Marriage on F1?

Old Jan 17th 2018, 2:39 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage on F1?

Originally Posted by Maste
How do we prove a bona fide relationship by the way? I saw it as a recommendation to provide proof. I mean, we are still pretty young so don't really have shared accounts, shared mortgage, bills etc. We both get letters sent to us here at our address, would maybe including a letter with our name and address on prove that we reside at the same address?

I mean, we have photos together, and that's mostly it, but otherwise we don't have much else.
You dont have to provide this evidence until the AOS interview, so you have time to gather proof of your joint life together as a married couple. USCIS won't want to see anything prior to the marriage. Here are some examples of evidence:
Joint banking
Joint health insurance
Joint car insurance
Printout from work showing the other as benificiary on life insurance, 401K, etc.
Joint utility bills
Joint cell phone plan
Joint memberships like a gym, Costco, etc
Individual mail coming to each of you at the same address

The sworn affidavits are the weakest form of evidence, and you should be able to get a couple of months worth of the other, stronger evidence to take to the AOS interview. Don't include any of that with the AOS package.

Rene
Old Jan 17th 2018, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You dont have to provide this evidence until the AOS interview, so you have time to gather proof of your joint life together as a married couple. USCIS won't want to see anything prior to the marriage. Here are some examples of evidence:
Joint banking
Joint health insurance
Joint car insurance
Printout from work showing the other as benificiary on life insurance, 401K, etc.
Joint utility bills
Joint cell phone plan
Joint memberships like a gym, Costco, etc
Individual mail coming to each of you at the same address

The sworn affidavits are the weakest form of evidence, and you should be able to get a couple of months worth of the other, stronger evidence to take to the AOS interview. Don't include any of that with the AOS package.

Rene
Okay cool, so get my name added to the bills and open a bank account jointly, use them until we get called for AOS interview, and take photos, evidence of joint accounts etc to the interview?

I had read on the forms to include evidence of your bona fide marriage, which is hard if we will have only been married a week or less before we sent it off! So they won't send a RFE for evidence of bona fide relationship?
Old Jan 17th 2018, 2:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Okay cool, so get my name added to the bills and open a bank account jointly, use them until we get called for AOS interview, and take photos, evidence of joint accounts etc to the interview?

I had read on the forms to include evidence of your bona fide marriage, which is hard if we will have only been married a week or less before we sent it off! So they won't send a RFE for evidence of bona fide relationship?
Follow the instructions on the I-485. To my knowledge, for AOS, evidence is taken to the interview.

It's when sending a stand-alone I-130 for an immigrant visa that evidence is included with the I-130.

Rene
Old Jan 17th 2018, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Marriage certificate is all you need for I-485. At the interview you will be asked to present anything that will help your case.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Marriage certificate is all you need for I-485. At the interview you will be asked to present anything that will help your case.
Oh, ok. It's just the instructions has a list of things such as passport photos, copy of visa I entered on, copy of my I-94, copy of passport, etc!

So now I'm confused!
Old Jan 17th 2018, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, ok. It's just the instructions has a list of things such as passport photos, copy of visa I entered on, copy of my I-94, copy of passport, etc!

So now I'm confused!
Send everything asked in I-485 instructions.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute

Send what it asks on the form. We sent pictures in our pack but took a photo album to the interview. We were asked to follow up with three signed letters.

They understand that you have just married so won’t have a lot of history. They are looking for a bonafide relationship overall.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 3:54 pm

So now I'm confused!
Yes, send those. Those are not evidence of your joint life together.

Rene
Old Jan 19th 2018, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

We have made a start on the forms, following the instructions, etc. I have to include my birth certificate, but as I had my surname changed when I was young from my fathers to my mothers, I guess I'd simply include a copy of the deed poll confirming my name change?

Also, I do not know my fathers DOB as I haven't had contact with him for years. Would putting 'unknown' in the box suffice, or would I have to find out somehow?
Old Jan 19th 2018, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute

We have made a start on the forms, following the instructions, etc. I have to include my birth certificate, but as I had my surname changed when I was young from my fathers to my mothers, I guess I'd simply include a copy of the deed poll confirming my name change?

Also, I do not know my fathers DOB as I haven't had contact with him for years. Would putting 'unknown' in the box suffice, or would I have to find out somehow?
If you don't know it then don't worry. If you can get it, great. Some people have never met their mother/father. Deed poll should be fine, I did a name change and they accepted a scrap of paper with a 'statutory declaration' I'd downloaded.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

I wouldn't worry too much if you don't know the DOB.

I assume it's for them checking if you may already be a US citizen.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by notaclue
If you don't know it then don't worry. If you can get it, great. Some people have never met their mother/father. Deed poll should be fine, I did a name change and they accepted a scrap of paper with a 'statutory declaration' I'd downloaded.
Originally Posted by tom169
I wouldn't worry too much if you don't know the DOB.

I assume it's for them checking if you may already be a US citizen.
Okay, thanks guys. I just typed UNKNOWN in the box for that stuff. I assume that's fine, because that's the truthful answer for me! Is it okay to leave boxes that don't apply to me blank, or should we be typing N/A in them?
Old Jan 20th 2018, 12:12 pm

Okay, thanks guys. I just typed UNKNOWN in the box for that stuff. I assume that's fine, because that's the truthful answer for me! Is it okay to leave boxes that don't apply to me blank, or should we be typing N/A in them?
Type NA if that is applicable to the question. Type a word, such as Unknown, None, Never, etc. if that's application to the question. If unsure, leave it blank but then use a pen to draw a line through the blank after you print it out, this shows you saw the question but don't have an answer.

Rene
Old Jan 20th 2018, 2:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I guess congratulations are in order for you and your now fiancée. I've been away and not read the entire thread but it appears that her parents have accepted you as her future husband and have given you permission to marry.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 2:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Type NA if that is applicable to the question. Type a word, such as Unknown, None, Never, etc. if that's application to the question. If unsure, leave it blank but then use a pen to draw a line through the blank after you print it out, this shows you saw the question but don't have an answer.

Rene
Be careful with the use of N/A. You might think it is not applicable to you, but it is and N/A is the wrong choice. For example, if the question asks how many children, it is not N/A but None. The question is applicable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.