Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Original Police certificates essential?

Original Police certificates essential?

Old Oct 29th 2018, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

theroon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Original Police certificates essential?

Hi all,

I wonder if anybody could help me with the following query. I lived in Italy for 10 years so need to obtain police records. After having no luck with the Procura di Roma, I paid extra to get the certificates via an agency. They did a great job and emailed me copies of both certificates. Unfortunately the hard copies of the certificates haven't arrived...very reliable Italian postal service. I need to get the certificates translated and don't know whether I can just use the email certificates, or do I have to go through the whole process again and pay for new certificates and then a courier??

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 29th 2018, 4:19 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Original Police certificates essential?

Generally speaking, you need to be able to produce originals if asked for them.
Old Oct 29th 2018, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by civilservant
Generally speaking, you need to be able to produce originals if asked for them.
Yeah, that's what I feared. I just don't want to have to pay yet another £150 to get the same certificates and ensure they are delivered, and then have to pay for the translations etc. Very expensive business. Having said that, if I just rely on the photocopies and they are not accepted at the interview it will really delay me.

Do you happen to know if they certificates also need to be translated and legalised in Italy or can I do that in the UK? The less I have to rely on Italian institutions, the better.
Old Oct 29th 2018, 4:35 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The translations can be done by anyone who is fluent in both languages, anywhere in the world. It doesn't have to be a professional translation service. The translator just has to sign a form (that you can type up yourself) stating that they are fluent in both languages and that this is a true and correct translation of the document.

Rene
Old Oct 29th 2018, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The translations can be done by anyone who is fluent in both languages, anywhere in the world. It doesn't have to be a professional translation service. The translator just has to sign a form (that you can type up yourself) stating that they are fluent in both languages and that this is a true and correct translation of the document.

Rene
Wonderful, thank you. Would you risk just the email attachments or go through the who process again and then pay a courier to delivery them?
Old Oct 29th 2018, 6:21 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Again, you NEED to originals. While the translation can be made from a copy, you still need them in case asked.
Old Oct 29th 2018, 6:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it would depend on how official the original looks...like if it had colors or raised stamp or something.

Rene