Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K1 visa holder AoS & driving licence

K1 visa holder AoS & driving licence

Old Apr 23rd 2015, 12:09 am
Just Joined

@desertlife is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K1 visa holder AoS & driving licence

Hi! I am a K1 visa holder, I'm now married, I have applied for my AoS and received a receipt from USCIS. I have also taken and passed my US driving test and bought a truck.
My problem is, my license expires the same date my K1 visa does. The DMV in Nevada will not validate it passed the date stamped in my passport.
I doubt I'll have my green card in a month so I'm wondering how I can show the DMV I'm legal to be in the country and to validate my licence for the full 8/10 years.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 12:27 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 visa holder AoS & driving licence

Very common scenario. Same thing happened to my husband. You will show them your EAD when you get that in hand. That will be good for 1 year. Then you'll show your GC, good for 2 years. Then your 10 year GC.

It will mean many trips to DMV.

Interesting you say it's based on your K1 expiration date. It should be based on your I-94 expiration date. If they really used the K1 expiration date, just be grateful you got 3 extra months out of it.

Rene
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 12:37 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to add that it seems you will have a gap between the date your license expires, and the date you will receive your EAD. During that time, you either take your chances driving on an expired license, or you don't drive.

Rene
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 4:35 am
Just Joined

Hi guys! Yes it was i94 date not k1 sorry for the mix up. Now my EAD is being processed also I just hope it comes before my i94 expires , but judging by other comments I'm going to be waiting longer than the 7 weeks it will be since I sent my forms in till i94 expires.
Wonder if I can revert to using UK license ? Probably not.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

cheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to butt in on this thread but I also have a drivers licence related question.
I have been in usa for over 3 months now so my uk license is no longer valid to drive on, will I have to apply for a permit now or will they still accept my uk license at the DMV?

I have booked an appointment at the DMV for next Friday.
Thanks guys.

(Hope I have been clear enough here, I'm typing this on my phone and it's kinda late ha ha)

Last edited by cheradenine; Apr 23rd 2015 at 7:25 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 11:21 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

You pay your money, you take your chance. Some DMVs have accepted the license and issued a US one, some have required people to take both parts of the test again.

If you do need to take your test don't worry, it's a joke.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

I will say you do need to study the written part online and do some practice tests. It is easy though. $25 for written and driving test. If you fail driven it is $10 retake. Lol but not sure if failing is possible if you can drive
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

DottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond repute

From the US gov website it appears the UK license is good for one year so that should work for now:

"The U.S.A. has an agreement with most countries whereby the renter's full national driving license may be used for a period of up to one year in the U.S.A. This applies to the full U.K. driving license. Provisional licenses are not acceptable."
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 6:23 pm

That seems to apply to rental cars. Might be different for non-visitors in the USA.

Rene
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

cheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DottM
From the US gov website it appears the UK license is good for one year so that should work for now:

"The U.S.A. has an agreement with most countries whereby the renter's full national driving license may be used for a period of up to one year in the U.S.A. This applies to the full U.K. driving license. Provisional licenses are not acceptable."
Thanks for your help guys, I am hoping to go ahead and take the written test next Friday.

One other thing, if I bring my passport to the DMV with k1 visa (now expired) and I-94, will I have any issues about my current status?

Thanks for your help
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 6:53 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheradenine
One other thing, if I bring my passport to the DMV with k1 visa (now expired) and I-94, will I have any issues about my current status?
The DMV may insist on seeing documentation that you are in legal status in the US.

Ian
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The DMV may insist on seeing documentation that you are in legal status in the US.

Ian
Any idea what that could consist of?

What would happen if I cannot produce something they find satisfactory?

Thanks.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 7:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheradenine
Any idea what that could consist of?
Yes! A green card, an EAD, or an unexpired I-94. Proof of filing for AOS or receipt of your AOS package (or any part thereof) is not sufficient.

What would happen if I cannot produce something they find satisfactory?
Quite simply, they will not renew your license.

Ian
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes! A green card, an EAD, or an unexpired I-94. Proof of filing for AOS or receipt of your AOS package (or any part thereof) is not sufficient.

Quite simply, they will not renew your license.

Ian
I think you will say yes but I will ask anyway.
You said 'renew' what about actually taking the test and getting a California license?
Will they not allow me to?

Damn this a bit of a kick in the nads

Last edited by cheradenine; Apr 23rd 2015 at 7:18 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 7:44 pm

Different states are different. All you can do is go in with what you have, and give it a try. If they need to see something that you don't have, they won't give you a licence.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.