Medical examination

Old Jul 18th 2017, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

viitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond repute
Default Medical examination

Hey guys,

So I had my medical today. Very uneventful and felt so overpriced for what it was.

Upon arrival gave papers over and gave my urine sample. Went straight into my chest X-ray which was pretty straightforward and clear.
Then went into the waiting room and waited for about 50 mins to see the nurse. Took my blood, checked my heart rate and blood pressure. Didn't weigh or measure me. Then waited another 10 mins for the doctor who speeded through my paperwork, just asked if I had previous surgeries and then told me to lay on the bed with just my underwear and gown. Listened to my breathing, checked my ears and throat, felt my belly, knocked my knees with a hammer thing and then made me read a line for my eye sight test. I was then taken to the nurse again as I needed another dose of MMR.
And that was it! Took under 2 hours as they were short staffed and taking a little longer then usual.
My interview is next week Thursday woohoo!
Old Jul 18th 2017, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical examination

This sounds rather painless! I'm glad it all went well for you. Good luck at your interview next week!
Old Jul 18th 2017, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

viitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KK85
This sounds rather painless! I'm glad it all went well for you. Good luck at your interview next week!
Thank you! Yes it wasn't as bad as I imagined and the staff were all so friendly! I'll post about the interview once it's over of course!
Old Jul 18th 2017, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by viitav
Thank you! Yes it wasn't as bad as I imagined and the staff were all so friendly! I'll post about the interview once it's over of course!
Please do!

I'm a little apprehensive about my medical as I have some long-term, past issues with mental health (and a letter from my GP to hopefully reassure the Knightsbridge doctors), so it's nice to hear stories about people sailing through. All cases are different, of course! But fingers crossed I might be so fortunate.

Not long until you're all done, now.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by KK85
Please do!

I'm a little apprehensive about my medical as I have some long-term, past issues with mental health (and a letter from my GP to hopefully reassure the Knightsbridge doctors), so it's nice to hear stories about people sailing through. All cases are different, of course! But fingers crossed I might be so fortunate.

Not long until you're all done, now.
Ahh you'll be okay! It felt like the doctor wanted me in and out asap he wasn't that interested but my medical history is pretty boring! I'm sure with your letter you'll sail through too. Do you know when it is?
Old Jul 18th 2017, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ahh you'll be okay! It felt like the doctor wanted me in and out asap he wasn't that interested but my medical history is pretty boring! I'm sure with your letter you'll sail through too. Do you know when it is?
Thank you for the reassurance.

No date as yet! We're waiting for the IV fee to be processed so that we can complete the DS-260 and send our supporting documents off to the NVC. And then we're back to the waiting game! We're hopeful (and I have a feeling in my bones) that I'll be able to fly out, visa in hand, this October. But let's wait and see.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

ballpointbunny is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck!

My experience with the medical was similar, and it all worked out fine, so don't worry.

I will still very nervous for the interview, which is not what you think...

You go up to a booth, answer questions, provide evidence. You then wait what feels like forever, whilst they review the paperwork.
You're then called back to the booth. I was asked a few questions: birth dates of my SO and his daughter, whether I'd met his daughter... things to cement that the relationship is serious. You take an oath, and they tell you whether you're approved!

My sealed envelope and passport with visa arrived the week after
Old Jul 21st 2017, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

suze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Medical examination

Hey guys,

So I had my medical today. Very uneventful and felt so overpriced for what it was.

Upon arrival gave papers over and gave my urine sample. Went straight into my chest X-ray which was pretty straightforward and clear.
Then went into the waiting room and waited for about 50 mins to see the nurse. Took my blood, checked my heart rate and blood pressure. Didn't weigh or measure me. Then waited another 10 mins for the doctor who speeded through my paperwork, just asked if I had previous surgeries and then told me to lay on the bed with just my underwear and gown. Listened to my breathing, checked my ears and throat, felt my belly, knocked my knees with a hammer thing and then made me read a line for my eye sight test. I was then taken to the nurse again as I needed another dose of MMR.
And that was it! Took under 2 hours as they were short staffed and taking a little longer then usual.
My interview is next week Thursday woohoo!
Hi All

I had my medical this morning and mine was just as uneventful. I was so nervous all week and there was no need to be. Just thought I would share my experience especially if you are really worried about what to expect

A questionnaire to fill in whilst waiting, just basic yes/no answers and details of any surgeries or treatments you've had
Urine sample

Then a nurse then discusses your Vaccinations:

I had already got my 2 doses of MMR jabs a few months ago free on NHS.I took in the vaccinations history printed out by my doctors.

what I didn't realise was that USA requires 3 doses of Tetanus boosters over 10 years. My last one was in 2012 so didn't think I needed it. I got the injection today it was £40 and also need to have another one in 6 months (by then I will be in USA anyway)
so if you haven't had a booster for a while I suggest ensuring you have a booster before the medical to save yourself £40!
You can get it done on NHS after the medical then send in proof however I didn't want it to hold up my Visa as interview is in 2 weeks and can take a while to get an appointment at my doctors

Back to a waiting room then X-ray:
X-ray is taken and discussed whilst in room to check for any abnormalities. fairly quick

Back to the waiting room then:
Examination by doctor:
I didn't really get asked much at all apart from:
Had I ever had any STI's, Syphllis or been arrested for any alcohol related incidents
They were not interested in any minor ongoing issues ( I had a small abscess I was treated for recently with antibiotics and took doctors notes about it but the doctor said he wasn't interested in that at all, only major illnesses)
The doctor didn't even discuss my notes on patient summary, just looked through the questionnaire i filled in at the waiting room.
He did a quick sight test, examination of ears, mouth and abdomen, blood test then waited for notes to be filled in, paid then went on my way
was there about 1hr and 45 in total, as most of it is waiting around

The worst part was having to pay £340! way over priced

anyway I hope this helps in alleviating any fears. Please do not be worried especially if you have had only minor illnesses in the past. The nurses and doctors are all very friendly too!Its seems like a bit of a conveyor belt system, trying to get through people's appointments as quick as possible.

Now to prepare for the interview! 2 weeks to go!
Old Jul 21st 2017, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

suze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond reputesuze2016 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, the doctor wasn't really interested in my medical history either seemed to want to get it over and done with as fast as possible! probably had the same doctor!