Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Moan and whinge starter

Moan and whinge starter

Old Feb 3rd 2014, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moan and whinge starter

AAAaaaaaaaarrrrrggghhhhhh
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 10:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood
So almost all of NYC is operational but the pussies in USCIS decided to close shop with no follow-up info.
I understand you're frustrated, but there are actual people who work in those offices - and who need to be there for the offices to open... and most of them don't live anywhere near where the actual USCIS office is.

Back in September, when you were looking for options, I suggested you simply file a new N-400. For whatever reason, you decided not to do that. It may have been easier and less frustrating than what you're experiencing now.

Good luck to you.

Ian
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Back in September, when you were looking for options, I suggested you simply file a new N-400. For whatever reason, you decided not to do that. It may have been easier and less frustrating than what you're experiencing now.

Ian
I consulted 4 different lawyers, all of whom said to file the N-336. That is the reason I filed the N-336.

Maybe a new N-400 WOULD have been faster, who knows. But given the unfortunate history, (the original N400 wasn't approved in regular timeline either) there's nothing to say that new N-400 wouldn't have gotten stuck either.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

I was planning to go again to my local USCIS office today to try my luck at getting face-time but the snow today is worse than Monday's. So I suppose that office will be closed again. And with 2 days worth of missed appointments piled up, what are the chances of anyone there seeing me tomorrow? (Rhetorical question)
The frustration and limbo continues...
Old Feb 7th 2014, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

I went to the local field office again yesterday, arrived at 4pm, to be told by the security guard outside that the building closes at 3.30pm. Another wasted day and frustration.

I went again this morning, was late inside and guided to a room on the ground floor. When hearing I was there to make an info-pass appointment, the guard at the entrance of that room told me to use one of the two machines in the room rather than wait in the (short) line to see one of the 3 people working the kiosks. I told him I had been trying to do that every day for the last 3 weeks and had kept getting a "no appointments available" message. He still insisted I try, so I did, and got the same message. The gaurd then said I should go to the other machine and try again. Yes, really. I said they would all be connected to the same main-frame, so the result would be the same. Meanwhile 2 people had walked past and were now ahead of me in the queue.

At that point the guard allowed me to get into the queue. When I saw the person at the kiosk initially she tried to phone the officer who had my case. The phone rant to a wrong number, she looked at her directory again and said it was old/outdated. She then tried looking up numbers on the computer but couldn't find one. I asked whether she could ring the operator, she shook her head in despair and said there wasn't one. So after several minutes of trying to get in touch with someone for me, finally she reverted to the can't do anything mode. She told me that all cases were different (duh) hence my timeline, all I could do was get an appointment from the machines, I wouldn't be seen without one, and there was nothing else she could do. Never mind the fact that I kept telling her I had been unable to do just that for the last 3 weeks. She said try again and if it doesn't work, come back before 8am on Monday, because, she said, some people had come earlier today and managed to get appointments to be seen for the day. So like she told me to, I tried again on the machine, got same denial message and went into the line again, to ask to see a "supervisor" of sorts. This time another person became available, he said there was no supervisor but he took the mickey out of me, literally played with me, saying come later, I can help you later, later might mean later today or tomorrow or etc etc, later, later later. Seriously, this guy just played with me. Finally I walked off.

Then I tried to use the machines again for the appointment. Another try - failed. On the fourth try, lo and behold, it gave me the option for an appointment in 15 mins time.

Went up to another floor with my appointment where there were about 10 -15 officers behind booths and and some folks sitting and waiting. When my turn came, the "officer" (at this point, these people were definetley officers as each booth had a sign in front that said USCIS officer) first said that 7 weeks (the time since my interview at which I was approved for naturalization) was not long at all in the world of immigration, but said she would look into it anyway. She went away into another office for quite a while, and came back saying good news and bad news.

The good news was that I finally had a date for the oath ceremony. The bad news was that it had been for today at 11am. It was now pm. I hadn't received their notice letter. She told me she was getting another officer to accompany me to another floor to reschedule the oath ceremony date.

Meanwhile she said the building does NOT close at 3.30pm so she had no idea why I was not let in yesterday. I also asked how come my case status on the telephone info line was "no info available". She said that appeals cases do not get updated into that system.

When we got up to the other floor, it was small room with only 4 other people waiting. They took my documents off of me, they told me they would conduct the oath "today/now" with the 4 other people in the room. Hurray! Yipeee! So minutes later another USCIS came, called for me, asked me to stand in front of a lectern he was standing behind, he read parts of the oath, asked me to repeat and at the end he handed me my certificate!

