Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

How long it takes for I-751 to be approved in New York?

How long it takes for I-751 to be approved in New York?

Old Dec 27th 2008, 3:09 am
j25
Just Joined

j25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long it takes for I-751 to be approved in New York?

What is the average waiting time in New York for I-751 (petition to remove conditions on residence) to be approved?

What happens once petition is approved: are they sending approval letter or 10-year green card straight away?

How long does it take for 10-year green card to be mailed?
Old Dec 27th 2008, 1:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long it takes for I-751 to be approved in New York?

Originally Posted by j25
What is the average waiting time in New York for I-751 (petition to remove conditions on residence) to be approved?
The I-751 is a very low priority application, since your status does not change at all while the application is in process. That said, it usually takes 10-12 months or longer to process... and most are approved without an interview. If you want to become a US citizen, you can file an N-400 application whenever you are eligible. Your I-751 does *not* need to be adjudicated before you file the N-400... in fact, filing the N-400 usually speeds up processing of the I-751.

What happens once petition is approved: are they sending approval letter or 10-year green card straight away?
Once approved, you will receive your 10-yr GC in the mail.

How long does it take for 10-year green card to be mailed?
Usually only a few weeks.

Ian
Old Dec 27th 2008, 3:44 pm
j25
Just Joined

j25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If you want to become a US citizen, you can file an N-400 application whenever you are eligible. Your I-751 does *not* need to be adjudicated before you file the N-400... in fact, filing the N-400 usually speeds up processing of the I-751.
Ian
Can you please explain how N-400 application speeds up processing of the I-751?
Old Dec 27th 2008, 4:15 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Since the N-400 is a high priority application, and the I-751 is low, putting n-400 in can 'speed up' I-751 because it must be dealt with before the N-400 can go forward.
If the I-751 is 'resting' somewhere, putting your N-400 in can 'wake up' the case as it is pulled out of whatever storage it has been in.

The trick to using this method is that you must want to (& be eligible to) naturalize to US citizenship.