Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Norfolk AOS - conflicting info re medical exam

Norfolk AOS - conflicting info re medical exam

Old Feb 5th 2004, 6:09 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Norfolk AOS - conflicting info re medical exam

In reviewing the paperwork from the initial AOS packet we got last summer, and the new packet with the AOS interview notification we got in January, we noticed Norfolk is giving us conflicting information regarding the medical exam.

The I-485 Notice cover letter that came with the AOS packet we got last summer states:

If you entered the United States as a K-1 fiance(e), no medical examination is required.

However, the AOS interview letter has a list of items with "X's" next to them which we are required to bring to the interview. One of these items states:

X - Medical exam results, Form I-693, appear even if not completed.

At the most, we thought only a vaccination supplement might be required, but there is NO mention whatsoever in either packet about a vaccination supplement. As a K-1 recipient, we thought Mark's exam at the time of his K-1 visa interview would serve as his medical exam for AOS. And the letter we got with the AOS packet backs that up. But the AOS interview letter says the exact opposite.

So, which is it??

Thanks for any and all insight anyone can provide...

~ Jenney
Old Feb 5th 2004, 6:24 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Norfolk AOS - conflicting info re medical exam

Ok - I just found this on the USCIS website under Frequently Asked Questions for Form I-693:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/i-693faq.htm

Ks: If you were admitted to the United States as a fiance(e) (K-1) ... and received a medical examination prior to admission, then you do not require another medical examination as long as your application for adjustment of status (Form I-485) is filed within one year of your overseas medical examination. You will, however, be required to submit a vaccination supplement with our adjustment of status application. The vaccination supplement must be completed by a designated civil surgeon.

Mark's medical exam was on March 24, 2003, and we mailed our completed AOS packet to Norfolk on October 15, 2003. (They received it October 17.) So obviously his medical exam was less than a year before we filed for AOS.

So why would his AOS interview letter say he needs a medical exam?? And why no mention of the vaccination supplement, since that is clearly what he needs?

~ Jenney

Last edited by Just Jenney; Feb 6th 2004 at 5:31 am.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

sal_whit will become famous soon enoughsal_whit will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Jenney & Mark
Ok - I just found this on the USCIS website under Frequently Asked Questions for Form I-693:

Ks: If you were admitted to the United States as a fiance(e) (K-1) ... and received a medical examination prior to admission, then you do not require another medical examination as long as your application for adjustment of status (Form I-485) is filed within one year of your overseas medical examination. You will, however, be required to submit a vaccination supplement with our adjustment of status application. The vaccination supplement must be completed by a designated civil surgeon.

Mark's medical exam was on March 24, 2003, and we mailed our completed AOS packet to Norfolk on October 15, 2003. (They received it October 17.) So obviously his medical exam was less than a year after we filed for AOS.

So why would his AOS interview letter say he needs a medical exam?? And why no mention of the vaccination supplement, since that is clearly what he needs?

~ Jenney
Hi Jenny

Our letter said the same,We just took a copy of the papers that were given to us by the Doctor in London.
It was a waste of time though as I was not asked for it???????
Do you still have a copy of the medical report that Mark was given at the K1 interview?????????? If so take that with you.
Unless they have changed the rules since October,which was when I had my AOS.That should be enough.
Sal
Old Feb 5th 2004, 12:27 pm
I'm back!

Originally posted by sal_whit
Hi Jenny

Our letter said the same,We just took a copy of the papers that were given to us by the Doctor in London.
It was a waste of time though as I was not asked for it???????
Do you still have a copy of the medical report that Mark was given at the K1 interview?????????? If so take that with you.
Unless they have changed the rules since October,which was when I had my AOS.That should be enough.
Sal
Mark never got a "copy" of the medical report from his K-1 interview. The only thing he got from the London doctor at his visa medical was a tube with his chest x-ray in it and a sealed brown envelope. While he still has the x-ray, the sealed envelope was handed over to officials at the POE.

Have others who've gone through London gotten copies of their medical reports from their K-1 interviews?? This is news to us.

~ Jenney
Old Feb 5th 2004, 12:45 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Have others who've gone through London gotten copies of their medical reports from their K-1 interviews?? This is news to us.
I never got mine either Jenney, (my interview & medical was in December).
I got my x-ray from the doc's and the infamous brown envelope from the Embassy which was handed in at the POE.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 3:45 pm
I love my sailor.

