Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Moving to Florida from UK - Marriage Visa

Moving to Florida from UK - Marriage Visa

Old Jun 21st 2017, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

aless02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Florida from UK - Marriage Visa

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I understand what you're trying to say, but you probably shouldn't give incomplete information. For example, a joint sponsor doesn't need to be a US citizen, and a joint sponsor can also meet the financial requirement using assets instead of income, so long as assets = 5x the income amount.

With respect, it's not "just a form" - it's a binding contract with the US government - and since there are only 5 possible ways to discharge that contract, there's no guarantee that the person signing the contract will ever be off the hook.

Ian
Sorry Ian! I was writing quickly and yes, I did omit a few details unintentionally. I actually thought a joint sponsor had to be an American citizen, but I've just looked and LPRs can sponsor as well. Though they must *reside* in America, importantly.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

aless02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kcarterx
In what situations do you need a joint sponsor?
If you or your partner do not have enough assets or continuing income to meet the guidelines (125% of Federal Poverty Level).
Old Jun 21st 2017, 12:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

In what situations do you need a joint sponsor?
When the USC doesn't have either enough (US/ continuing) income OR enough assets, or combination thereof.

BTW please be careful not to remove or corrupt the "[QU0TE]" & "[/QU0TE]" tags when you quote somebody because it messes up your post, and the post of anyone who quotes you, unless they take the effort to fix the problem.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

kcarterx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
When the USC doesn't have either enough (US/ continuing) income OR enough assets, or combination thereof.

BTW please be careful not to remove or corrupt the "[QU0TE]" & "[/QU0TE]" tags when you quote somebody because it messes up your post, and the post of anyone who quotes you, unless they take the effort to fix the problem.
Okay, fabulous thank you again for your help.

Opps sorry i didnt know i had!
Old Jul 17th 2017, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

Hello again,

I have just received my US Passport back in the mail following my trip to London last week.

I am now looking to submit my tax returns online, has anybody done this before? I dont really know what i'm looking for on the website that i need to fill out.

Any advise on the correct forms to complete and anything else i need to do would be really helpful!

Thank you
Old Jul 17th 2017, 4:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I am now looking to submit my tax returns online, has anybody done this before? I dont really know what i'm looking for on the website that i need to fill out.
If you're asking about US tax returns, they have to be submitted to the IRS in the US. They are no longer processed in London. Keep in mind that they don't have to actually be processed for US immigration purposes... they need only be submitted.

Any advise on the correct forms to complete and anything else i need to do would be really helpful!
You're looking for IRS form 1040 - available at www.irs.gov.

Ian
Old Jul 17th 2017, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Thank you!
Old Aug 7th 2017, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

Hello,

I am filling out my tax returns now on the 1040 form. winging it as i dont really know what i'm doing but we'll hope for the best. It says on the instructions it needs to be submitted before April 2017. Is this different for me as i'm out the country?

Also is their a separate form i should be filling out for previous years?

Assuming my non US citizen fiance doesn't have so submit anything pre i 130 submission?
Old Aug 7th 2017, 3:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... It says on the instructions it needs to be submitted before April 2017. Is this different for me as I'm out the country? ....
No.
.... Also is their a separate form i should be filling out for previous years? ....
Same form, one for each year.
.... Assuming my non US citizen fiance doesn't have so submit anything pre i 130 submission?
Correct.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 7th 2017 at 3:10 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 3:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Is this different for me as i'm out the country?
No.

Also is their a separate form i should be filling out for previous years?
Yes. Each year the form number is the same, but the information on it is different. You shouldn't have a hard time finding the correct forms at www.irs.gov.

Assuming my non US citizen fiance doesn't have so submit anything pre i 130 submission?
Correct.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Aug 7th 2017 at 3:08 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys.

With me already missing the deadline should i still file them late or just wait until the next tax year?
Old Aug 7th 2017, 3:38 pm

Thanks guys.

With me already missing the deadline should i still file them late or just wait until the next tax year?
If you need to file tax returns you need to file them, one for each year. They're already late so next year they'll be even later.

The penalty is based on taxes owed, and as it is very unlikely you owe any tax there won't actually be a penalty to pay anyway.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Hi Guys,

I am getting together the documents ready to submit the i 130.

I am going to have to submit some affidavits as support as we dont have a bank account together and only my name on the lease.

Is the I-134 the correct form??
Old Aug 30th 2017, 2:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

No. You just need sworn statements from people who know you as a married couple.

Rene
Old Aug 30th 2017, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
No. You just need sworn statements from people who know you as a married couple.

Rene
Oh okay fabulous. Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.