New medical?

Old Dec 13th 2017, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

BigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond repute
Default New medical?

Hey guys

So I'm about five and a half months into the AOS process, and at the end of December it will mark one year since I had my medical at Knightsbridge in London for the K-1.

Do I need to get another medical done as the interview will be over one year since the date of the original medical?

Thanks
Old Dec 13th 2017, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New medical?

Originally Posted by BigBoss1984
Hey guys

So I'm about five and a half months into the AOS process, and at the end of December it will mark one year since I had my medical at Knightsbridge in London for the K-1.

Do I need to get another medical done as the interview will be over one year since the date of the original medical?

Thanks
I asked the same question on my AOS thread a while back and got this answer from Ian, I'm sure someone else will be able to confirm though:

No. If you entered the US on a K-1 visa, there will not be another medical. All you need to adjust status is the vaccination supplement.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

BigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
I asked the same question on my AOS thread a while back and got this answer from Ian, I'm sure someone else will be able to confirm though:

No. If you entered the US on a K-1 visa, there will not be another medical. All you need to adjust status is the vaccination supplement.
Ah cool - one less thing to think about at least.

How's things going with your AOS?
Old Dec 13th 2017, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigBoss1984
Ah cool - one less thing to think about at least.

How's things going with your AOS?
Eh, not really going at all to be honest

Almost coming up to a year since we filed, we had an InfoPass appointment a little while back who said we shouldn't be too far away and we should actually get approved without interview but I'll take that with a pinch of salt.

It's typical as our K1 took just about 4 months to complete which is unusually quick, now we're suffering with AOS but oh well.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 7:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I will happily confirm Ben's report and Ian's. The only thing you needed to supply when you filed for AOS was the vaccination supplement from a US panel physician.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

That said I had all of the above and still got RFEd because Knightsbridge didn't check the box about having the vaccines.

If you have the money and get an interview appointment I would go ahead and have a new medical for the peace of mind.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 8:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
That said I had all of the above and still got RFEd because Knightsbridge didn't check the box about having the vaccines.

If you have the money and get an interview appointment I would go ahead and have a new medical for the peace of mind.

W/o going back through your threads, did you get the vaccination supplement from the US doctor to send with your AOS? Or did you just rely on the Knightsbridge report?
Old Dec 13th 2017, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
W/o going back through your threads, did you get the vaccination supplement from the US doctor to send with your AOS? Or did you just rely on the Knightsbridge report?
Relied on the Knightsbridge report which should be sufficient.

Knightsbridge don't check the waiver box for K-1 (because it mentions the word "immigrant") and instead rely on a note.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 8:38 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169

I personally wouldn't do anything prior to the AOS interview. If anything is lacking, they will tell you at the interview and give you time to get it done. I wouldn't spend all that money on a new medical which is probably not necessary, unless specifically told at the AOS interview that it was required to get approved.

Rene
Old Dec 13th 2017, 8:55 pm
Concierge

From the USCIS website on K visaholders filing for AOS and the I-693 medical:

https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/fiancees#card

Medical Examination

If you received a medical examination prior to admission as a K nonimmigrant, then you are not required to have another medical examination at time of adjustment as long as:
•Your Form I-485 is filed within 1 year of your overseas medical examination
•The medical examination did not reveal a Class A medical condition
•If you did have a Class A medical condition, you received a waiver of inadmissibility and you have complied with the terms and conditions of the waiver

Even if a new medical examination is not required, you still must show proof that you have complied with the vaccination requirements. If the vaccination record (DS 3025) was not properly completed and included as part of the original, overseas medical examination report, you will have to have the vaccination report completed by a designated civil surgeon. In this case, you are required to submit Part 1, Information About You, Part 2, the vaccination chart, and Part 5, the Civil Surgeon's Certification, of Form I-693 (in an envelop sealed by the civil surgeon). Please see the instructions for Form I-693 (PDF, 334 KB) for further information.

Hope this helps with the question regarding whether a new medical is required or not for K-1 visa holders filing for AOS.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 9:05 pm
Concierge

From the instruction sheet of the I-693

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...i-693instr.pdf

What if I am a K nonimmigrant visa holder and already had a medical examination overseas?
If you were admitted as a:
A. K-1 fiancé(e) or a K-2 child of a K-1 fiancé(e); or
B. K-3 spouse of a U.S. citizen or a K-4 child of a K-3 spouse of a U.S. citizen; and
C. You received a medical examination prior to admission, then:
(1) You are not required to have another medical examination as long as you file your Form I-485 within one year
of an overseas medical examination; and
(a) The panel physician did not find a class A medical condition during your overseas examination; or
(b) The panel physician did find a class A medical condition, you received a waiver of inadmissibility, and
you have complied with the terms and conditions of the waiver.
(2) Even if a new medical examination is not required, you must still show proof that you complied with the
vaccination requirements. If the vaccination record (DS 3025) was not properly completed and included
as part of the original overseas medical examination report, you will have to have the Part 9. Vaccination
Record completed by a designated civil surgeon. In this case, you must submit Parts 1., 2., 3., 4., 6., and 9.
of Form I-693.

Tom, you were not incorrect in having a complete new medical. You chose that avenue for your own peace of mind and that is priceless.

The K-1 medical from Knightsbridge is valid as long as it is filed with an I-485 within a year of having the medical. No where in either instruction sheet does it say that the medical becomes invalid after a year after filing the I-485. Heck if that were the case, my husband would have needed a new medical as he had his medical in June 1998 and we did not interview for AOS until 2001.