Marriage scam for GC

Old Dec 1st 2005, 7:31 pm
Banned

marasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Marriage scam for GC

Clearly one has to be dumb to be married to more than one person at the same time, and its even worse when one files to US for both of them.

====================

Originally Posted by bantik2005
thats what i thought too. There was similar situation in TX last year, I read somewhere, but they were Mexicans, and there were two sisters who were organazing all that (like one USC would be marrying to more than one aliens and obviously filing petitions for them).
I read that long time ago, I may be mistaken.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Jenney,

I read that as petitioning for more than one spouse *at the same time*. Although it doesn't say that, it's how I took it.

Rene
Yeah me three. In one part of the article it said that one of the people had married two different people in 2002 -- since one year is not enough time to marry, get a GC, and get divorced, I took that to mean that they married and filed for both people at the same time. Two reactions:

1) amazement that the super crime ring was so stupid
2) OMG you mean the USCIS doesn't even cross check to see if you filed for more than one spouse?!?
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 2:29 am

marasmus wrote:

>>Hi Jenney,
    >>I read that as petitioning for more than one spouse *at the same
    >>time*. Although it doesn't say that, it's how I took it.
    >>Rene
    >
    >
    > so does it follow that if one becomes USC via marriage they will always
    > be looked at suspiciously if they divorce and file to bring someone from
    > outside the US?

How mmany times?

Seriously, I would think if you came to you via marriage, quickly
divorced upon obtaining your citizenship, and then immediately filed to
sponser someone else froom your home country, that might be a little
suspicious. However, this would be abnormal since it takes 3 years to be
eligible for citizenship based on marriage. I would say it would take 4
years, give or take a few months, considering the delay for the N-400
process. So, it would be a very slow process to do this for each normal
attempt. As Rene said, and what the reported or copy editor probably
left out of the news story, it seems that the people that were doing
this were doing it multiple times over a short time span.

Old Dec 2nd 2005, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi Elaine:

I've sent over the LA Times article upon which the AP one seems to be based. Although I'm as pedantic as the next person [ ], they do note that citizenship is available in three years. And I'm willing to be that the idea is that they will get citizenship in three years and then start bringing over parents, new spouses, you name it.
Hi,

I'm willing to bet that too... my main problem is really with the bad journalism these days. Nobody seems to verify anything anymore, context is very much missing most of the time and important steps in between are omitted. The bad quality of the article is what got me most.

Elaine
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Jenney,

I read that as petitioning for more than one spouse *at the same time*. Although it doesn't say that, it's how I took it.

Rene
Me four.

Elaine
Old Dec 4th 2005, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

sea_dave is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by fatbrit
"LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Federal authorities say a sophisticated marriage scam in southern California charged foreigners seeking citizenship $60,000 for a mate, and even provided fake wedding photographs, fake tax returns and love letters."
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/30/mar....ap/index.html

Seemed interesting the amount of organization that is now going into it. And there's big money to be made, it would seem...

I thinks its all a bunch of bull... how does a person in third world country come up with 60,000 ?? when they make less that 10% of that a year..
Old Dec 4th 2005, 8:56 pm
Together at last!

Simon&Vik will become famous soon enoughSimon&Vik will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Jenney & Mark wrote:
Not really. Second marriages are very common.
I doubt the vast marjority of 2nd time visa sponsors are considered as
"suspiciouos".
Second marriages are very common, but I would think that falling in love with more than 1 foreign person enough to marry them & go through immigration crap *would* be uncommon. Esp after knowing what a pain it is after going through it the 1st time...
Old Dec 5th 2005, 2:23 am

sea_dave wrote:

>>"LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Federal authorities say a
    >>sophisticated marriage scam in southern California charged foreigners
    >>seeking citizenship $60,000 for a mate, and even provided fake wedding
    >>photographs, fake tax returns and love letters."
    >>http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/30/mar....ap/index.html
    >>Seemed interesting the amount of organization that is now going into
    >>it. And there's big money to be made, it would seem...
    >
    >
    > I thinks its all a bunch of bull... how does a person in third
    > world country come up with 60,000 ?? when they make less that 10% of
    > that a year..
    >

Some have relatives in the US, or they might agree to work it off.