Reload this Page >

Marrying a UK citizen in the US

Marrying a UK citizen in the US

Old Jan 12th 2014, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Hekele1027 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marrying a UK citizen in the US

Hello Everyone,

So, I’m new to this whole Visa thing. I'm actually a US citizen who is engaged to a UK citizen. We are currently trying to figure out which Visa is going to be best for us, so I’m trying to see if anyone else has done this and has some guidance?

We basically are just looking for a way to get him over here as soon as possible. I know as a US citizen, I should probably know a little something about this process- but I am absolutely clueless. We have spoken to some people about this- he knows quite a few people who have come over here, so I feel like he has somewhat of a handle of the situation, but I feel pretty helpless and would like to have some knowledge. I've been told that a work visa would be the fastest for him, but it also proves to be pretty hard to get? We were also told about a fiancé visa, but that could take up to ten months? We were thinking about just getting legally married here the next time he comes to visit, but I've also heard that could take a while for him to actually be able to move over and get a green card. So, as you can see I am completely blind in this matter.

I was also considering possibly moving over to the UK for a couple months while he is waiting for his Visa to come through over here- is that a possibility?

I know these questions may be dumb, and I’m sure these questions have been posted a million times throughout this forum, so I apologize for repeating anything. I just really appreciate any help I can get. Like I said, my fiancé seems to have somewhat of an understanding of what he needs to do, I would just like to have somewhat of an idea to expect as well.

Thank you!
Heather
Old Jan 12th 2014, 7:02 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marrying a UK citizen in the US

K1 or CR1 - those are really your only options. Either method will take around 10 months, although with the CR1 you will need to be married before you start the paperwork. The K1 you could start tomorrow.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 7:19 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marrying a UK citizen in the US

Originally Posted by Hekele1027
We basically are just looking for a way to get him over here as soon as possible.
We have an international readership... "here" is a bit nebulous, but I'm guessing you mean the US.

I know as a US citizen, I should probably know a little something about this process- but I am absolutely clueless.
Don't feel bad. Most USCs have no need of US immigration services except as it relates to some non-USC... so it's not unusual not to know.

I've been told that a work visa would be the fastest for him, but it also proves to be pretty hard to get? We were also told about a fiancé visa, but that could take up to ten months? We were thinking about just getting legally married here the next time he comes to visit, but I've also heard that could take a while for him to actually be able to move over and get a green card.
Generally speaking, there are 3 methods to immigration: family-based, employment-based, and investment-based. Unless he has a pile of money, investment-based isn't usually feasible. So that leaves family or employment. Him getting a job in the US is pretty easy... but it's usually very difficult to get a job in the US with a company that's willing to sponsor him for a visa. So, that leaves family-based.

With family-based, you have two choices: a spouse visa (CR-1) or a fiancé visa (K-1). We have a pretty good comparison chart here. Read, digest, read again... and then ask questions!

I was also considering possibly moving over to the UK for a couple months while he is waiting for his Visa to come through over here- is that a possibility?
Moving? No. Visiting, yes. He's also allowed to visit the US during the process.

Ian