Marriage on F1?

Old Dec 31st 2017, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage on F1?

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I think you may be underestimating your families. They will in all probability be happy that you have decided to marry and will understand the situation-- a simple visit to the preacher with perhaps just both sets of parents present would be perfect and make things more straightforward for you and fulfill their religious needs. Then, they/you are free to throw a big bash, perhaps with a blessing of your union, for a lot of people at a later date, if that is desired.
Yes, we possibly are! I mean, we already live together, have a pet, etc. So it's the next logical step, I guess? To be honest, I think we are both uncomfortable with doing it secretly, and would much rather both sets of parents knew at least, and then have a celebration ceremony later on where the rest of our families and friends can 'officially' celebrate it with us. We definitely would want a blessing down the line.

Originally Posted by Rete
I was going to write that having a quick ceremony and keeping it a secret will do nothing for the disapproval coming your way from the more conservative Christian members of the family. Of course, I don't know you or her or the families. But parents, mother in particular, are very emotional when it comes to their children marrying and want to be part of the ceremony.

Be upfront about the wedding. You can keep it simple, as Nutmegger said, and then the parents can happily pass on the news to relatives.

BTW wouldn't her family want to throw a party for the two of you to celebrate the marriage? And honestly, it is a shame that you will have to give up going to classes full time when you need to find full time employment to support the two of you.

Also, bear in mind, if she cannot complete the I-864 and be the sole financial supporter of your visa won't she have to ask a family member to do so? Cat .... Bag and all that.
As I said above, we are going to speak to both of our parents, and just ask for them to keep it to themselves, so at least our parents can know/witness it. Then we will say we do want an 'official' ceremony later on.

Regarding classes and employment; my school has pretty much all grad courses completed in the evening! Which would mean I can then do both; work full time and still do grad school, which is part of our reason for considering doing this. That makes sense, I suppose?

She gets a 30k stipend from school, which is enough, I am led to believe?

Originally Posted by notaclue
I did the exact thing you are thinking of.

I was an F1 and we got a courthouse wedding (Although we are having a big wedding this coming July). The reason behind that was I was a student and couldn't work and we both needed to save up for said wedding. So we did the AOS and I've been working and saving since.

In short you need to:

- Get married
- Your now wife needs to earn over the poverty line (I think it's 20 grand?)
- You need to file a bunch of forms that will cost close to $2000 (Including a medical)
- You go for biometrics (Usually around now you can start working)
- You both go for an interview
- You are approved and get your greencard

See my time line below for a rough guide as to the time taken.

In short, get married and find $2000. Your girlfriend/wife needs to earn more than $20,000 or you'll need to fess up and ask her family for financial assurances on the form (No physical money).
Thank you. Was the process smooth sailing?

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If you are good with filling out forms, have attention to detail and patience, very simple.

Not a 'proper' one, because the proper one will have been the legal one. But you can do a fake fancy one to make everyone think it's the legal one. Keep in mind that forever more, you will have 2 anniversary dates (i.e. your legal one that you two might celebrate on the anniversary, and the fake one that everyone else sends you good wishes on. This doesn't matter except in the future you might end up letting the secret out after the fact, which could cause hurt feelings for those who didn't know.

Not from me, but I imagine it's just a case of setting up the venue, the person performing the ceremony, inviting the guests, etc....and just making sure the person performing the ceremony treats it as an original one (you'll have to let that person in on the secret because you'll already have a marriage certificate and all that).

Yes, it makes sense, and is within your rights and within the law.

Personally, I would just tell everyone you're getting married sooner rather than later, as others have suggested. Makes life a whole lot easier.

Rene
Thanks for your insight. We should be good with forms, I had done a good bunch of it for the F1 visa, and my girlfriend has done some grant applications, so I think we should be fine there!

Well, we would ideally like an 'unofficial' ceremony I guess, where our family and friends can know and celebrate with us properly.
Old Dec 31st 2017, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

So reading your replies, and speaking a little bit to the girlfriend today, we are going to talk to our parents and go from there. We will talk to hers first, as they're a lot more conservative than mine, and my parents will be more than happy to give our blessings so long as my girlfriends parents approve.

