Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Married in US, live in UK, move back to US?

Married in US, live in UK, move back to US?

Old Nov 18th 2015, 11:20 am
Just Joined

jayd0406 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Married in US, live in UK, move back to US?

Hi! I'm a US citizen and my fiancé is a UK citizen. We will be getting married in the US in January and we are applying for the UK VAF4A spouse visa and plan eventually to relocate to the states.
What will the process be for him to get a green card? Will there be a problem since we would have gotten married in the US a few years before without a fiancé visa even though we didn't need to as we would have moved after?

Can't find info about this specific question. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old Nov 18th 2015, 12:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Married in US, live in UK, move back to US?

Whenever you guys are ready to immigrate to the USA, he will go through the process of obtaining an immigrant visa. Research CR-1 immigrant visa.

It will be fine that you married in the USA this way... it's perfectly legal.

Rene
Old Nov 18th 2015, 12:56 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayd0406
What will the process be for him to get a green card?
If you're living in the UK, the USC spouse submits form I-130 directly to London along with the required evidence. In about 6 months, the non-USC spouse will receive an immigrant visa. The day he enters the US with that immigrant visa, he will get a green card.

Will there be a problem since we would have gotten married in the US a few years before without a fiancé visa even though we didn't need to as we would have moved after?
No. Where and when you married is pretty much irrelevant.

Ian
Old Nov 18th 2015, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

How long do you intend to live in the UK?

The UK spouse visa is an expensive visa to obtain (1,000 + GBP initially) and then a similar amount after the initial 2.5 year period.

IF you leave the UK before the US citizen obtains UK citizenship (5 years) and remain out of the UK for two years plus, should you wish to return to the UK its back to square one again with immigration.

Just something to think about.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 9:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayd0406
Hi! I'm a US citizen and my fiancé is a UK citizen. We will be getting married in the US in January and we are applying for the UK VAF4A spouse visa and plan eventually to relocate to the states.
What will the process be for him to get a green card? Will there be a problem since we would have gotten married in the US a few years before without a fiancé visa even though we didn't need to as we would have moved after?

Can't find info about this specific question. .....
You're doing exactly what we did, albeit 15 years ago, Mrs P is the USC. Every step of what you are proposing is perfectly legal and commonly done, and stringing the steps together doesn't change anything.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 18th 2015 at 9:57 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

rosco74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Similar position to myself and my wife.

She is a USC. We're married 3yrs next month with a 2yo son.

We're thinking of moving to the US soon, HOWEVER, I have entered the US 3 times on the VWP never expecting to ever emmigrate there. I have a record, but looking on here still unsure if any of it involves CIMT bah.

I'm going with yes as I was most definitely arrested several times as a teen between 1991 and 1995.

If we apply could I now face being barred from the US? I've read up on criminal record waivers which I would definitely be able to apply for, however the possibility of being accused of Immigration fraud is the real bugger here.....
Old Jan 5th 2016, 8:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rosco74
Similar position to myself and my wife.

She is a USC. We're married 3yrs next month with a 2yo son.

We're thinking of moving to the US soon, HOWEVER, I have entered the US 3 times on the VWP never expecting to ever emmigrate there. I have a record, but looking on here still unsure if any of it involves CIMT bah.

I'm going with yes as I was most definitely arrested several times as a teen between 1991 and 1995.

If we apply could I now face being barred from the US? I've read up on criminal record waivers which I would definitely be able to apply for, however the possibility of being accused of Immigration fraud is the real bugger here.....
The only relevant advice is "consult an experienced immigration attorney before proceding". You have a high potential to louse things up significantly or even permanently.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 8:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Whether you are unable to obtain an immigrant visa depends on the reason for the arrests.

If they aren't the type that will prevent immigration, your previous VWP entries should not be an issue.

Rene
Old Jan 5th 2016, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

rosco74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Rene and Pulauski.

I've made contact with an attorney just waiting for a reply and a quote... Not expecting it to be cheap though.

Several larcenies and criminal damage with 2 periods of juvenile detention.