Reload this Page >

Missing vaccination record from the NHS

Missing vaccination record from the NHS

Old Jul 31st 2017, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

SteveSweet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Missing vaccination record from the NHS

Hello,

I'm in the process of applying for a spouse visa (IR1), and trying to obtain my vaccination record for the medical. I've moved around a fair bit over the years, and my current GP has no record of any vaccinations. I called three earlier GPs, but none could help.

It seems from this link that the required vaccinations are Tetanus and diptheria, MMR, varicella and flu (annually).

https://uk.usembassy.gov/wp-content/...cine_chart.pdf

I've certainly had the standard ones: tetanus, MMR and probably the others too.
1) Is there any other way to prove this that I haven't thought of?
2) What happens if you turn up without a vaccination record?
3) Is it worth asking my GP to vaccinate me again?

Thanks for all suggestions!

Steve
Old Jul 31st 2017, 3:39 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Missing vaccination record from the NHS

The doctor can do a titre test to see what vaccinations you've had. Also based on your age and where you've lived, they can assume whay you've had.

Rene
Old Jul 31st 2017, 3:47 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SteveSweet
1) Is there any other way to prove this that I haven't thought of?
Yes - a titre test, as Rene indicates.

2) What happens if you turn up without a vaccination record?
They will give you age-appropriate vaccinations according to CDC requirements.

3) Is it worth asking my GP to vaccinate me again?
It may be less expensive - but otherwise, no.

Ian
Old Jul 31st 2017, 7:43 pm
Go Braves!

StuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond repute

MMR, tetanus and diphtheria are all free on the NHS so I would just get them done again. The MMR is a 2 dose course done six weeks apart and the others are a single combined injection.

I had mine earlier this year.

I don't believe Varicella is done in the UK but if you've had chicken pox as a child they should take your word for it.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 11:02 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Varicella vaccine is not available in the U.K. but since most children have had chickenpox they just assume that you've had it. They didn't even ask me if I have had chickenpox but marked that I have.

If you're immigrating during flu season you can get a flu shot from Boots or similar - doesn't have to be from the GP.

I would try and get the MMR and the Tdap done by your GP if you can. People have had varying degrees of success with this. Our GP had a jobsworth receptionist who felt it her duty to announce to me, in front of a crowd of people in the waiting room, that NHS services are provided by the taxpayer to cover essential things, and not people wanting to move overseas. But the doctor had a stern word with her and a vaccination appointment was booked. If you can't get them done by the GP, Knightsbridge can do them but at a cost.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

viitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond repute

I had to get a second dose of MMR (my doctors wouldn't do it as it isn't essential at my age) for 45 pounds I think?

She did offer a immunity test to see if I needed it but that was 20 pounds so I just got it over and done with as my interview was the following week.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 12:02 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
Varicella vaccine is not available in the U.K.
To clarify... it is available - but it must be special ordered.

Ian
Old Aug 1st 2017, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
To clarify... it is available - but it must be special ordered.

Ian
It was on the news last month that it's even starting to be offered like flu vaccines.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 8:27 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by tom169
It was on the news last month that it's even starting to be offered like flu vaccines.
And yet the myth that it's unavailable persists... and has done so for years!

Ian
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 10:53 am
Go Braves!

StuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the myth still exists because until recently the IV018a Medical Questionnaire Vaccination Requirements still stated it was not available in the UK.
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks all.
The NHS guidance on MMR, for adults who may or may not have had it, is:
"If in doubt, go ahead and have it. Even if you've had it before, it won't harm you to have a second, or even third, course of the vaccination."
From About the MMR vaccine - Vaccinations - NHS Choices
The problem for the NHS is people who don't trust having it at all, not the tiny number of people who would end up having it twice, for visa reasons.

Steve
Old Aug 9th 2017, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

Just to update, I saw a nurse at my GP practice, who was happy to provide DTaP and MMR vaccinations free of charge. (MMR booster scheduled for one month after first vaccination.)
Old Aug 9th 2017, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SteveSweet
Just to update, I saw a nurse at my GP practice, who was happy to provide DTaP and MMR vaccinations free of charge. (MMR booster scheduled for one month after first vaccination.)
Glad things are working out and that you've been able to get the vaccinations sorted.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you get proof of having the vaccines.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Final (I hope) update: had the visa medical last week. They were happy with the 'Patient Summary' showing I'd recently had the DTaP and 1st MMR. 2nd MMR will be this week (at my GP).
As a side-note, apparently the US asks for a three dose tetanus, diptheria and polio course, however only the first is necessary to satisfy the visa requirements (2nd is 4 weeks later; 3rd is 6-12 months later).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.