Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Moving to America: what is the best way to do it?

Moving to America: what is the best way to do it?

Old Feb 18th 2018, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

Gsmyth is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving to America: what is the best way to do it?

I am 25 years old and I have been dating my girlfriend (from Michigan) for the past 7 years. She moved to England for university 4 years ago (we have lived together the whole time) and has 1 year left to complete her master's degree. Her grandma is moving to a retirement home and is offering us her house (to own) for free. We are looking to move there the summer of 2019, what options do we have to make the move over there possible for me? Is marriage the best bet?

Many thanks!
George
Old Feb 18th 2018, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

santz92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to America: what is the best way to do it?

im also 25, living in London wanting to move over to the US lol. all the best to you man! i hope we both get what we want lol
Old Feb 18th 2018, 1:00 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gsmyth
I am 25 years old and I have been dating my girlfriend (from Michigan) for the past 7 years. She moved to England for university 4 years ago (we have lived together the whole time) and has 1 year left to complete her master's degree. Her grandma is moving to a retirement home and is offering us her house (to own) for free. We are looking to move there the summer of 2019, what options do we have to make the move over there possible for me? Is marriage the best bet?

Many thanks!
George
Welcome. Marriage is, by far, your best option. Since your gorkfriend us living in the U.K, you are in the fortunate position of being able to complete your immigration visa procedures entirely through the London embassy, which shaves many months off the usual processing time. Early next year would be the right time to start the process if you are looking to move in the summer of 2019.

In the meantime, you need to get married somewhere, anywhere, and find someone willing to be a joint sponsor for when the time comes, unless your and her assets meet the requirements.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 1:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, marriage is your best bet. Get married (anywhere in the world is OK) and have your wife file the I-130 directly to London. Eventually you will get a CR-1 immigrant visa which allows you to come to the the USA and become a permanent resident upon entry.

Time frames for this visa are fluctuating, but probably figure 6 months or so. The visa itself will be valid for 6 months from the date of the medical exam, so plan accordingly.

Look carefully at the I-864 Affidavit of Support so you can find a way to met the financial requirements.

Rene
Old Feb 18th 2018, 3:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Transferring your g/f's grandmother's home for free may have tax consequences, and impact her in other ways unless she has substantial other income and assets, so your g/f and her grandmother should take some professional advice on whether that is a good idea for both of them.