Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

New requirement for medical in London - May 2017

New requirement for medical in London - May 2017

Old May 8th 2017, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

viitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: New requirement for medical in London - May 2017

So they are basically taking everything and sending it somewhere else? lol.. For the price you'd at least expect it inhouse at least!? lol..

How did you find the medical exam? I'm just about to file my 1-i30 (well my husband is for me) and i'm hoping I can book in the exam pretty quick as my job are extremely flexible luckily!
Old May 8th 2017, 2:24 pm
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute

The medical consisted a lot of sitting around waiting.

Turned up, handed of the requested documents, signed one of the passport photos. Given another medical questionnaire to fill in whilst waiting.

At least they have a jug of water in the waiting room. I drank a pint or two to encourage my bladder to cooperate. At least you can provide the urine sample at your convenience whilst waiting.

The interview with the nurse regarding vaccinations was short since I had all my shots done prior to visiting (no charge at my local doctors surgery).

The chest x-ray didn't take long.

The medical consisted of double checking passport details, and going through the medical questionnaire. Then height and weight was recorded. Brief eyesight test.

Strip down to underwear (behind the screen), lie under a blanket on the couch whilst the doctor performed the checks (lungs, thyroid, feet, legs, arms hands).

Blood pressure was measured, and then blood sample taken.

Once dressed, I returned to the waiting room for another long wait.

Eventually I was called to reception, where I had to pay the fee and received my documents back, then I was free to go.

Whilst I found the process of taking the blood sample painless, I did end up with a bruise from the tourniquet, which looked worse than it was.
Old May 8th 2017, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

viitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond repute

I've read that its a lot of waiting!

I need to go and get my vaccination records so I can get my GP to give them to me too. I reckon I may just need tetanus as I had a load of injections whilst pregnant that covered most things. Did you tell your doctor that you needed it for immigration purposes?

Out of interest did they check your "bits" as i've heard this has been stopped now?

I'm not too worried I have no health issues so expecting no problems its all just a little OTT lol..

I always get bruises from blood samples too!
Old May 8th 2017, 2:45 pm
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute

I just went and spoke to the receptionist at my Doctors and asked for my medical history. That's then I found out they didn't have any on the computer, since I haven't seen the doctor since I was a kid.

She spoke to the resident nurse, and arranged an appointment for the first set of jabs I needed (MMR is a 2 part jab).

The nurse was interested in why I needed a record, and I was not charged for the inoculations. Never saw the doctor.

No inspection of the 'bits'.
Old May 8th 2017, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

I honestly don't have anything exciting to report on my medical history either - one of the lovely guys on here told me that I didn't need to take it if there was nothing significant to report. It'll just be a cold here and a ear infection there over the past 15 years or so lol..

Did they ask why you didn't have your medical records at your examination?

Glad the bits inspection isn't practiced anymore lol.. I've heard it was just to check you are the sex you claim to be when they didn't allow same sex marriages.
Old May 9th 2017, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by viitav
The whole chest X Ray sounds scary LOL.. I had a vaccination against TB as a kid which prob doesn't mean anything by now but I certainly don't have any chest issues. Just seems a little OTT.
We Brits are, for the most part, vaccinated against TB with the BCG which means that a skin or blood test could read positive. Another way to check for TB is to look for damage on the lungs, using an x-ray.

I should imagine the reason for requesting a patient's medical summary is because it is a far more reliable method for determining whether someone has documented mental health issues (and could thus be deemed a menace to society) than by asking said person, keen to emigrate, to check a yes/no box.

In a similar fashion, I'd be interested in seeing just how many prospective immigrants gained entry to the US when they checked the 'yes' box to the question 'Have you been involved in terrorism'.
Old May 9th 2017, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Another common way to test for TB is to be injected and have the skin site checked 48-72 hours later, but of course they would mean 2 visits.

As a result x-ray is a good way to test in 1 visit.
Old May 9th 2017, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Another common way to test for TB is to be injected and have the skin site checked 48-72 hours later, but of course they would mean 2 visits.

As a result x-ray is a good way to test in 1 visit.
BCG vaccinated persons can show a false positive with the above test hence the reason for the x-ray...
Old May 10th 2017, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

elizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond repute

As it says in the email this is a new requirement and it says that if you don't bring the medical summary to the appointment your medical will go on hold. I got my print out from the drs and it lists any major things (I was in a car accident, had a c section) those things were listed but I suspect its so the can have something to back up your answer of "no" on the mental health question?
Old May 10th 2017, 9:30 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

Probably worth verifying what type of visa this is for so future readers don't get confused.

I'm assuming this is a medical based in the UK - as i just had my AOS to LPR medical and i did not need any of my medical records from the UK
Old May 10th 2017, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

elizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond repute

Ah good point, mine is a spouse visa, we are in the UK. The medical is in London.
Old May 11th 2017, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

aless02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond repute

This isn't a *new* requirement, Knightsbridge have always required 'additional info' if you have or have had medical conditions. I think they're just tired of people turning up unprepared, so have added that item to their list. The advice has ALWAYS been if you have a medical issue or history, bring information about it. If you have no conditions/issues/history, then you have nothing to worry about and nothing to bring!
Old May 11th 2017, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Well i've had a C section but I wouldn't say thats a medical issue or history lol.. I had to have it and it was done and healed. I wouldn't think this would be on my summery LOL..

I wouldn't have brought it as additional info at all.

Oh well just another print out! lol..

Why do we have to take the police certificate to our medical check? Bit odd.
Old May 11th 2017, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by aless02
This isn't a *new* requirement, Knightsbridge have always required 'additional info' if you have or have had medical conditions. I think they're just tired of people turning up unprepared, so have added that item to their list. The advice has ALWAYS been if you have a medical issue or history, bring information about it. If you have no conditions/issues/history, then you have nothing to worry about and nothing to bring!

I'm sorry but that is incorrect if you read what is in the first post they state this is a NEW requirement they are requesting everyone bring this to the medical in London...if you don't bring it then you run the risk of them putting the medical on hold and then you will have to get the summary printed out by your GPS after....

I thought I'd pass on the information I got from the instructions for the medical appointment I just booked, if you want to run the risk of not having it go ahead.
Old May 11th 2017, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Well i've had a C section but I wouldn't say thats a medical issue or history lol.. I had to have it and it was done and healed. I wouldn't think this would be on my summery LOL..
Having a C-section is definitely medical history - albeit one that will not have any baring on your ability to gain a visa.

Why do we have to take the police certificate to our medical check? Bit odd.
To see if you've had prior drug convictions, anything related to mental health, etc.

Not odd and totally normal for this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.