We will explain why and give our reasoning. It makes sense, as it's the next logical step in our relationship. We have a pet, we live together, and we been together long enough to know this is what we want for our life.

Also, it makes sense financially. My classes are evening, and I can therefore work full time, still do my masters and contribute that little bit more financially too. It also makes sense as it will give me a little more freedom than my current visa does.

Thanks guys!
Old Dec 31st 2017, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

As her parents are conservative Christian's then the dad may expect you to privately go to him first and ask for his blessing.
Old Dec 31st 2017, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maste
So reading your replies, and speaking a little bit to the girlfriend today, we are going to talk to our parents and go from there.
I think this is a wonderful plan, for lots of logistical and emotional reasons. Well done! So exciting!

Originally Posted by tom169
As her parents are conservative Christian's then the dad may expect you to privately go to him first and ask for his blessing.
Old Dec 31st 2017, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tom169
That is true. I'll speak to him alone first. My feeling is he will be happy for us and pretty supportive. From what I know of her family, it will be her mother who has the most reservations etc. Hopefully we can get them to see it from our point of view though.

Originally Posted by KK85
I think this is a wonderful plan, for lots of logistical and emotional reasons. Well done! So exciting!

Yeah, we would have felt guilty doing it under the radar without our parents knowing. I will keep you all up to date, if you wish to know of developments!
Old Dec 31st 2017, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

That is true. I'll speak to him alone first. My feeling is he will be happy for us and pretty supportive. From what I know of her family, it will be her mother who has the most reservations etc. Hopefully we can get them to see it from our point of view though.
I'm going to place my bet on her being utterly delighted.

Yeah, we would have felt guilty doing it under the radar without our parents knowing. I will keep you all up to date, if you wish to know of developments!
Yes please!
Old Dec 31st 2017, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck!
Old Dec 31st 2017, 1:45 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

She gets a 30k stipend from school....
I'm not very familiar with stipends. Is this something she will eventually have to pay back? Does it come in a lump sum, or as monthly income? Has she been filing US tax returns, and the stipend is declared as income?

Rene
Old Dec 31st 2017, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

I'm not very familiar with stipends. Is this something she will eventually have to pay back? Does it come in a lump sum, or as monthly income? Has she been filing US tax returns, and the stipend is declared as income?

Rene
A stipend is essentially a tax free salary. Stipends usually come with full or part tuition waivers, it's often a way for schools to get cheap labor per se, and also the students gains a tonne of great experience. So win win for both people in these kind of situations.

She gets it monthly from the school she does her PhD at, and it is classed as income for tax return purposes, though it isn't taxed! She does her own tax returns.

With Trumps tax changes, they were making it that students tuition waivers count as income, and they were going to tax grad students (it didn't happen in the end though). This would have bumped her up to around 70k in theory, but she doesn't actually get that. Although I'm not sure if the tax reform is expecting grad students to report tuition waivers as income but tax free still.
Old Dec 31st 2017, 2:13 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, as long as she has tax returns and can prove she receives that income, you should be good to go!

Rene
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Girlfriends dad is coming down next week, to help out with some big jobs round the house. I will take the opportunity to talk to him then, and see what he thinks of the idea.

We will go from there!
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 7:53 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Girlfriends dad is coming down next week, to help out with some big jobs round the house. I will take the opportunity to talk to him then, and see what he thinks of the idea.

We will go from there!
Lead off by asking for her hand, and he'll be putty in yours! Good luck!
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Lead off by asking for her hand, and he'll be putty in yours! Good luck!
I wouldn't quite say putty But I'm nervous due how conservative they are on stuff!
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 12:13 am

None of my business, and off-topic, I know, but if they are so conservative, how is it they would approve living together but not getting married?

Rene
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

None of my business, and off-topic, I know, but if they are so conservative, how is it they would approve living together but not getting married?

Rene
I have no idea, all I know is it took a lot of persuading and a good talk from my girlfriend to get them to see it was beneficial and it would be okay. We have to have separate bedrooms when we visit them and family etc though, which I respect and get.

Maybe I need to get the girlfriend to use the gift of the gab she appears to have!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.