Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K3 Daughter For Citizenship

K3 Daughter For Citizenship

Old Jul 11th 2006, 12:25 am
Just Joined

maris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K3 Daughter For Citizenship

I came to the US on a K4 with my daughter (K3) included (she was only 15 then).

We're waiting for our greencard (1-751 has been approved) and I am eligible to apply for US citizenship next year.

My question is, does my daughter who will be 19 yrs old, have to apply for citizenship seperately? or can she already apply for a US Passport after I take my oath. Does she become a citizen automatically when I do?

Presently, she is a full time college student and is living with me.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 1:31 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K3 Daughter For Citizenship

You mean you came on a K-3 and your daughter on a K-4. She will not become a USC when you do as she is over the age of 18. She must wait until she has been a PR for 5 years less 90 days to be eligible to apply for naturalization on her own.

Originally Posted by maris
I came to the US on a K4 with my daughter (K3) included (she was only 15 then).

We're waiting for our greencard (1-751 has been approved) and I am eligible to apply for US citizenship next year.

My question is, does my daughter who will be 19 yrs old, have to apply for citizenship seperately? or can she already apply for a US Passport after I take my oath. Does she become a citizen automatically when I do?

Presently, she is a full time college student and is living with me.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 3:09 am
Just Joined

maris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: K3 Daughter For Citizenship

Originally Posted by Rete
You mean you came on a K-3 and your daughter on a K-4. She will not become a USC when you do as she is over the age of 18. She must wait until she has been a PR for 5 years less 90 days to be eligible to apply for naturalization on her own.
Thanks for replying, Rete..