Reload this Page >

K1 AoS I-693 Medical Exam

K1 AoS I-693 Medical Exam

Old Jan 15th 2014, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

visa_Teaser is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K1 AoS I-693 Medical Exam

Hi Everyone,

I've been using this forum for my whole visa experience - it's been an absolutely vital source of information.

However, this will be my first post, and it's regarding the I693 which I'm sending off with my I495 adjustment of status.

To provide you with the all important background: I've had my Kinghtsbridge medical prior to the issue of my K1 (the medical took place in mid September 2013). All my vaccinations were up to date, and I have a signed "Vaccination Documentation Worksheet". I entered the USA on Dec 31st 2013, got married on Jan 2nd 2014 and have marriage certificates and all the other required documentation.

And here's where I need some advice: The I693 instructions, page 1 part 5 says a civil surgeon is required to fill out the I693 and put it in a sealed envelope. Part 5a says - if you're applying for an adjustment of status, then follow the instructions on I485.

OK (sorry this is a long one). So I485 Page 4 section 7 instructions say: for K1 who've had a medical examination in the past year, you only need to include the vaccination supplement.

But - in the FAQ section of the instructions of I693, page 5, it says I only need to submit the vaccination supplement along with page 1 of I693.

Now my query is, Page 1 of I693 has a section where I just add my details, and a section that needs to be signed by a civil surgeon. Do I still need a civil surgeon signature??? Can I just fill out my part of the I693 and include my signed Vaccination Documentation Worksheet that they gave me in Knightsbridge?

I've phoned around a number of local clinics, and none of them have understood that I just need a signature. They all want to charge for a full medial (around $200). I've argued the case with a number of people, but they're not budging. It seems like a waste of time effort and money, especially when the Knightsbridge one has been completed.

All help appreciated. Sorry it's a long one!!

Thanks,

Dave
Old Jan 15th 2014, 3:47 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 AoS I-693 Medical Exam

Originally Posted by visa_Teaser
HiDo I still need a civil surgeon signature??? Can I just fill out my part of the I693 and include my signed Vaccination Documentation Worksheet that they gave me in Knightsbridge?
This seems to be a kind of grey area. Some people turn in just the document they got from Knightsbridge and are fine. Some people turn that in and get an RFE saying they need the one signed by the civil surgeon.

I've phoned around a number of local clinics, and none of them have understood that I just need a signature. They all want to charge for a full medial (around $200). I've argued the case with a number of people, but they're not budging.
This is a very common problem. We finally just had to make the appointment (as if it were a full medical exam), go in person, and then convince the actual doctor (not the person answering the phone) that ALL we needed was a review of the vaccination worksheet and the doctor signature. Even the doctor was clueless, but after about 3 times explaining what we need, he finally did it. Still cost about $100 (here in Phoenix, in 2004), but we got it done.

Rene
Old Jan 15th 2014, 4:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
We finally just had to make the appointment (as if it were a full medical exam), go in person, and then convince the actual doctor (not the person answering the phone) that ALL we needed was a review of the vaccination worksheet and the doctor signature. Even the doctor was clueless, but after about 3 times explaining what we need, he finally did it.
I agree with Rene on this... this seems to be the best strategy. Make sure you take your passport (and K-1 visa), as well as the print outs that show you only need the vaccination supplement. Don't leave anything to chance!

Ian
Old Jan 15th 2014, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

visa_Teaser is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info.

From the people I spoke to on the phone, their general consensus was - why should they sign something that someone else has done. As in, they didn't want the liability. I could sort of understand their view point, even if it was infuriating that they didn't listen to the details of my situation.

I suppose going through this process, you end up with a detailed knowledge of the K1 system and forget that most people find bewildering.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 6:58 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by visa_Teaser
Thanks for the info.

From the people I spoke to on the phone, their general consensus was - why should they sign something that someone else has done. As in, they didn't want the liability. I could sort of understand their view point, even if it was infuriating that they didn't listen to the details of my situation.

I suppose going through this process, you end up with a detailed knowledge of the K1 system and forget that most people find bewildering.
Yes, the people on the phone are just the receptionst at the doctor's office, and know even less than the doctor does about these things. I suggest going in person and explain face to face directly to the doctor.

Rene