Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Married name change and I-130 form

Married name change and I-130 form

Old Jul 26th 2017, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

EdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Married name change and I-130 form

I've had a little research and am finding some conflicting advice with regards to a USC changing their surname following marriage that hopefully someone can clarify.

We're looking at filing the I-130 soon after the wedding takes place. My then wife who is the USC will be filing the petition. Should she be ok using her married name on these forms to start with even though it may take a while to update things like SSN, driving license and passport etc?

Some places seem to suggest it shouldn't be a problem where as others seem to suggest waiting until after the whole process is complete before changing name. Just wondering what the best course of action would be as we don't want to hit any delays as a result of this and has anyone else here done this with ease?
Old Jul 26th 2017, 9:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Married name change and I-130 form

She can change her name if she wants and it likely won't cause any issues, but if you want to eliminate the relatively small risk of the name change causing a delay then she should wait until after the visa has been processed.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 9:36 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't matter one way or the other. If she is going to be adopting your surname and eliminating her maiden surname altogether then she should really start using your last name now. The inclusion of the marriage certificate with the petition will show her maiden name as well as your surname and USCIS can figure it out. The form asks for her maiden name or any other surnames she has used in the past anyway.

Which process will you be using for your visa? Filing I-130 stateside while you remain in your own country or a country that you have a visa to live in or is she currently living with you with that country's legal framework of immigration and going to be doing direct consular filing?
Old Jul 26th 2017, 11:12 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

she can use her married name on the I-130.

Rene
Old Jul 27th 2017, 1:49 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a UKC who married a USC going through an AOS right now.

On the i130 my wife used her maiden name, she has since changed her surname to mine through social security and DMV etc. We're just over 2 months in to the process.

If i get anything back from the USCIS related to it, i'll let you know.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

bg1109 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jack8602
I'm a UKC who married a USC going through an AOS right now.

On the i130 my wife used her maiden name, she has since changed her surname to mine through social security and DMV etc. We're just over 2 months in to the process.

If i get anything back from the USCIS related to it, i'll let you know.
Hi, Jack! I'm the fiance (and soon to be wife) in question. Please do let us know if anything happens with yours. We certainly don't want to risk delaying anything, since the process is so long as is. Thanks
Old Jul 27th 2017, 6:27 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bg1109
Hi, Jack! I'm the fiance (and soon to be wife) in question. Please do let us know if anything happens with yours. We certainly don't want to risk delaying anything, since the process is so long as is. Thanks
Will do
Old Jul 27th 2017, 10:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bg1109
I'm not Jack but when we did AOS I used my husband's last name without having any documentation showing my use of it. You don't submit a driver's license or a social security card (just the number). In fact, I never changed my passport until it expired and booked all my travel in my maiden name and I'm the USC. I never changed my driver's license or my credit cards or my apartment lease. It is only last year that I adopted my husband's surname because I am now retired and moved to a new state. When I went to transfer the DL, I took my new passport with me to show my use of his last name.

One of my daughters who is married over 10 years has never adopted her husband's last name not even though they have a child together. The school knows her as Ms. Maiden Name and the child as Ms. Daddy's Last Name.

Using your husband's last name will not cause a delay.

Last edited by Rete; Jul 27th 2017 at 10:50 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2017, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

EdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rete, that makes me feel a lot better about the process.