Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Looks like its over 😢

Looks like its over 😢

Old Nov 12th 2017, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looks like its over 😢

Originally Posted by Davethegoat
Still looking at the joint sponser issue, i have an uncle who lives in US but we are not close ( the odd facebook comment ) dont know how the hell you ask someone such a big question like that. Am i right in saying you are asking alot of someone to be a sponser?
Yes, you are asking a lot of someone. Apart from taking on the financial risk as already stated, they have to provide all their financial and personal information to you and the authorities for the I-864 application.

Not many people are prepared to provide such information for applicants who they are not very close to.
Old Nov 12th 2017, 10:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Dave

You've been given so much advice about what is needed. IMHO, it is time for you to d/l the required forms, do your reading, talk with your lady and decide what you are going to do when the divorces are both finalized.

At worse you bite the bullet, spend time apart, work your arse off, save your money until you have enough to be your own financial sponsor, marry her, and continue living apart until you obtain the CR-1. Your money becomes her money after marriage, so if you have the required savings between you in 1 to 3 years, you can qualify for your visa.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

Davethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond repute

At the moment it looks like that is our game plan. Booking a cheapish trip out there for xmas, then the next time will be to marry. Apart from that its gonna be save save save. Thats for everyones advice guys, id be lost without this forum.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Davethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond repute

Hhhhmmmmm i have an idea.......
First off, how often do people have trouble with the sponser/ benifits issue? My guess is all of this is to keep the office people happy and as long as i land a job and keep my head down then i should be ok, right?
My idea is, my mother joint owns a property with her brother which they rent out, if i was to swallow my pride and ask her to transfer her share into my name then this would give me enough assets to meet the critea.
Do they look at how long the property has been in my name or how i got the property? What are the chances and what scenarious would i lose this property?
Thanks and sorry for pestering again
Old Nov 13th 2017, 3:20 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hhhhmmmmm i have an idea.......
First off, how often do people have trouble with the sponser/ benifits issue? My guess is all of this is to keep the office people happy and as long as i land a job and keep my head down then i should be ok, right?
My idea is, my mother joint owns a property with her brother which they rent out, if i was to swallow my pride and ask her to transfer her share into my name then this would give me enough assets to meet the critea.
Do they look at how long the property has been in my name or how i got the property? What are the chances and what scenarious would i lose this property?
Thanks and sorry for pestering again
People do occassionally run into sponsorship issues, it's not all that uncommon.

It's all about the USC being able to show they can support you. After marriage, assets are considered joint, so any property you own can be shown in the I-864 as an asset. Whether you ever work or not in the USA, USCIS does not care at all.

Yes, USCIS will look at how you obtained the property, how long you've owned it, and how easy it would be to liquidate within 1 year if needed. Since it would be jointly owned between you and your uncle, AND there are renters living in it, it can't be easily liquidated. However, half the rental income could be used as income, if that helps your situation.

You also want to look into any tax implications from owning property and/or receiving rental income from the UK.

My guess is that the transfer of half the property will not be a great idea. If the ConOff thinks it was done simply to overcome the I-864 issue, it won't be accepted. And the fact that it's jointly owned means it's not easily liquidated...what if uncle refuses to sell, for example.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Nov 13th 2017 at 3:22 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Rene.
I guess thats the property issue out the window then.

I have a mate of a mate who is in the law side of things in the US, he has advised not to back track any tax income ( ie tips ) as this will open up a huge can of worms. So i guess she will have to just start claiming it all from here on.
The other question i have is, will her child maintanence from her ex husband be apart of her salery? If this is YES then we could be ok ish
Old Nov 14th 2017, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rene.

I have a mate of a mate who is in the law side of things in the US, he has advised not to back track any tax income ( ie tips ) as this will open up a huge can of worms. So i guess she will have to just start claiming it all from here on.
The other question i have is, will her child maintanence from her ex husband be apart of her salery? If this is YES then we could be ok ish
If she has not changed jobs and suddenly declares her tips on her next tax return, that could trigger an audit with potential for back taxes on previous years.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rene.

Yes you can include child support payments. You have to provide evidence that these payments are being made and are 'official' - not just a verbal agreement between spouses.

See part 6 of the Instructions document for I-864 Affidavit of support (can't link it for some reason)
Old Nov 14th 2017, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks people, finally some good news for me then 😆. I will take on board about the sudden tax increase aswell.
Again thanks.
Lots of sleepless nights over all this 😩