K1 visa---slow?

Old Nov 29th 2005, 3:17 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 visa---slow?

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla

So, DO check the processing times about every other week to see what they are working on now. However, do NOT try to PROJECT future events.
That does presuppose that processing dates will be updated regularly. At present my Local Office is showing that they are working on cases from April 01, 2005. But that hasn't been updated since October 19, 2005. I received my interview letter yesterday. My case was sent in at the end of June.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 12:38 am
Banned

marasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the rough

What is IV and whats the difference btw IV and K3?

=================

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If it's for a spouse, the only choices are K-3 or IV visa. The K-3 used to be faster, but nowadays it seems the IV has sped up enough to not need the K-3. You never know, though, every case is different.

Rene
Old Nov 30th 2005, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

bionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by marasmus

=================
IV= Immigrant Visa
K = Non-immigrant visa
Old Nov 30th 2005, 1:26 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

=================
IV = Immigrant Visa aka CR-1 or IR-1 in the marriage-based context. When the bearer enters the US with it, they become a Permanent Resident at once, and their Green Card is mailed directly to them.

The K-3 is a 'shortcut' designed to let the foreign spouse come to the US to wait for the I-130 to be approved, so they can get an Immigrant Visa (I-130s used to take up to 3 years to get approved).
Or file to Adjust Status from within the US if they prefer.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

janadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond repute

For example Katikati - our fiancee visa process only took about 2 1/2 months from start to end.

Originally Posted by Bob
Not always, depends on the country...and some other countries require fiance visa's themselves...
Plus K3 isn't that much quicker either unless your lucky.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 12:41 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

=================
Hi:

IV = immigrant visa
NIV = non-immigrant visa

Section 101(a)(15) of the Immigration & Nationality Act defines "immigrant" as any alien except for following subparagraphs lettered (A) to (B). The various non-immigrant visas are coded to match the subparagraph numbers -- e.g. (B) covers visitors who get "B-1" and "B-2" visas.

101(a)(15)(K)(1) covers finances of US citizens and their "children" [quotations because "child" is a defined term at 101(b)]. The matching visas are the K-1 and K-2.

101(a)(15)(K)(2) covers spouses of US citizens while an Immigrant visa petition is pending [the I-130] and the beneficiary's children. The matching visas are K-3 and K-4.

Please note that under the law "immigrant" has a definition different than normal usage. Certain "non-immigrants" are really immigrating in the common usages, such as a "K" and a person who isn't coming at all is an "immigrant" and a lawful one at that! Consular sections will have two or three functions -- IV, NIV and ACS [American Citizen Services -- passports, voter registration and other assistance]. Although the "K" is legally a "non-immigrant" they are handled as if they are an "IV" because they do intend to immigrate.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 3:15 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

maramus,

Define the starting point.

Regards, JEff

generally speaking, which is faster to get one's spouse here?
Old Dec 1st 2005, 8:01 pm
Banned

marasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the rough

I guess the question is before marriage, is it faster to marry here (K1) or marry abroad (K3 or IV)?

Goal being to be physically with the spouse-to be in the shortest time possible.

===========================

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
maramus,

Define the starting point.

Regards, JEff
Old Dec 1st 2005, 9:23 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

marasmus,

How fast can you put an I-129f submission together?

And how long will it take you to get overseas, get married, and put I-130 and I-129f submissions together?

The difference between the two is an advantage to the K1.

Regards, JEff

I guess the question is before marriage, is it faster to marry here (K1) or marry abroad (K3 or IV)?

Goal being to be physically with the spouse-to be in the shortest time possible.

===========================
Old Dec 1st 2005, 10:34 pm
Mh

In article <[email protected]> ,
marasmus <member39761@british_expats.com> wrote:
    >> maramus,
    >> Define the starting point.
    >> Regards, JEff
    >I guess the question is before marriage, is it faster to marry here (K1)
    >or marry abroad (K3 or IV)?
    >Goal being to be physically with the spouse-to be in the shortest
    >time possible.

Depends - can you stand to be separated? Which would be more acceptable - to
be separated before marriage, or after?

If the answer is before, do a K-1 - once you get it, you won't be separated
again. If after, do K-3 - you can marry NOW, but spouse has to leave again...

If you can swing it (not common because most can't) least separation time
would be to:
-move to spouse's country for now and do K-1 processing
or
-marry, apply for K3, move to spouse's country until K-3 is done

Note: you might need someone to forward mail for you in these scenarios..

MH