Marjeta is an unknown quantity at this point

Mark never got a "copy" of the medical report from his K-1 interview. The only thing he got from the London doctor at his visa medical was a tube with his chest x-ray in it and a sealed brown envelope. While he still has the x-ray, the sealed envelope was handed over to officials at the POE.
I never got a copy of anything either. The medical exam papers were put in the brown envelope and sealed (except for the x-ray, they handed me that one). I never saw anything, and I never opened the envelope obviously, I just gave it to the officer at the POE.

I haven't received the AOS interview letter yet, but when I do I will probably go ahead and take another medical if the letter says I need it.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

sal_whit will become famous soon enoughsal_whit will become famous soon enough

~ Jenney
Hi Jenny

I may have worded this wrong!!!!!!!!!The Doc gave me a copy of of my ( as it says on the top of this paper here ) Vaccination Documentation worksheet..... it states at the bottom of the sheet give copy to applicant.
It was signed and stamped by the Doc and thats all I took with me for my AOS interview.

Sal
Old Feb 5th 2004, 4:29 pm

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mark's medical exam was on March 24, 2003, and we mailed our completed AOS packet to Norfolk on October 15, 2003. (They received it October 17.) So obviously his medical exam was less than a year after we filed for AOS.

~ Jenney
I was also very confused by all this. I thought the K1 medical was valid for 1 yr, and then you had to get another one. USCIS say "filed" within 1 yr, but if your AOS interview itself is after the 1 yr validity of your K1 medical, doesn't that mean you'd have to get another medical? I still have my x-ray, as the POE officer never took it from me, and I have proof of my vaccinations, but I don't know whether to have another full medical or not.

Just another of the quirky contradictions that USCIS throws upon us to make our brains hurt!

Kate. xxxx
Old Feb 5th 2004, 4:34 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by katesuiter1
I was also very confused by all this. I thought the K1 medical was valid for 1 yr, and then you had to get another one. USCIS say "filed" within 1 yr, but if your AOS interview itself is after the 1 yr validity of your K1 medical, doesn't that mean you'd have to get another medical? I still have my x-ray, as the POE officer never took it from me, and I have proof of my vaccinations, but I don't know whether to have another full medical or not.

Just another of the quirky contradictions that USCIS throws upon us to make our brains hurt!

Kate. xxxx
I also didn't get a copy of anything from Dr Phelan's, other than the X-ray. No vaccination worksheet either - although I still have my proof of vaccinations. It does seem ridiculous to have to have another medical exam .... can anyone who has had their AOS interview recently please clarify?

Debbie
Old Feb 6th 2004, 5:47 am
I'm back!

Originally posted by katesuiter1

Kate. xxxx
I'm in complete agreement with you!! But what you said makes sense regarding the one-year validity. We'd just really prefer to save the $$$ for something more pressing than having to prove AGAIN that Mark is fit and healthy.

Well, ironically enough, today we (finally!) got a letter from Norfolk informing Mark that his EAD application has been approved - yay!! We can't make his appointment date so we're going as soon as we can, which is in two weeks. Mark will bring the two letters I described in my first post and ask someone there to explain the contradiction about the medical. Hopefully we'll get a definitive answer and have something to report back...

~ Jenney
Old Feb 6th 2004, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

kitty-uk is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in complete agreement with you!! But what you said makes sense regarding the one-year validity. We'd just really prefer to save the $$$ for something more pressing than having to prove AGAIN that Mark is fit and healthy.

Well, ironically enough, today we (finally!) got a letter from Norfolk informing Mark that his EAD application has been approved - yay!! We can't make his appointment date so we're going as soon as we can, which is in two weeks. Mark will bring the two letters I described in my first post and ask someone there to explain the contradiction about the medical. Hopefully we'll get a definitive answer and have something to report back...

~ Jenney
Hi All

I just had my AOS interview in San Antonio.

I was sent the same form asking me for the full med here, but right at the back of the med form you might find one sheet of paper thats the vaccunation sup.

I missed it more than once when reading the hole form ... so it might be worth other look...
Old Feb 6th 2004, 11:26 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

~ Jenney

It'd be great if you let us know what they say. I don't know if it'll apply to me, as I filed at a different office, and they probably have a different rule (like they do! ), but at least we'll all have an idea.

Many congrats on the EAD!!!!!

Kate. xxxx