Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

London Medical Examination Vaccinations

London Medical Examination Vaccinations

Old Nov 24th 2015, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

babypleasedontgo has a reputation beyond reputebabypleasedontgo has a reputation beyond reputebabypleasedontgo has a reputation beyond reputebabypleasedontgo has a reputation beyond reputebabypleasedontgo has a reputation beyond reputebabypleasedontgo has a reputation beyond reputebabypleasedontgo has a reputation beyond reputebabypleasedontgo has a reputation beyond reputebabypleasedontgo has a reputation beyond reputebabypleasedontgo has a reputation beyond reputebabypleasedontgo has a reputation beyond repute
Default London Medical Examination Vaccinations

According to the following I need the MMR and DTP.

http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Medical/LND%20-%20London

I'm 34 years old.

My doctor gave me my vaccination summary on a sheet of A4 which shows:

29/09/1981 Poliomyelitis Vaccine 1
29/08/1981 Diphtheria/Tetanus (DT) 1
30/10/1981 Poliomyelitis Vaccine 2
30/10/1981 Diphtheria/Tetanus (DT) 2
10/03/1982 Diptheria/Tetanus (DT) 3
10/03/1982 Poliomyelitis Vaccine 3
13/12/1985 Poliomyelitis Booster
13/12/1985 Diptheria/Tetanus (DT) Booster
16/08/1992 Measles
28/02/1995 Measles
28/02/1995 Rubella
14/03/1996 BCG
14/08/1996 Poliomyelitis Booster
14/08/1996 Diptheria LD/Tetanus Booster

Am I up to date or am I required to have them in the last 10 years or in some other time frame? My doctor said I had the routine course.

The only one I haven't had is the mumps shot however my mother says I had mumps as a child so it was said that I didn't need the vaccine as no point as I'd built up my own immunity to it. I can get blood work done at my doctors which will show that I've had mumps.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 10:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London Medical Examination Vaccinations

I think you are just missing mumps. (IANAD)

It's really not worth worrying about, at your medical they will tell you what you are missing and give it to you (for a fee, which is small compared to the overall cost of the visa).
Old Nov 24th 2015, 10:54 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babypleasedontgo
According to the following I need the MMR and DTP.
Then get them.

The only one I haven't had is the mumps shot however my mother says I had mumps as a child so it was said that I didn't need the vaccine as no point as I'd built up my own immunity to it.
Many diseases that had previously been all but eliminated in the US are making a comeback. Whooping cough is one of them, so make sure you get the DTaP. As for the MMR... what's another shot?

Ian
Old Nov 25th 2015, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

I had my medical in September, I did not have any records at all, I received the MMR and Tetanus at the medical, I was out of the Flu season, so that was not required,

I need to get an MMR booster here in the US

The only advice I would give you is get the shots done at your docs to save money, it was £40 a shot plus the £250 for the medical, a nice total of £330
Old Nov 27th 2015, 2:04 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dj6372
I had my medical in September, I did not have any records at all, I received the MMR and Tetanus at the medical, I was out of the Flu season, so that was not required,

I need to get an MMR booster here in the US

The only advice I would give you is get the shots done at your docs to save money, it was £40 a shot plus the £250 for the medical, a nice total of £330
I made an appointment with my GP early on in the process - any vaccine that was required for which I did not have a record of having I just got again for free. I didn't want to risk them charging me an arm and a leg at the private docs.
Old Nov 27th 2015, 2:39 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by username.exe
I made an appointment with my GP early on in the process - any vaccine that was required for which I did not have a record of having I just got again for free. I didn't want to risk them charging me an arm and a leg at the private docs.
Anyone who thinks the fees for vaccines at their immigration medical cost "an arm and a leg" is going to have a rude awakening when they first visit a doctor in the US.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

sparkleandglitter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by username.exe
check the fees with your own GP surgery - the nurse at my GPs said that the amounts that Knightsbridge charged were cheaper than what she'd have to charge me for certain ones (i.e. if it was technically a vaccine required for travel, not a standard booster)
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

DottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Anyone who thinks the fees for vaccines at their immigration medical cost "an arm and a leg" is going to have a rude awakening when they first visit a doctor in the US.
Could't agree more!
Old Jan 19th 2016, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

carlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for posting this, I'd been looking at the US guidance and the list was much longer (I'd end up like a porcupine if I had them all done!)

The NHS recommends you have the MMR so the Nurse at my practise has booked that in for me free. Looks like I'm up to date with the rest.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

OP, I needed a tetanus booster as I last got one in 2000 and the requirements are you have had to had one in the last 7 years. As Ian says make sure it's DTaP. Also, I HAD been given the MMR vaccine, but apparently it was slightly different to what is now given so they gave me another one while I was there, both free as others have said.

The only one I haven't had is a Flu Shot, but you can't get that here unless you are in an 'At risk' category. If I need it at the medical I will get it, but I'm hoping they won't need me to do it.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

I was short of all the required jabs and visited the local health centre, here in the US, for some of them (my doctor's surgery was happy to provide the immunisation list for free but wanted to charge for all jabs and refused point blank to give me a Tetanus jab as I'd had five already)

I had a few of the jabs in the US and a few at a private clinic in the UK - prices were competitive between the two but the Polish doctor in the UK seemed less well informed than her US counterpart, bizarrely enough another Pole. Both were cheaper than the listed prices at the Knightsbridge Doctors.

I did consider bloodwork for mumps (as I'd also had it as a kid) but the cost was far in excess of the jab price.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by zzrmark
.... refused point blank to give me a Tetanus jab as I'd had five already. ....
I'd heard there is a risk to having too many. I believe I had one as a child, and I've had three as an adult, so I am probably close to done with tetanus jabs.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

I'd heard there is a risk to having too many. I believe I had one as a child, and I've had three as an adult, so I am probably close to done with tetanus jabs.
The private UK clinic had no issues with giving me a Tetanus jab, the Knightsbridge doctor who examined me said it was excessive and unnecessary in his opinion to have had another shot - but I hadn't had one for over 10 years and US rules are 'US rules'.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. The nurse told me when I had my booster last week that you should have no more then 5 in your lifetime.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

You can get the pertussis booster by itself if you are worried about having too many tetanus boosters.

Pertussis (whooping cough) is now endemic in many areas of the US. Well worth getting an adult booster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.