Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

marriage certificate from a foreign country

marriage certificate from a foreign country

Old Jan 27th 2001, 9:38 pm
exyz

Today, we received a letter from the INS asking for additional information to complete my
husband's AOS. We were also told that we may be called for an interview in the next 12
weeks. (Which would be amazing - in just about 16 months? ) The stuff asked for is fairly
routine, a 1999 federal income tax form for me, letter of employment, and visa pics of my
husband without his glasses on. (we sent our forms 11/99 to Charlotte).

But here's the confusing thing. We were married in the Netherlands. I was told by the
American consulate in the Netherlands to ask for an "international marriage certificate,"
form B. I also have a marriage booklet that we both signed and is all in Dutch. I sent the
international marriage certificate. I'm sure I did. But, they're asking me to send it
again. Either they lost the first one, or I forgot to send it. I hope that's the case. Or,
what's really troubling, they don't recognize the international one. I'm going to send it
again with an explanation, but has anyone else had this problem? What do you suggest.

And yes, I know we could have filed DCF, but my husband had an H1-B and we were thinking
of living in the US and then going to Holland,but we decided to stay here afterall so we
did the long and tortous thing.

Thanks for any advice Elaine

Old Jan 28th 2001, 12:14 am
Onigiri

Today, we received a letter from the INS asking for additional
> information to complete my husband's AOS. We were also told that we may be called for an
> interview in the next 12 weeks. (Which would be amazing - in just about 16 months? ) The
> stuff asked for is fairly routine, a 1999 federal income tax form for me, letter of
> employment, and visa pics of my husband without his glasses on. (we sent our forms 11/99
> to Charlotte).
>
> But here's the confusing thing. We were married in the Netherlands. I was told by the
> American consulate in the Netherlands to ask for an "international marriage
> certificate," form B. I also have a marriage booklet that we both signed and is all in
> Dutch. I sent the international marriage certificate. I'm sure I did. But, they're
> asking me to send it again. Either they lost the first one, or I forgot to send it. I
> hope that's the case. Or, what's really troubling, they don't recognize the
> international one. I'm going to send it again with an explanation, but has anyone else
> had this problem? What do you suggest.

You would have been living in sin, then !! We know that the booklet is all in Dutch. You
are not clear whether this international thingy is in English. If it is, then send another
copy and relax. This happens a lot. Request for the same stuff that was sent before. On
the positive side, small delays are not too bad. If things delayed until after your 2nd
anniversay then you get to save one petition (I-751) and more money($125). Take your time.

> Elaine

Old Jan 28th 2001, 12:56 am
exyz

In article <[email protected]> ,

> >
>
> You would have been living in sin, then !! We know that the
booklet is
> all in Dutch. You are not clear whether this international thingy
is in
> English. If it is, then send another copy and relax. This happens
a
> lot. Request for the same stuff that was sent before. On the positive side, small delays
> are not too bad. If things delayed until after your 2nd anniversay then you get to save
> one petition (I-751) and more money($125). Take your time.
>
>
Thanks. I suppose I wanted some reassurance that the INS does lose stuff and whether or
not anyone else has used an international marriage certificate.

I just checked the US embassy website for the Netherlands and I figure that the INS
probably lost the form or it was misplaced somehow. We did indeed send the international
marriage certificate which was the appropriate form (the "B" form which is in a variety of
languages, including English). I'm not sure what you mean by a delay, but if we fail to
supply this stuff to the INS by April 19, my husband's application could be denied (at
least that's what the letter says). We plan to send it in next week, though.

We don't have to worry about the I751 - we've been married more than 2 years (we were
married more than 2 years when we filed), but we will probably have to renew his EAD
(expires in June) just in case things are delayed.

e.

Old Jan 29th 2001, 11:59 am
webmaster

In the Netherlands you can get a normal in dutch written certificate or a international
certificate. There is a "B" in the right upper corner. (In this way you do not need a
translation.)

See our website www.usadutch.com

Did DCF on Jan 25 , 2001 in Amsterdam

Klaas & Eileen

> Today, we received a letter from the INS asking for additional information to complete
> my husband's AOS. We were also told that we may be called for an interview in the next
> 12 weeks. (Which would be amazing - in just about 16 months? ) The stuff asked for is
> fairly routine, a 1999 federal income tax form for me, letter of employment, and visa
> pics of my husband without his glasses on. (we sent our forms 11/99 to Charlotte).
>
> But here's the confusing thing. We were married in the Netherlands. I was told by the
> American consulate in the Netherlands to ask for an "international marriage
> certificate," form B. I also have a marriage booklet that we both signed and is all in
> Dutch. I sent the international marriage certificate. I'm sure I did. But, they're
> asking me to send it again. Either they lost the first one, or I forgot to send it. I
> hope that's the case. Or, what's really troubling, they don't recognize the
> international one. I'm going to send it again with an explanation, but has anyone else
> had this problem? What do you suggest.
>
> And yes, I know we could have filed DCF, but my husband had an H1-B and we were thinking
> of living in the US and then going to Holland,but we decided to stay here afterall so we
> did the long and tortous thing.
>
>
> Thanks for any advice Elaine
>