Joy!

After me, he gave the oath to a lady who did not speak a single word of English. A single word. He had to read the whole thing to her without her repeating any of it and then she had to be prompted in Spanish to say "I do". Afterward I asked the oath giver how an oath can be considered an oath if the taker doesn't understand the meaning. He smiled and said it is just policy.

I came home and opened a bottle of Champagne. Sigh... Relief...

Observations:

1)You can walk into a field office and use their Info-pass machines to make an appointment. If you get lucky and get an appointment for the same day, you can be seen the same day.

2)Even without an Infopass, you can speak to someone, get forms, get directions with applications etc etc. This happens at an office different to where the Infopass appointments happen. I believe these workers have less access to your file but nevertheless..

3)When trying to make the Infopass appointment it doesn't matter which option you choose. This was what the "higher level officer" on the telephone info line had told me and also it is what I deducted from my experience today. For example today, in the successful attempt I had at making the appointment, my choice had been [immigration court order] even thought it was not, but then when I took that appointment letter and got a number to be seen, the receipt with my number had a totally different reason written on it. So just keep trying all/any of the options until you get an appointment

4)While I was waiting to be seen by an officer, I noticed an attorney having a discussion. He actually talked about 3 different cases. (I have sharp hearing) So I suppose it is true that they get slightly different treatment. What drew my attention though, was the fact that he was there personally, to follow up. I'm not sure all attorneys would do that, so I was impressed. I asked for his business card afterwards and if anyone want a name in NYC, I can provide it.

I'll write the above regarding infopass into a separate thread. Maybe the Moderators would like to use it as a sticky if appropriate.

Last edited by jmood; Feb 7th 2014 at 11:06 pm. Reason: Added point about appeals cases not getting updated into telephone info line
Old Feb 7th 2014, 11:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

So minutes later another USCIS came, called for me, asked me to stand in front of a lectern he was standing behind, he read parts of the oath, asked me to repeat and at the end he handed me my certificate!
Congratulations. End of the road! No more whinging!

Ian
Old Feb 8th 2014, 2:48 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

1)You can walk into a field office and use their Info-pass machines to make an appointment. If you get lucky and get an appointment for the same day, you can be seen the same day.
Congratulations!

I am very pleased I suggested that you should visit your local USCIS office even without a booked Infopass appointment!
Old Feb 8th 2014, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Congratulations!

I am very pleased I suggested that you should visit your local USCIS office even without a booked Infopass appointment!
Thank you! Thank you! :-)

Not to steal your thunder, but the supposed "higher level officer" on the phone suggested it before you did. :-)

And the fact that I went there three times, and got in only on the third try, and that it turned out that that day was the day my scheduled interview was and that I managed to get an appointment only after the nth try on the darn machine - pheeeww - loads of near misses and coincidences. Otherwise I might have been waiting at least another month or two.

Not to mention all the inefficiencies and incompetences of the USCIS that I observed along the way. Told within above long story, but not noted/highlighted. I will do that a bit later.
Old Feb 8th 2014, 11:41 pm
Account Closed

Not to mention all the inefficiencies and incompetences of the USCIS that I observed along the way. Told within above long story, but not noted/highlighted. I will do that a bit later.
We're all aware of the "inefficiencies and incompetences" but it's unlikely that someone will have your same history - so it's unlikely that anyone will gain much from your experience. Of course, if you feel a need to dwell on the past, then go for it - but, while you're vilifying US immigration, keep in mind that you were largely responsible for the situation in which you found yourself... not them!

Ian
Old Feb 9th 2014, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
We're all aware of the "inefficiencies and incompetences" but it's unlikely that someone will have your same history - so it's unlikely that anyone will gain much from your experience. Of course, if you feel a need to dwell on the past, then go for it - but, while you're vilifying US immigration, keep in mind that you were largely responsible for the situation in which you found yourself... not them!

Ian

I meant the inefficiencies and incompetencies observed while I was physically at the field office. None which had to do with my specific case.

And no, I was not largely responsible for the situation I found myself in. I was responsible only for 6 months of it, which leaves behind 14 months lead time - I believe much longer than the 5 or 6 it takes for "regular" cases, which mine was, excluding the 6 months that was my fault but which had no impact on the remaining 14.

Thanks for pointing out (the obvious) not to dwell on the past though.
Old Feb 9th 2014, 2:30 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you got there in the end. Congratulations.
Old Feb 9th 2014, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks!
Old Feb 9th 2014, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats