Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Long term plan regarding moving to the USA

Long term plan regarding moving to the USA

Old Dec 23rd 2016, 4:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long term plan regarding moving to the USA

The only reason my fiance and I chose the K1 visa is that on my trip to Turkey to see him, I wasn't prepared (paperwork-wise) to get married there, and couldnt afford another trip to see him....and he (being Iranian) couldn't get a visa to visit me in the USA. So the only way to start his immigration ASAP was to do the K1 visa.

Rene
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 6:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

We chose the K-1 back in 1998 because the US Consulate in Montreal had stopped doing direct consular filing so we decided to go the K-1 route because hubby was given the EAD at the border when crossing and activating the K-1.

Also K-1s from Canada were only taking 2-3 months start to finish back then. We applied on March 23 and had his visa in hand by the first week of June. We then planned a lovely wedding for 50 people in September of that year.
Old Jun 7th 2017, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

Dodgexander is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, just to update my fiance and I have decided to get married and go the k1 route. We're in the process of getting everything together to apply. Does anyone know if any current medical bill debt will go against her ability to sponsor me? She earns above the required poverty guidelines.
Old Jun 7th 2017, 10:17 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dodgexander
Does anyone know if any current medical bill debt will go against her ability to sponsor me?
It will not. US immigration has no interest in her debts.

She earns above the required poverty guidelines.
This is really all that will matter.

Ian
Old Jun 7th 2017, 10:29 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Well, just to update my fiance and I have decided to get married and go the k1 route. We're in the process of getting everything together to apply. Does anyone know if any current medical bill debt will go against her ability to sponsor me? She earns above the required poverty guidelines.
I think what you mean is that you will go the K-1 route and get married once you have the visa -- it sounded a little back to front the way you put it! Congratulations!
Old Jun 7th 2017, 11:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

London allows a K1 to self sponsor anyway, the I 1134 is not enforceable, I 864 is the biggie.
Old Jun 7th 2017, 11:47 pm
Just Joined

Thanks! We're filling in the forms now. We tried to call the uscis for help with the i129f and her employment history but they had closed we can't find exact dates for her last 5 years employment history, is it fine to provide the best we can think without being 100% accurate with dates? We know approx dates for most but not all.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 12:06 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

We tried to call the uscis for help...
Do not ever call USCIS for help. They are not there to help you. Any information they give you could be completely wrong, and when things go belly up there is absolutely no recourse if you follow their bad advice!

... is it fine to provide the best we can think without being 100% accurate with dates?
Yes.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Jun 8th 2017 at 1:02 am.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 12:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The good old misinformation line loved by all.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 2:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... we can't find exact dates for her last 5 years employment history, is it fine to provide the best we can think without being 100% accurate with dates? We know approx dates for most but not all.
If she was paid directly into a bank, or deposited her pay checks into a bank, then her bank statements should prompt her memory on the timings of changes of job, and banks usually keep statements available on-line for five years or more.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

You guys are very kind! Could you believe we ran out of ink so couldn't get it finished yesterday, hopefully we can tonight and tomorrow she wants to post it!

She did have a look at her bank but she changed banks when she moved before and no longer has that account, plus she could only go back a year with her bank online.

I think we have a good case to put forward with everything now. I really hope we don't get requested for more info but we have been through checklist after checklist and whilst not supplying a plethora of information like some people seem to, we have a varying amount of solid evidence mainly that we have met twice, but also proof of ongoing relationship.

I guess it will soon be the waiting game, but it will be relief to get this part over...a long way to go yet though. Next stage is my doctors appointment where I need to ask about vaccinations.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 8:18 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You guys are very kind! Could you believe we ran out of ink so couldn't get it finished yesterday, hopefully we can tonight and tomorrow she wants to post it!

She did have a look at her bank but she changed banks when she moved before and no longer has that account, plus she could only go back a year with her bank online.

I think we have a good case to put forward with everything now. I really hope we don't get requested for more info but we have been through checklist after checklist and whilst not supplying a plethora of information like some people seem to, we have a varying amount of solid evidence mainly that we have met twice, but also proof of ongoing relationship.

I guess it will soon be the waiting game, but it will be relief to get this part over...a long way to go yet though. Next stage is my doctors appointment where I need to ask about vaccinations.
Be aware that the next stage of the actual medical exam isn't until many months in the future...after the I-129F approval.

If you're just talking about your own personal doctor, to get vaccinations, that's ok to do now.

Rene
Old Jun 10th 2017, 11:49 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!!
Old Sep 7th 2017, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Just a little question I hope someone doesn't mind answering;

I received my police certificate (2 actually :/) from the Netherlands ministry of justice since I resided there previously for more than 6 months.

Annoyingly the certificate is in Dutch, even though when applying I stated it is for the purpose of emigrating to the USA (it even states this in dutch on the certificate)!

Do I need to get this translated?

If so, do you think I can contact them and ask them to send an English copy instead?

I had a look on the London embassy website but it doesn't say anything about translation, should I contact them directly and ask?

Thanks!
Old Sep 7th 2017, 2:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Just a little question I hope someone doesn't mind answering;

I received my police certificate (2 actually :/) from the Netherlands ministry of justice since I resided there previously for more than 6 months.

Annoyingly the certificate is in Dutch, even though when applying I stated it is for the purpose of emigrating to the USA (it even states this in dutch on the certificate)!

Do I need to get this translated?

If so, do you think I can contact them and ask them to send an English copy instead?

I had a look on the London embassy website but it doesn't say anything about translation, should I contact them directly and ask? .....
I think you will need to obtain a translation, either from the issuing authority or from a competent translator.

Do not call the embassy, they are worse than useless, literally! - You are not able to rely on any "advice" they give, so even calling is pointless.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.