Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

London Interview experience today.

London Interview experience today.

Old Oct 20th 2017, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

leema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default London Interview experience today.

I had my appointment today in London. It was straightforward, mostly painless and took 37 minutes in total.

I arrived early to check in at the outside stall. There was nobody else there. My appointment was for 12 noon so I recommend this time to others.

Once in the building, the friendly guy at the front desk ticks your name on his list and gives you the stickers with your number on it. You need to wait at the seated area to be called and as others have said there is a big screen with the numbers displayed. I was there around 5 minutes before my number was called. I'd say there were 6 other people in the whole waiting area at that time.

I went to the window assigned to me and spoke with a very relaxed and friendly man. He took my passport and the form that shows your DS-260 has been submitted, asked me to go to the next booth to pay, and come right back to him. He asked for each document he needed in order (both original and copy) and put them together with various stickers and staples on them. I was sent back to the waiting area to be called by the officer who would be doing the 'interview'.

Again, I waited only 5 minutes or so until my number appeared again. As it happens, I had to go to the same window as before. This experience was a little different. The officer, although not impolite in any way, was pretty serious and didn't return my smile. I didn't feel all that relaxed with him when I was raising my hand and promising to tell the truth.

He had my file in front of him and went through the documents again and asked various questions. He spent a bit of time looking at my birth certificate and asking about it. I grew up in foster care and had changed my name by deed poll when I was 18. He found it unusual that I was able to get a birth certificate with my 'new' name on it. I don't think he could see my previous name on it. I had the required certified deed poll certificate with me to give them.

He asked some more questions about why we were moving to the US and what we planned to do when we got there. He asked me when I had my medical as the results were not at the embassy yet. I expected this as I only had my medical on Monday but I couldn't stay in London any longer.

That was pretty much the whole process. He said everything was fine but he can't approve the actual visa until the medical results reach the embassy and sent me on my way with the blue 221(g) document with the medical results section ticked.

I left the embassy at 1237.

Edited to add: I had a J1 exchange visa in 2014 which was subject to the 2 year home rule. I have been patiently collecting proof and salary slips to show that I had fulfilled my 2 years at the beginning of October. He only asked if I'd had any other visas and when it was. He didn't ask if I'd fulfilled the 2 years or for any proof that I had done so. I left with my 24 salary slips still in their polypocket.

Last edited by leema5; Oct 20th 2017 at 3:30 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 4:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London Interview experience today.

Thanks for the write-up, Lee. Sounds like it was a standard interview. Sorry that the medical had yet to reach them but it will be early next week and look forward to reading that you received notification that the visa has been issued and is on its way to you.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

AndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad the interview was straightforward and VERY quick. What documents did they take originals and photo copies? What kind of visa were you going for and what was the cost?

Thanks
Old Oct 20th 2017, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

ItsHappening is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope you get your visa quickly and can move. Good luck leema5!
Old Oct 20th 2017, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Fingers crossed for quick receipt of your medical results, and that your visa will be in hand without further delay! Thank you so much for the detailed write-up.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

leema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyMan74
Glad the interview was straightforward and VERY quick. What documents did they take originals and photo copies? What kind of visa were you going for and what was the cost?

Thanks
They took my birth certificate, marriage certificate, UK police certificate, overseas police check, 2 photos, affidavit of support, other half's tax return for 2016, bank statement showing our savings and proof of name change by deed poll. I think that's it.

We have been married less than 2 years so it's for a CR-1 visa. The fee was $325 which amounted to £256 today.
Old Oct 21st 2017, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

AndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leema5
They took my birth certificate, marriage certificate, UK police certificate, overseas police check, 2 photos, affidavit of support, other half's tax return for 2016, bank statement showing our savings and proof of name change by deed poll. I think that's it.

We have been married less than 2 years so it's for a CR-1 visa. The fee was $325 which amounted to £256 today.
Sounds like you just missed having your medical arrive at the embassy by a cats whisker but i'm sure it will all come together. Thanks for the info.
Old Oct 21st 2017, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Can anyone clarify that they will send my chest x-ray disc along with my passport?
Old Oct 21st 2017, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Can anyone clarify that they will send my chest x-ray disc along with my passport?
As I understand it you should get a brown envelope along with your passport that contains various immigration documents and your chest x-ray. DO NOT OPEN THE BROWN ENVELOPE as this is handed in at your POE.
Old Oct 21st 2017, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AndyMan74
As I understand it you should get a brown envelope along with your passport that contains various immigration documents and your chest x-ray. DO NOT OPEN THE BROWN ENVELOPE as this is handed in at your POE.
The chest x-ray is normally handed back to you at the interview I thought. Maybe there is also one in the envelope. Will know soon enough I guess :-p
Old Oct 21st 2017, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

16BIT has much to be proud of16BIT has much to be proud of16BIT has much to be proud of16BIT has much to be proud of16BIT has much to be proud of16BIT has much to be proud of16BIT has much to be proud of16BIT has much to be proud of16BIT has much to be proud of16BIT has much to be proud of16BIT has much to be proud of

Probably saw you there leema5. I was there yesterday with my appointment at 12. Was quicker then I expected and barely anyone there - although when I got out there was a queue developing outside. Literally went the majority of how you have described, however the officer I got was friendly and only asked what our (me and my wife) intentions were, why we were going to the US and where we would be living.

Last edited by 16BIT; Oct 21st 2017 at 11:23 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

My CEAC file has been updated today but it still says administrative processing. I haven’t been called or emailed by Knightsbridge and the only tick on the 221g was for medical results.

I assume that perhaps my medical results have arrived at the embassy and that my passport has been taken from my file to have the visa added. Hopefully :-)

Last edited by leema5; Oct 24th 2017 at 10:29 am.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

My CEAC file as been updated today but it still says administrative processing. I haven’t been called or emailed by Knightsbridge and the only tick on the 221g was for medical results.

I assume that perhaps my medical results have arrived at the embassy and that my passport has been taken from my file to have the visa added. Hopefully :-)
Your case and my Wife’s are similar. My wife attended her Interview yesterday morning and knocked it out the park BUT her medical was not at the embassy yet (allow up to 5 days). While my wife was in the embassy I rang Knightsbridge and they said they had sent it out but had only posted it on the 20th(posted over weekend and Embassy closed Saturday/Sunday) which was annoying to say the least as they had plenty of time to have sent it sooner...GRRRRRR!!!

My wife’s CEAC status is administrative processing as well which just means when they get the medical they will send our documents out with any luck.

AndyMan

Last edited by AndyMan74; Oct 24th 2017 at 10:12 am.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

viitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond repute

You'll receive a white plastic envelope which has inside a large white paper envelope (which you do not open) and my passport was placed inside. It isn't a brown envelope anymore and you don't have to worry about tearing the envelope to get your passport off like I heard you could do before.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

viitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and you get your X Ray back at the interview - not in the envelope. I wouldn't panic as you do not need to hand this in on POE. It isn't required again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.