Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Medical records show mental health issues and drug use

Medical records show mental health issues and drug use

Old Mar 22nd 2017, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Medical records show mental health issues and drug use

Hi all,

USC husband and I currently in the throes of applying for my CR-1 visa. I've been getting paperwork organised ready for my medical in a few months' time. Seeking a bit of reassurance/guidance on how to handle mental health- and drug/alcohol-related questions.

I have an extensive, long-term history of depression/mental health concerns, throughout which I was on various medications and received numerous courses of therapy. Been fit and well (no medications or therapy) for five years. I had an appointment with my GP several weeks ago to ask for a doctor's note to confirm that I am now healthy/recovered, as I am of the understanding that mental health can be one of the triggers for more questions and potential issues at Knightsbridge. GP had a look through my notes on his system, saw only one very brief comment about depression in 2013 (his records did not seem to date beyond this, perhaps because that particular surgery is new to me?), and insisted "you won't need a doctor's note, there's really nothing that will concern them on here" and sent me on my way. He was not my regular GP - I moved from England to Wales three years ago and have rarely had to see a doctor, so nobody at this surgery really knows me.

Have since received a copy of my full medical records, which I applied for as a means to cover my back and provide to Knightsbridge if necessary. Had a read through it (all 256 pages!) and the details on my mental health issues are lengthy and extensive. There is a lot in there, spanning a period of around 15 years, most of which from when I was aged 12-17 (I am now 32), though there is also some from between the ages of 22-27.

I understand that the only medical paperwork Knightsbridge will initially ask for is my vaccination record, which I can print off from my medical history. So that's fine, and maybe they won't need the full records anyway. My concern, though, is that I'm of the impression that I will be asked if I have any history of mental health issues, and my answer will be 'yes', and they will ask for more information, at which point all I can offer them - if they ask for evidence - is this extensive, meaty, horrendous document full of mental health horror stories that span over a decade. I know nobody can tell me what Knightsbridge will do with that information, but can anyone offer any reassurance on this process? Ought I go back to my doctor again and push harder for a letter to confirm that I am well?

I have never stayed in hospital due to any of this, have no other health issues, no criminal record, no history of substance abuse, though it is in my notes, unfortunately, that I have tried marijuana, cocaine and MDMA in my time (none of these have been habitual, just one-off recreational occurrences) and (in the doctor's words) used to 'self-medicate' with alcohol. (For clarity: I'm not an alcoholic, just drank quite a lot in my early twenties, though probably little more than most other 20-somethings.) Again, I am of the understanding that I will be asked if I have ever been a drug-user, and I've seen many debates on this forum about what is an appropriate answer to that question when people have simply tried a drug once. My answer, having considered those discussions, will be 'no', as I have never been what I would consider a 'drug user', but if they look through my records, they will see that I have at least tried each of these drugs, which concerns me because what if answering 'no' to that specific question is therefore wrong? Ought I say 'yes'? Is there any leeway for me to offer them the more detailed, honest response, rather than just a 'yes' or 'no' which might trigger an issue?

I am willing to do a drugs test if necessary, and it will come back clear, so that's not a problem. But I would obviously rather avoid the expense and extra time it would add to the process.

Can anyone please tell me what might be my best course of action? Is a note from my doctor likely to cover my back if any eyebrows are raised relating to my mental health? And would that mean I could avoid handing over my full records, and having them potentially see this comment about drug use? If I have to give them my full medical records and they sift through them and find the comments on cocaine/MDMA (it was a tiny, tiny comment made in an observation from a therapist several years ago), how much time will likely be added to this process if I have to do a drugs test? Is there anything I can say or do to avoid this, obviously without being dishonest?

Thanks for any advice, I appreciate I am perhaps being overly worried/neurotic.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 12:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical records show mental health issues and drug use

You are a case that would almost certainly benefit from the counsel of an experienced immigration attorney.

The only things I would add are that: (i) you will need a letter from your doctor stating that "you are not a danger to yourself or others, and are unlikely to be so in the future", and (ii) you should answer all questions regarding drug useage honestly. Otherwise, get your advice from your lawyer.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 1:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KK85
Ought I go back to my doctor again and push harder for a letter to confirm that I am well?
You don't need a letter confirming you're well. You will, however, need a letter - as Pulaski notes - that you are not a danger to yourself or others. The language is specific so make sure that's what it says.

... no history of substance abuse, though it is in my notes, unfortunately, that I have tried marijuana, cocaine and MDMA in my time (none of these have been habitual, just one-off recreational occurrences) and (in the doctor's words) used to 'self-medicate' with alcohol.
I'm pretty sure the question asks about use... not about abuse. Hopefully someone else can clarify that.

