Reload this Page >

London DCF I-864 Proof of USA Income

London DCF I-864 Proof of USA Income

Old Aug 19th 2015, 9:29 am
Just Joined

RoodDood is an unknown quantity at this point
Default London DCF I-864 Proof of USA Income

Hi Everyone!

I (USC) have sponsored my wife (Non-USC) for an IR-1 visa with the London DCF service. We are still early into the process (waiting for I-130 to process), but I'm looking ahead to the I-864 to plan ahead.

My wife and I both have resided in the UK for several years now and have been gainfully employed here, but I've recently learned that our UK income won't count towards meeting 125% of the poverty line, since this income will not continue in the USA. We don't have enough assets to qualify on that alone, and my family members have been hesitant to sign on as joint sponsors due to the open-ended legal commitment it entails.

So I am considering returning to the USA in advance of my wife's interview to find work so that I can prove US-based income and sponsor her on the I-864. I am planning on providing letters from my future employers in the USA as well as pay slips, to estimate my expected annual income.

My questions are:

1. Do you think pay slips + employer letters will be sufficient evidence? (my previous tax returns will only show foreign income)

2. How many months of pay slips should I be providing realistically? (ie. is one-two pay periods sufficient or should I go for a couple months?)

3. Do they factor in the exact nature of my job? I will be potentially working anywhere I can start quickly (ie. Starbucks, Walmart, etc.) but am assuming I should avoid places like temp agencies or restaurants, where income could fluctuate based on tips or work availability.

Any advice in these areas from people who have been in similar situations? I'm really hoping to minimise the separation time for us but still provide enough evidence for a strong affidavit of support. Thanks in advance for your advice and time!
Old Aug 19th 2015, 12:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London DCF I-864 Proof of USA Income

1. Yes. Plus 3 years of US tax returns.

2. No set number. .. the more the better.

3. No. As long as you earn the right amount, doesn't matter what the job is.

Rene
Old Aug 19th 2015, 1:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London DCF I-864 Proof of USA Income

Originally Posted by RoodDood
... my family members have been hesitant to sign on as joint sponsors due to the open-ended legal commitment it entails.
What? The agreement isn't open-ended. There are definite start/end dates and 5 absolutely certain ways that the joint sponsor can be released of their financial obligation. Keep in mind, that if your spouse uses means-tested benefits, the US government will come to you first as the USC sponsor, and to the joint sponsor second for any repayment. While I'm thinking about it, the joint sponsor doesn't need to be a family member! It can be anyone at all who meets the requirements: a USC or PR, living in the US, and 18 or older.

I will be potentially working anywhere I can start quickly (ie. Starbucks, Walmart, etc.)...
Keep in mind that a job at the federally mandated minimum wage ($7.25/hr for a 40 hr work week) will not meet the income requirement. It'll cover only about 76% of the requirement. You need at least $9.58/hr to meet the minimum financial requirement (on the assumption that you have no children).

Ian