Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Long term plan regarding moving to the USA

Long term plan regarding moving to the USA

Old Sep 7th 2017, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long term plan regarding moving to the USA

This is what the State Department website says:

All documents not written in English, or in the official language of the country in which you are applying for a visa, must be accompanied by certified translations. The translation must include a statement signed by the translator stating that:

- The translation is accurate, and
- The translator is competent to translate.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 4:13 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dodgexander
I received my police certificate (2 actually :/) from the Netherlands ministry of justice since I resided there previously for more than 6 months.
You are required to get a police certificate only if you lived there more than 12 months continuously!

Do I need to get this translated?
Yes - but you can do it yourself if you're competent.

If so, do you think I can contact them and ask them to send an English copy instead?
You can ask - but you may find it easier to simply pay someone to translate for you.

Ian
Old Sep 7th 2017, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

Dodgexander is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm, am I being stupid? This is written on the bottom. On the back is also job features and authenticity features.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 6:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, am I being stupid?
Oh dear... I'm not sure any of us are really qualified to make that determination!

This is written on the bottom. On the back is also job features and authenticity features.
The image is quite small and difficult to read. Can you post the image with a higher resolution?

Ian
Old Sep 7th 2017, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

Woops, I uploaded a resized image instead of a thumbnail!
Old Sep 7th 2017, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

Woops, I uploaded a resized image instead of a thumbnail!
Thanks! I feel confident that this will be acceptable as is.

Ian
Old Sep 7th 2017, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

Thanks a lot!
Old Feb 13th 2018, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

Yay our application finally got approved! After a long, long wait because of extortionate delays! I have a quick question for you lovely people regarding the affidavit of support (I-134) and the next stage (Interview, Medical etc)...if you would be so kind to answer!

Instructions state we should provide further proof of an ongoing relationship along with the completed I-134, new letters of ongoing intent and our income evidence. Does anyone know how much evidence we need to provide?

Would a few chat transcripts be enough or will it also be beneficial to include greeting cards...gift receipts etc that we already did in the first place?

I understand the need to show the relationship is still ongoing but wasn't sure how strict London are with this compared to other embassies, does anyone have any personal experience? What did you provide?

Thanks for the help
Old Feb 13th 2018, 11:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yay our application finally got approved! After a long, long wait because of extortionate delays! I have a quick question for you lovely people regarding the affidavit of support (I-134) and the next stage (Interview, Medical etc)...if you would be so kind to answer!

Instructions state we should provide further proof of an ongoing relationship along with the completed I-134, new letters of ongoing intent and our income evidence. Does anyone know how much evidence we need to provide?

Would a few chat transcripts be enough or will it also be beneficial to include greeting cards...gift receipts etc that we already did in the first place?

I understand the need to show the relationship is still ongoing but wasn't sure how strict London are with this compared to other embassies, does anyone have any personal experience? What did you provide?

Thanks for the help
London is not all that picky. Just provide something to show you've been keeping in touch and/or visiting each other since the I-129F was filed.

You should also bring updated Letters of Intent (the ones that say you intend to marry within 90 days).

Rene
Old Feb 13th 2018, 11:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the help. ....
A section of this and that will suffice, some different things, airline tickets and recent pictures of you together, some emails or texts, but don't print 6 months of Facebook Messenger txts!

In truth London doesn't seem very fussy - afterall, it's not like you're fleeing, as President Trump may, or may not, have said "a $4!t401ë". In other words, USCIS are a whole lot more suspicious if someone is leaving a country that is dirt-poor.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 13th 2018 at 11:54 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2018, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
A section of this and that will suffice, some different things, airline tickets and recent pictures of you together, some emails or texts, but don't print 6 months of Facebook Messenger txts!

In truth London doesn't seem very fussy - afterall, it's not like you're fleeing, as President Trump may, or may not, have said "a $4!t401ë". In other words, USCIS are a whole lot more suspicious if someone is leaving a country that is dirt-poor.
Exactly. They didn't ask me for anything.

However, I still took updated letters of intent to marry and boarding passes / photos from a USA trip I did between filing and the interview.

If that isn't possible then maybe some screenshots showing wedding discussions, maybe emails with a potential venue, so on...
Old Oct 9th 2018, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

In a right pickle now. Had my interview last Tuesday and they approved me based on providing an updated police certificate as mine was out of date.

I quickly applied and received expidted police certificate and dropped it off at DX Crawley on Thursday. Two days after the interview.

Online tracking number via email said ahead of time it was collected on the 2nd October (not sure why it says collected (rather than delivered?) ahead of time when I dropped it off to be sent to embassy a few days before?!?!). I have since not heard anything back from the embassy.

When I asked the officer at my interview how long it would take after they received my certificate and they said a week to send back my documents and visa and passport.

But my medical expires on the 16th and they said I need to enter the USA before then!!

So I'm panicking right now, what do I do if my medical expires?

How will I know that my police certificate and visa documents/passport are ready to pick up?

I've contacted the embassy and they just give generic responses and say they don't know when my documents will be sent.

I don't even know if they received my certificate?

More concerning is the online tracker for my case still shows "no status".

Does anyone have any advice?
Old Oct 9th 2018, 3:41 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

1. If your medical expires, you do another one.
2. You probably won't know when they are "ready to pick up" by the embassy.
3. The embassy is giving you the correct answer... They don't know.
4. Did you send the certificate via a trackable method?
5. The online case status tracker is unreliable anyway.
6. You might not know anything until you get notice from the courier returning your passport/ visa.
7. My advice? Chill out and don't stress over it.

Rene
Old Oct 9th 2018, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
1. If your medical expires, you do another one.
2. You probably won't know when they are "ready to pick up" by the embassy.
3. The embassy is giving you the correct answer... They don't know.
4. Did you send the certificate via a trackable method?
5. The online case status tracker is unreliable anyway.
6. You might not know anything until you get notice from the courier returning your passport/ visa.
7. My advice? Chill out and don't stress over it.

Rene
Thanks Rene. I'm trying not to stress!

The reason my medical expires is because I had horrendous complications with it. I had to visit Knightsbridge doctors in London twice. The first time I didn't hear anything back from them for a couple of months and I thought they had passed my application on when they didn't. I then contacted them when I thought something was wrong and they then addressed it by saying that I needed to return again. Admitably part of that was down to myself for not answering questions correctly but I find it unfair that I now face having to pay again for another medical when they didn't let me know to begin with that there was a problem. Now I'm in a really tight situation and may not be able to afford a lady minute flight.

​​​​​​Do you think there's a chance I won't have to pay again given the circumstances?

As for how I sent my police certificate. I travelled to the local DX depot in Crawley and had a tracking number given to me for dropping it off. When I got home the tracking number showed online that it was collected ahead of time on the second of October and now it says it's been collected.. But that confuses me surely it should say delivered?

Anyway, so basically I just have to wait for DX to email me too say my documents are ready to collect? Is this different to my tracking number I received for sending my police certificate?

​​​​​I won't hear at all now from the embassy?

Thanks for your kindness, Rene.
Old Oct 9th 2018, 5:33 pm

You probably won't hear from the embassy, no. You should hear from the courier who will be delivering your passport and visa once it's all approved.

The only reason I can think of that you might hear from the embassy is if your medical had expired and they direct you to get a new one.

Regarding payment for the medical, you'd have to ask Knightsbridge about that. But it's normal for medicals to expire after 1 year, so I would be prepared to pay again.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.