Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

married 1 yr, change status now or wait another year?

married 1 yr, change status now or wait another year?

Old Feb 1st 2001, 2:52 am
apdzai

I have been married for almost a year now and hold a H1B visa. My husband is getting his
citizenship next month. My question is should I apply to change status this year or should
I wait till the second anniversary to apply for an unconditional green card? If I apply
for conditional green card at the first anniversary, can I apply to waive the condition at
the second anniversary? Please advice.

Old Feb 1st 2001, 10:32 pm
catzmeow

I have been married for almost a year now and hold a H1B visa. My
> husband is getting his citizenship next month. My question is should I apply to
> change status this year or should I wait till the second anniversary to apply
> for an unconditional green card? If I apply for conditional green card at the
> first anniversary, can I apply to waive the condition at the second anniversary?
> Please advice.
>

You should apply to adjust status as soon as your husband gets his citizenship. Once you
apply it could still take 2 years to complete the process after which you will have been
married for 2 years so you will likely get an unconditional green card by the time your
application is processed. The time it takes to complete adjustment of status depends on
where you live. Good luck!