Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Marriage or Fiance visa ?

Marriage or Fiance visa ?

Old Dec 26th 2013, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

anandkumar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marriage or Fiance visa ?

I want to get married to my girl friend in another country.

We met once but we talk for hours every day.

I am going to meet her again in a few months.

I never thought of taking pics together so, this time I have to make sure I take some pics. So i can gather some evidence. What evidences are required to file for k1.

My question is should I file for K1 visa or Marriage visa.

Which one has higher chances of getting a visa ?.

We have a age difference of 14 years does it give any problems.

I am ok with marrying her when i go this time. How long will it take for both visas.
Old Dec 26th 2013, 8:50 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage or Fiance visa ?

Well first obvious question, is either of you a US Citizen? You don't actually say!

If you want good information, you need to give good information.
Old Dec 26th 2013, 11:20 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anandkumar
What evidences are required to file for k1.
You must demonstrate two things: 1) that your fiancée is a US citizen; and 2) that you met face-to-face, at least once, during the previous two years.

That depends on where you want to get married. If you want a K-1 visa, you must get married in the US after you get the visa. If you want a spouse visa, you can get married anywhere you want before you apply for the visa.

Both have equal chances.

Not usually, no.

I am ok with marrying her when i go this time.
If you get married, you can't get a K-1 visa. A K-1 is available only to someone who is not yet married.

How long will it take for both visas.
Both visas take about 8-10 months to get.

Ian
Old Dec 26th 2013, 1:12 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

If the marriage is going to take place in another country, as you write here, then a K-1 fiance(e) visa is out of the question.

Evidence that one of you is a US citizen, and evidence that the two of you have met in person at least once in the two years prior to submitting the I-129f petition. Specific evidence is up to you, but read the I-129f instructions for required documentation and suggested other evidence.
We met once but we talk for hours every day.

I am going to meet her again in a few months.

I never thought of taking pics together so, this time I have to make sure I take some pics. So i can gather some evidence. What evidences are required to file for k1.
Same same.
Maybe, maybe not. It's but one of many pieces of the jigsaw puzzle.
From today? Or from when?
I am ok with marrying her when i go this time. How long will it take for both visas.
Regards, JEff

Last edited by Noorah101; Dec 26th 2013 at 2:19 pm. Reason: fixed quotes
Old Dec 26th 2013, 2:25 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you or your girlfriend a USC?

Go to www.uscis.gov, Forms, and look up the I-129F form and instructions. Your answer is there.

That's really just a personal preference. You could do either one. Do you prefer to spend your time apart as an engaged couple or a married couple? is working right away in the USA very important to the immigrant? Depending on the answers to these questions, you might get a better idea of which visa to go for.

They are equal.

A visa can't be denied on age difference alone, but it could be scrutinized if the ConOff feels the relationship is for immigration benefits only. It might depend on what's typical in your culture, and which one of you is the older one. For the record, I am the female USC, my fiance was from Iran and I am 13 years older than he is. That's very unusual in his culture, for the female to be so much older in a relationship. A note was made in our file about the age difference, but it did not hinder any of the entire immigration process...he is now a USC.

The K-1 visa through London typically takes about 6 - 8 months from filing I-129F to visa interview.

The spouse Immigrant Visa through London typically takes about 8 - 10 months, plus the time it takes to get married first before you can start the process.

If you are not going through London, other consulates might have different processing times.

Rene