Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Looks like its over 😢

Looks like its over 😢

Old Nov 9th 2017, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Davethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Looks like its over 😢

Well ive just got back from florida after visiting my partner and children and hit a massive wall.
Here is our problem.
She has 3 young children and is still going through a devorce, only been working part time as a hair stylist as looking after children.alot of her income is in cash tips. She thinks her next tax return will be about $20,000. ( well below the $35,000 povity base line to suport herself, me and 3 kids ). Im looking at being made redundent in the summer with an expected £30,000 payout and i thought that this would be enough to cover it but just found out cash has to be 5 times the amount of salery. So this is far short of the expected guide lines. Alot of her family have passed away and she isnt close to the rest sadly so nobody to ask to be a co sponser.
The only thing that may help us is if she can work alot more hours over the next year or if her asshole ex starts to pay child maintenance and this is included in her salery and next years tax return, Im not sure if it is included?
Other than that i cant see how we can move forward together. Any help would be fantastic.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looks like its over 😢

Do you own your home?

The only thing that sticks out to me would be a co-sponsor. You say all of the family she is close to has passed away.. The co-sponsor doesn't have to be a family member. It can just be anyone that meets the requirements so maybe she could ask a friend? a co-worker?
Old Nov 9th 2017, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

The assets required are 3 times the poverty level if your sponsor is a US citizen.

(does not help much in your case, sorry)
Old Nov 9th 2017, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Davethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
Do you own your home?

The only thing that sticks out to me would be a co-sponsor. You say all of the family she is close to has passed away.. The co-sponsor doesn't have to be a family member. It can just be anyone that meets the requirements so maybe she could ask a friend? a co-worker?
Im just finalising my own devorce and my ex has stripped me of almost everything ( just enough left to pay off my own loan so i am debt free )
Im not too sure what i would be asking her friend to be signing up for, what would she lose and under what reason if things went pair shapped
Old Nov 9th 2017, 3:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear your news. Perhaps now is the time for you to find that second job and start saving money to meet the guidelines. If you were to marry and then return to the UK to live and work while the petitions were going through the rounds and interview at the US Embassy in London the assets needed would be 3 times the amount needed. It is 5 times that amount if you were doing this in the US.

She is not divorced so you can't do anything at this time so work your butt off and save your money for the future. You would have had to wait regardless as she is not free to remarry as she is married to someone else.

PS I see you are not ready to remarry either as you are still married to someone else as well.

Last edited by Rete; Nov 9th 2017 at 3:32 pm. Reason: Amended
Old Nov 9th 2017, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Also, if her ex starts paying child maintenance which he saidhe is going to start doing would this help her funding over the next year? ( we are both not devorced yet so have some time to get things looking better ) we both have no assets asshe has just started renting a house etc and im living with mummy at the moment ( at 36yo i know its sad and its driving me nuts but thats what ive had to do due to my devorce, im debt free though 😊 )
Old Nov 9th 2017, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

So am i correct is saying that if she earns $20,000, i would need to get $45,000 in cash to make the difference?
Old Nov 9th 2017, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
The assets required are 3 times the poverty level if your sponsor is a US citizen.

(does not help much in your case, sorry)
Can you combined salery with assets?her $20,000 salery plus if i get $45,000 is that correct?
Old Nov 9th 2017, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davethegoat
Can you combined salery with assets?her $20,000 salery plus if i get $45,000 is that correct?
Yes you can. You will need assets of 3 x the difference between the I-864P amount and the amount your sponsor earns.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rpjs
Yes you can. You will need assets of 3 x the difference between the I-864P amount and the amount your sponsor earns.
So if i get paid £30,000 to take redundency then this should nearly cover it, am i correct?
Old Nov 9th 2017, 4:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Dave, what do you do for a living? Are you readily employable once you get the US? Do you have a college education?
Old Nov 9th 2017, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Dave, what do you do for a living? Are you readily employable once you get the US? Do you have a college education?
Sadly not, i work as a team leader for vauxhall motors ( car plant ) i work with sheet metal and hydrolic presses. Nothing that a USC cant do.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 5:20 pm
Concierge

I don't recall where your intended resides. Is there an auto manufacturing plant near to her, i.e. Toyota in Mississippi? Can you work in an auto body shop with your experience. Since you don't have a degree and are a what I would call a light blue collar worker (not managerial but then again not a laborer), I'm trying to determine if you would be able to find gainful employment in the US in the area that she is residing at. I ask because as she has children and is in the process of divorcing, it is very likely that the family court will not allow her to move out of range of the children's father so that limits your ability to find the same type of employment as you currently have if there are not auto manufacturing plants nearby.

Note since you have alluded to your both having children, I'm assuming you won't be an a-h as well and will continue to pay child support if you are lucky enough to get a marriage based visa.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

If no income then you need $108K dollars (poverty level for 5 unit household is $28,780 x 125% = $35,975 x 3 = $107,925

So, if some income is earned, then, IF the formula is to take the shortfall and multiply it by 3 for assets, then that would be:

Income = 20K, Shortfall = 15,975; x 3 = $47,925 in assets.

(not sure that formula is correct where shortfall of income is used, as it comes out as a whole lot less needed to qualify than someone who has no income.)
Old Nov 9th 2017, 6:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
If no income then you need $108K dollars (poverty level for 5 unit household is $28,780 x 125% = $35,975 x 3 = $107,925

So, if some income is earned, then, IF the formula is to take the shortfall and multiply it by 3 for assets, then that would be:

Income = 20K, Shortfall = 15,975; x 3 = $47,925 in assets.

(not sure that formula is correct where shortfall of income is used, as it comes out as a whole lot less needed to qualify than someone who has no income.)
Maybe do it this way:

The income needed for a household of 5 is $35,975. The USC earns $20,000. So the shortfall in income is $15,975.

$15,975 x 3 (for asset amount) = $47,925. The OP would need $47,925 USD in assets to make up for the lack of USC income.

Your math was right, but maybe this explanation is a bit more clear.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.