments.) That might have been because of the day i chose to do the camp-out, or just because the new support center system is working and relieving NYC, i don't know...But obviously, I had no way of knowing beforehand that i didn't have to spend part of the night - and there WAS a long line by 5-5:30, but a lot of the people weren't there for EADs, it turns out.

So, i got there all bundled up, onion-style, and with a couple of scarves and 2 army blankets. There's a deli that's opened 24-hours 2 blocks higher up on Broadway. They have soups, coffee and all. My husband got a really good idea to keep us warm (it wasn't THAT cold, but not moving and being sleepy makes you really cold) He bought a big bottle of water, emptied it and filled it up with super hot water ordinarily meant for customers buying tea. That really helped keep the both of us warm for a few hours. (mr. littlefrog says careful, though, the water is VERY very hot, and you don't want to burn yourself if the bottle leaks, also choose a sturdy bottle, the plastic will crumple a little but it will hold) It's also very comforting to have a steady source of warmth. If i had to do it again, i would bring a couple cheap fold up lawn chairs, as i think it's easier on your butt than cold concrete and colder marble. But keep in mind you can't bring them inside.
The MacDonald across the street opens at 5:30, so you can use their bathroom. I got inside the building at 7 am, my husband went home with the blankets and all so i wouldn't be burdened. The guard separated everyone in 2 lines (EAD, and "everything else") So I ended up being number 8 or so... but it didn't do me much good as i got my EAD at 3 pm only, i.e. 12 hours later, and the order in which you arrived didn't matter in the end, they called people to have their pics taken in random groups.
I have to say that in spite of the boredom of such a long wait, it was pretty smooth. And for once, the people inside were nice (at least, as long as you understand english well...) They first send you to a room on the first floor to get a green request form, and then you go to a smallish room on the 7th floor.
They asked to see my marriage certificate, yellow receipt, passport with I94 and previous EADs (i only had copies)
Literally nothing happened until 2pm. So i went to the first floor kiosk to get the papers, snacks, etc... People were sleeping (no power-hungry security guard in sight) and even eating!

So that's that... I'm really happy i got my new EAD, valid for 1 year, and i won't have to worry about the BCIS sending it to me in the mail.
I'm absolutely exhausted now, good luck to all!
Old Oct 8th 2003, 3:00 am
Just Joined

Tanon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fed Plaza and EAD

LittleFrog - Congratulations to you.

A question about that Fed Plaza line: The last few times I have passed by Federal Plaza fairly late at night, there has been no line at all for entrance the next day. About a month ago, the line started forming at about 8pm.., with people settling in with sleeping bags etc. Have they stopped taking walk ins, are they not allowing people to line up outside Federal Plaza anymore???? Your experience suggests that they are still taking walk-ins but that one only needs to get in line early in the morning, not the night before. Please confirm.

As for the EAD, I am in your situation. I mailed my application in at the end of July. The only twist in the tale, is that I did not get any yellow receipt from them at all, only an NOA 1.5 months (mid-September) later from the MSC. So I have no proof that I applied in July except the FedEx record that shows clearly that the package was signed for by a BCIS agent at the end of July. Do you think that they will accept this FedEx notice as proof that I did apply in July, and that I am eligible to apply for the interim EAD 90 days thereafter? If I wait for 90 days after mid-September I am in a real soup workwise and financially.

Thanks for your opinions and those of any others browsing.
Old Oct 9th 2003, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

littlefrog is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes i can confirm that they accept walk-ins for a same-day EAD at Federal Plaza. I think they have to, since by law (i believe), they have to give you an interim EAD after 90 days no matter what.

I'm pretty sure that if you show up at 6-6:30 and wait for the doors to open, you'll be fine (they let people inside the building at 7am). No need to get there the night before, as far as i could tell from my experience.

About your lack of yellow receipt... bring the proof that the INS cashed the check you sent with your application AND that fedex thing you mention. Also be sure to bring your previous EADs (at least photocopies of them) AND your marriage certificate (they asked to see mine). You will also have to fill out a brand new EAD application so you can bring one if you'd like to have it ready (they have some though)

Hope this answers your concerns... good luck!