Marriage for Comfort

Old Sep 5th 2002, 2:04 am
Eric & Liza Santiago

Default Marriage for Comfort

Is there such a thing, marry an American woman get the Green Card after a year
Divorce after several months then become a US Citizen?

Eric

Old Sep 5th 2002, 2:13 am
Stuart Brook

Default Re: Marriage for Comfort

Eric & Liza Santiago wrote:
    > Is there such a thing, marry an American woman get the Green Card after a year
    > Divorce after several months then become a US Citizen?
    > Eric

It's called a Marriage of Convenience, and it is considered FRAUD. The INS go to
great lengths to check for marriages of convenience and will deport and bar people
who try it.

Go find the movie "Green Card" with Gerard Depardieu ... They were caught in the game
although their faked romance became real by the time he was deported!

Old Sep 5th 2002, 4:45 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Eric & Liza Santiago:
Is there such a thing, marry an American woman get the Green Card after a year Divorce after several months then become a US Citizen?

Eric
Eric, aren't you already married to Liza? Where does she fit in your plan to become a US citizen?
Old Sep 5th 2002, 9:39 am
Eric & Liza Santiago

Hi Pulaski,

As per my earlier reply, t'was just a question whether such an arrangement does
exist, and thanks for asking yes Im very much happily married to Liza.

Thanks and Regards,

Eric

Pulaski <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by Eric & Liza Santiago:
    > > Is there such a thing, marry an American woman get the Green Card after a year
    > > Divorce after several months then become a US Citizen?
    > >
    > > Eric
    > >
    > Eric, aren't you already married to Liza? Where does she fit in your plan to
    > become a US citizen?
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 5th 2002, 12:29 pm
Matthew Brooks

Stuart Brook <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:<[email protected] da.ca>...
    > Eric & Liza Santiago wrote:
    > >
    > > Is there such a thing, marry an American woman get the Green Card after a year
    > >
    > > Eric
    > It's called a Marriage of Convenience, and it is considered FRAUD. The INS go to
    > great lengths to check for marriages of convenience and will deport and bar people
    > who try it.
    > Go find the movie "Green Card" with Gerard Depardieu ... They were caught in the
    > game although their faked romance became real by the time he was deported!

Is it really that hard to do though? Do you need to be married for only a year? I
have no intention of doing this but just for interest's sake

Old Sep 5th 2002, 1:06 pm
L D Jones

Eric & Liza Santiago wrote:
    > Is there such a thing, marry an American woman get the Green Card after a year
    > Divorce after several months then become a US Citizen?

Not really. Such marriages do exist I'm sure but only after 3 years can one apply for
citizenship based on marriage (and still must be married). If divorced I believe the
residency requirement is 5 years.

Old Sep 5th 2002, 10:44 pm
Aftonokla

It is hard to get awy with it. You have to be very sneaky and cover all your bases
extremely well to pull it off.

Old Sep 7th 2002, 2:45 am
James Donovan

Stuart Brook <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:<[email protected] da.ca>...
    > Eric & Liza Santiago wrote:
    > >
    > >
    > > Eric
    > It's called a Marriage of Convenience, and it is considered FRAUD. The INS go to
    > great lengths to check for marriages of convenience and will deport and bar people
    > who try it.

Marriages of convenience are a very popular for immigrants to buy their way into the
USA. Small wonder, that out of all the categories of legal immigrants, spouses of US
citizens are the single largest category in terms of numbers.

I have nothing against an American falling in love with a foreigner and marrying him
or her and bringing him or her to the USA. But when a sacred institution such as
marriage is used to scam my country for personal gain, I have a problem with it.

> Go find the movie "Green Card" with Gerard Depardieu ... They were caught in the
    > game although their faked romance became real by the time he was deported!

I saw that movie on cable the other day. Although right in concept, it has several
inaccuracies. The two major ones are INS conducting the interview at his home, and
the fact that he gets deported immediately and personally by the INS.

Old Sep 7th 2002, 2:50 am
James Donovan

[email protected] (AftonOkla) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > It is hard to get awy with it. You have to be very sneaky and cover all your bases
    > extremely well to pull it off.

It is not hard at all. INS does not check much of anything, and hence millions have
already gotten away with it. An interview can be rehearsed quite well, and
documentation can be quite easily forged. These people know exactly how the game is
played and how to fool INS. INS DAO's have even reached the point where they don't
even care that much anymore.

Once the price is right, anyone can become an American by marriage.

Old Sep 7th 2002, 2:53 am
James Donovan

[email protected] (Matthew Brooks) wrote in message
news:<[email protected] om>...

> Is it really that hard to do though? Do you need to be married for only a year? I
    > have no intention of doing this but just for interest's sake

I have no intention of doing it either, as I am already a happily married natural
born American citizen. But, it is not hard to do. Millions have already done it, and
I am pretty sure millions will continue to do it. On average, everything takes 3
years, because you have the conditional 2 year green card. Foreigners will do almost
anything to get into the USA and this is method numero uno.

Old Sep 7th 2002, 5:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by James Donovan:
[email protected] (Matthew Brooks) wrote in message
news:<[email protected] om>.

..... Millions have already done it, and I am pretty sure millions will continue to do it. ......
I am sure that, to some degree you a right, but you are presuming that there are an equivalent number of Americans prepared to marry for money. Some will, I am sure, but do you really think that there are "millions" of Americans who are prepared to do this?
Old Sep 8th 2002, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

cowall is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Eric & Liza Santiago:
Is there such a thing, marry an American woman get the Green Card after a year
Divorce after several months then become a US Citizen?

Eric
i don't think it is that easy to do, the INS are very thorough and you would have to stay married and live together for 2 or 3 years anyway. if you are already married may i ask why you are asking? i don't mean to be rude but it is fraudulent marriages like this who make it a nightmare of paperwork, ins bullying, and long periods of separation for real couples who love each other.
Old Sep 8th 2002, 4:17 pm
James Donovan

Pulaski <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Originally posted by James Donovan:
    > > [email protected] (Matthew Brooks) wrote in message news:.
    > >
    > > ..... Millions have already done it, and I am pretty sure millions will continue
    > > to do it. ......
    > I am sure that, to some degree you a right, but you are presuming that there are an
    > equivalent number of Americans prepared to marry for money. Some will, I am sure,
    > but do you really think that there are "millions" of Americans who are prepared to
    > do this?

The institution of marriage is dead. Many of the Americans who do this sort of scam
are either immigrants themselves (naturalized) or 1st generation. Some also get into
a marriage without knowing that the man/woman was marrying her/him for a green card,
only to find out later. There are quite a few examples who have posted here and I am
pretty sure many more in the real world.

Old Sep 9th 2002, 1:15 am

Originally posted by James Donovan:

The institution of marriage is dead. ...
There are millions of Americans that would disagree with you on that point. There are still many, probably the majority, people who will marry, and even after a divorce will marry again. A triumph of optimism over experience, perhaps, but it still shows belief in the insitution of marriage.

.... There are quite a few examples who have posted here and I am pretty sure many more in the real world.
"Many" as maybe, but I doubt "millions".
Old Sep 9th 2002, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

jcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant future

The institution of marriage is dead. Many of the Americans who do this sort of scam
are either immigrants themselves (naturalized) or 1st generation. Some also get into
a marriage without knowing that the man/woman was marrying her/him for a green card,
only to find out later. There are quite a few examples who have posted here and I am
pretty sure many more in the real world.
[/QUOTE]

I would be most interested to find out where you get you statistics from.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.