Ought I say 'yes'?
You must tell the truth. If you lie to gain an immigration benefit and get caught in that lie, you face a lifetime ban from the US. At that point in time, being married to a USC will make no difference whatsoever.

Can anyone please tell me what might be my best course of action?
Tell the truth - and get a letter from your doctor.

Ian
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both.

I've made an appointment to see another doctor (one who has met me twice - it's the best I can do!) and will ask if she can write a letter to state that I'm not a danger to myself or others and unlikely to be so in the future. Couldn't get an appointment until the 24th of April, but hopefully that letter can be written up quickly.

I have no intention to lie about anything at all. I will absolutely answer all questions honestly, even if it might evoke further questions or investigations. I'm just concerned/prematurely frustrated that unfortunate past health problems, and any mention of drug-use, might add all kinds of expenses and delays to mine and my husband's case, even when such events were years ago and (per drug) were one-off occurrences. It seems so unnecessary (though I appreciate it isn't!) and if there were some way to avoid it, I'd like to do so.

I feel I should add that despite the length of time my mental health issues were a concern, at no point was I ever considered a danger to anyone, and that is stated in my records. The health issues themselves related to depression, anxiety and concern from my doctor (when I was a child) that I was neglected. Nothing more sinister than that. There are comments on investigations into whether or not I suffered a personality disorder, but the results of that concluded that I did not (I had high traits of one, but not enough so that it could be labelled as such). I don't know if any of this makes a difference. I might be catastrophising, having just read through quite a harrowing portrayal of my adolescence, and am maybe making it sound/feel worse than it reads. Nothing in the black and white notes is aggressively bad, there is just a lot of it.

We can't afford an attorney, so I'm hoping I can get some sound advice from here at this stage. And, due to my mother-in-law's health, we are hoping very much that we won't incur any delays. I think I'm a prime example of wishful thinking, aren't I, in that I don't want to be 'punished' or penalised for what I consider to be insignificant events that are way back in the past, but I suppose the powers that be might not see these things the same way.

Last edited by KK85; Mar 22nd 2017 at 1:41 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

aless02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi KK85, it sounds like we're in really similar situations, so while I cannot offer 'advice' as I'm actually a bit behind you in the process, sending some sympathetic vibes. My husband is in a similar situation, minus the drug use. I've done tons and tons of reading both here & on VisaJourney, and it sounds like Knightsbridge might do one of 3 things: 1) be satisfied with your verbal explanation+GP letter and 'approve' your medical; 2) refer you to full psychiatric evaluation; or 3) want to contact your GP for more information (or both 2 & 3). From what I've read, they do not ever gain access to your full medical records, only the information you directly give them or they get in a letter from your GP. Therefore, what you need is a solid letter from your GP summarizing your mental health history, when it was 'resolved' and the magic phrase of "not a threat to yourself or others." http://www.visajourney.com/forums/to...omment-6741228

IIRC, the question is about drug "use". Even one puff of one joint 20 years ago. The advice on forums is never lie. It will get you a pee test, but it's better than being barred forever.

We're also pretty nervous about the medical when it comes. Husband's history is far more recent (and even ongoing) so it's pretty nerve wracking .

Last edited by aless02; Mar 22nd 2017 at 2:00 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aless02
Hi KK85, it sounds like we're in really similar situations, so while I cannot offer 'advice' as I'm actually a bit behind you in the process, sending some sympathetic vibes. My husband is in a similar situation, minus the drug use. I've done tons and tons of reading both here & on VisaJourney, and it sounds like Knightsbridge might do one of 3 things: 1) be satisfied with your verbal explanation+GP letter and 'approve' your medical; 2) refer you to full psychiatric evaluation; or 3) want to contact your GP for more information (or both 2 & 3). From what I've read, they do not ever gain access to your full medical records, only the information you directly give them or they get in a letter from your GP. Therefore, what you need is a solid letter from your GP summarizing your mental health history, when it was 'resolved' and the magic phrase of "not a threat to yourself or others."

IIRC, the question is about drug "use". Even one puff of one joint 20 years ago. The advice on forums is never lie. It will get you a pee test, but it's better than being barred forever.
That is incredibly reassuring, thank you, aless02.

I can cope with any three of those potential scenarios, and believe any doctor with access to my records would support me. I'd like to think I come across as honest and trustworthy, and perhaps that (combined with the doctor's letter) might work in my favour and get me the first outcome.

