Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

k1 visa, ways my fiancee can stay in UK whilst it processes?

k1 visa, ways my fiancee can stay in UK whilst it processes?

Old Mar 8th 2017, 8:06 am
Just Joined

rachief2016 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default k1 visa, ways my fiancee can stay in UK whilst it processes?

Hey!!

So I got engaged in December after 2 years ! He had been in England from June to November, then we spent 2 months in the US before coming back to England so I could start my new job (He can travel because he's doing online school, he was in the military beforehand so gets grants/ bursaries through them) Plus with my job i am able to support us both.

Anyway we are now applying for k1 visa... Does anyone know how long this usually takes? We are sending off the application today! We are planning on getting married in December then planning to do the 1485 visa so I can remain?

It says online that he must be able to show he can support us? He has around 7k in his account and like I said he gets bursaries/ loans etc, But I am planning on working once I move there, I am in the process of applying to take the NCLEX exam so have a profession once I arrive. His parents also have well earned jobs, would they be able to be additional sponsors?

My other question is he has been in England since June 2016 to November 2016, then January to June he has his passport stamped. We were then planning on doing an extended trip in Europe for 6 weeks exploring because I'm aware that you cant leave the US for 2 years when on marriage visa. Do you think he will have problems getting in the UK? By that time we should have the k1 visa processing? We will hopefully have a wedding booked and a cruise booked to get us to the US (Were moving my dog and don't want him to fly).

I'm sorry this is all so messy, but would appreciate to hear everyones stories and tips because I'm in panic anxious mode. He's from Tennessee and I am a British Citizen if that matters at all.

Thanks again, Rachel.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 12:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: k1 visa, ways my fiancee can stay in UK whilst it processes?

Originally Posted by rachief2016
Does anyone know how long this usually takes?
Usually 8-10 months.

We are planning on getting married in December then planning to do the 1485 visa so I can remain?
Assuming no delays, December will be cutting it close! The I-485 isn't a visa... it's the application you submit to adjust your status from K-1 beneficiary to US permanent resident - but yes, that's the correct form.

He has around 7k in his account and like I said he gets bursaries/ loans etc...
Take a look at form I-864P in the 125% column. That spells out what his income must be. Assets must be 3x that amount.

I am planning on working once I move there...
That'll be useful when it comes time to adjust your status after you're married... but it won't help at all for getting the visa.

His parents also have well earned jobs, would they be able to be additional sponsors?
One of them (but not both) could be a joint sponsor when it comes times to adjust your status. The terms "sponsor" and "joint sponsor" are not interchangeable.

I'm aware that you cant leave the US for 2 years when on marriage visa.
This is complete nonsense! Where on earth did you read that? It's totally not true.

Ian
Old Mar 8th 2017, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Are you saying that he spent June to November 2016 in the UK. Left for two months and then re-entered again with the intention of staying from Jan to June 2017?

I'm very surprised he got back in in January as he had already spent 6 months in the UK. Amazing the immigration official did not think he was trying to live in the UK on his visitor status.

..... and you are planning to leave for 6 weeks at end of the 6 month period and then re-enter the UK again until the K1 is approved.

Good luck.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 10:25 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

There's almost no chance of your fiance being permitted to come back into the UK as a visitor if he leaves in June for six weeks given he has spent the majority of the previous 12 months in the UK as a visitor. Six months maybe, but not six weeks.