There must be thousands of people in my boat who've had the odd dabble in recreational drug-use as a teenager, surely. I guess I'll just be telling the people at Knightsbridge exactly what happened and when, and keeping everything crossed it doesn't result in lengthy investigations. There's nothing quite like this process to make you look at your entire life history through very judgemental eyes!

Wishing you and your husband the very best of luck on your journey, and thank you again for your understanding and reassurance. (I'll report back on what happens at Knightsbridge!)
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Therefore, what you need is a solid letter from your GP summarizing your mental health history, when it was 'resolved' and the magic phrase of "not a threat to yourself or others." London K1. A complete guide. (Do Not Post Questions in Thread) - United Kingdom - VisaJourney

We're also pretty nervous about the medical when it comes. Husband's history is far more recent (and even ongoing) so it's pretty nerve wracking .
I've just seen your edit, aless02. Thank you very much for the link - I will have a read through that post now. I don't venture over to VisaJourney anywhere near enough - perhaps I ought to be backing up my research on both forums.

I understand the nerves completely (as is probably evident!) and will definitely come back here and let you know exactly what happens at my medical, and hopefully it can offer some reassurance. It likely won't be for a few months yet - we're due our NOA2 any time now (ish).
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

aless02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond repute

I've just seen your edit, aless02. Thank you very much for the link - I will have a read through that post now. I don't venture over to VisaJourney anywhere near enough - perhaps I ought to be backing up my research on both forums.

I understand the nerves completely (as is probably evident!) and will definitely come back here and let you know exactly what happens at my medical, and hopefully it can offer some reassurance. It likely won't be for a few months yet - we're due our NOA2 any time now (ish).
I also found this, which might help you at your GP appt for how to frame the letter.
K1 Visa Medical Exam Physical (Knightsbridge) - United Kingdom - VisaJourney

VJ isn't always great, but it's a useful place to search years of data for things like this :-).

This thread is also years of people's varied experience at Knightsbridge, reading it might help calm your mind:
London Medical - Knightsbridge Doctors - United Kingdom - VisaJourney
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 2:31 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Be vary wary of VisaJourney - their information is often unreliable and in my own experience often just plain wrong.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 2:32 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... if there were some way to avoid it, I'd like to do so.
There likely isn't.

The health issues themselves related to depression, anxiety and concern from my doctor (when I was a child) that I was neglected.
With respect, the "why" is irrelevant.

And, due to my mother-in-law's health, we are hoping very much that we won't incur any delays.
Again, with respect, your USC husband can return to the US at any time. It may not be ideal, but it is always an option for him.

I suppose the powers that be might not see these things the same way.
It's the US' sandbox... so they get to make the rules.

Thank you very much for the link - I will have a read through that post now.
Make sure you read the source information - from the US government. That is your source for official information (and even that is questionable).

I don't venture over to VisaJourney anywhere near enough...
Probably for the best. Over the years, there has been a lot of misinformation posted there.

Ian
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 2:34 pm
Account Closed

This thread is also years of people's varied experience at Knightsbridge, reading it might help calm your mind:
London Medical - Knightsbridge Doctors - United Kingdom - VisaJourney
Please stop suggesting that members go to VisaJourney. Their information, as you note yourself, isn't always great - and it's often wrong.

Ian
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 6:52 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Be vary wary of VisaJourney - their information is often unreliable and in my own experience often just plain wrong.

It is unfortunately quite true that the info gleamed from that venue is more often than not incorrect. Take it with a shaker of salt not the proverbial grain.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 8:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
..... It is unfortunately quite true that the info gleamed from that venue is more often than not incorrect. Take it with a shaker of salt not the proverbial grain.
Or use a long-handled shovel!
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

sarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Medical records show mental health issues and drug use

Hi KK85 my husband has an 8 year history of depression which he takes medication for, however we went for our medicals on 20 th February and as requested by Knightsbridge Doctors we took with us a medical summary and a letter from our GP stating that he is not a risk to himself or others. Despite the letter the panel physician still wanted a copy of drs letters and medical notes held by the GP. Thankfully everything was good and our medicals were signed off as the physician was happy with the information supplied.
Just be honest and as others have said don't take too much notice of visa journey I've looked on their site and some of the information isn't accurate.
Good luck with your medical.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

Sorry, I wasn't trying to cause issues with suggesting VJ, I just personally found it useful to read other's accounts & stories of their own experiences with Knightsbridge & mental health history. Good to read positive outcomes here on BE too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.