Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K-1 Interview Experience

K-1 Interview Experience

Old Apr 23rd 2018, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

Mike95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K-1 Interview Experience

This forum has been a huge help for past and future parts of the K-1 process so I thought I'd share my interview experience today.

Had an 11.30am appointment and got to the embassy at 11:15. No queue what so ever, got met at the door to the security pavilion by a lady who asked for my passport and copy of DS-160 which she signed and let me through with my calling number. A quick check through security and I was in. (When I left around 12 there was a queue of about 25 people so it seems earlier the better for appointments!)

I was directed to visa services and around to a small waiting room in the left corner which only had one other person. Couple minutes wait and I was called to the counter and I provided originals of a police check, 1x photo, birth certificate, courier info, passport. He went through a checklist and asked some very basic questions such as have I always lived in the UK etcetera. I was then asked if my fiance was my sponsor, I said no and said it was her mum. He asked what documents I had for it and I provided an I-134 and a photocopy of her W2 (didn't have the original). He took a few things and got me to sit down again.

After about 10 minutes I was called to another booth in the same section. I was asked some more questions such as where I was planning to live, when I planned to go, how we met, when did I first meet her in person etcetera. Really basic questions and I gave basics answers which satisfied the lady.

At this point she said I probably didn't have it but if I had a new intent to marry letter from my fiance as my petition expired. I said no as I didn't know it had expired! Apparently, it expired in February. She was really nice and had already planned me saying no and gave me a small slip with a email address. She said to get my fiance to send an email with a new intent to marry letter as a .pdf and it will get approved without any delay. As she continued filling out my paperwork I managed to get her to do it straight away and told her it was completed before leaving.

In and out in 20 minutes and took some great photos of a super nice looking embassy!. My POE will be Atlanta in a few weeks.

Last edited by Mike95; Apr 23rd 2018 at 11:25 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 1:33 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K-1 Interview Experience

Congratulations, Mike. Nice write up btw.

I'm sorry you didn't get our memo about the need to bring an updated letter of intent but glad you were able to get it worked out successfully.

Not long now and you will be here and getting married.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Thanks ! Yea that’s my fault for not confirming the expiration date, should of brought one anyway. Not looking forward to the next stages, they seem more complicated and costly !
Old Apr 24th 2018, 2:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike95
Thanks ! Yea that’s my fault for not confirming the expiration date, should of brought one anyway. Not looking forward to the next stages, they seem more complicated and costly !
Yes on the more costly. As for more complicated, no, not really. If you and the intended were smart you have exact copies of every piece of paper you have submitted to the USCIS and the US Embassy in your possession.

Just about everything that you need for the adjustment of status petition is already in your possession with the exception of your registered marriage certificate.

There are things you should do within 10 days of entering the US. The first is to go to the Social Security Administration office and apply for your social security card. Normally, within 10 days of entry your details have been entered into the SAVE system and the ss card will be sent to you via snail mail. If you are not on the SAVE system, then they will have to manually confirm your admission with USCIS and that can take weeks.

Check the state you will be living in for the rules on obtaining a state driver's license. Remember you are considered a resident the moment you start living in the US even if you don't have a green card. Depending on the state you won't be able to get a state driver's license until you have you employment document/card which you will apply for when you file to adjust status. You can continue to drive on your UK license.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 3:47 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Just about everything that you need for the adjustment of status petition is already in your possession with the exception of your registered marriage certificate.
A lot of the information will be repeated, but it will be all new forms.

Rene
Old Apr 24th 2018, 4:10 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Noorah101
A lot of the information will be repeated, but it will be all new forms.

Rene

That's exactly what I meant. Forgot that you really should spell out in minute detail what you are saying so there is not confusion. Posters frequently don't realize that if they have done the K-1, that the information generated for the USCIS and the Embassy are on the forms that they completed for that process and that the evidence, i.e. birth certificates, passport copies, divorce certificates, etc. have already been gathered and used. By making copies of submissions for the K-1, they have most of what they need for completing the AOS forms. It certainly simplifies things.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on getting your visa!
Old Apr 24th 2018, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Thats very true, thankfully I’ve kept all my documents in one folder for that purpose so hopefully I can complete my AOS package quickly after arriving in the US, want to get to work as soon as possible. I’m moving to Alabama and I should be able to bring my I’m license to the dmv and just do a written test but we’ll see. I’ve got a long list of stuff to do upon arrival that I’ve researched from these great forums!

Thanks Ben !

Last edited by Mike95; Apr 24th 2018 at 7:32 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 7:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats very true, thankfully I’ve kept all my documents in one folder for that purpose so hopefully I can complete my AOS package quickly after arriving in the US, want to get to work as soon as possible. I’m moving to Alabama and I should be able to bring my I’m license to the dmv and just do a written test but we’ll see. I’ve got a long list of stuff to do upon arrival that I’ve researched from these great forums!

Thanks Ben !
Working as soon as possible will be about 4 months after filing AOS, as that's how long it's taking the EAD to come through lately.

As for "bring my license to the DMV", are you referring to your UK license? DMV won't care about that.

Rene
Old Apr 24th 2018, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

I know, but don’t want to wait to the end of the 90 days and then another 4 months! Thankfully I’ve got some cash in hand work lined up with her family to fill the gap and keep me busy.

Yea, I read something about sometimes they want to trade it but it’s a good form of ID I thought nonetheless. I’m guessing I’ll have to wait to get a SSN after a couple weeks before going to the DMV, they like that more right ?
Old Apr 24th 2018, 8:09 pm

I would say the smart thing to do would be to wait 10 days, go apply for the SSN and then when that comes in (about 2 weeks), then go to DMV to begin the DL prices. Don't even bother showing them your UK license. The UK license isn't a good form of ID...your passport is.

As a K1 visa holder, you have the right to work during your first 90 days in the USA. After that you'll need an EAD. Also note that cash in hand income still needs to be reported on a US tax return.

Rene
Old Apr 24th 2018, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

I’ll keep all that in mind, thanks a lot !
Old Apr 24th 2018, 11:05 pm
Concierge

Thanks Ben !

I'm close by you ... we are only 1/2 hour from the Alabama border in Mississippi.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 11:08 pm
Concierge

I know, but don’t want to wait to the end of the 90 days and then another 4 months! Thankfully I’ve got some cash in hand work lined up with her family to fill the gap and keep me busy.
Working off the books is illegal and can get you deported. I don't care if it is with her family. A family friend, a co-worker or a neighbor could report you and you are gone. Be sure that they withhold taxes and social security, etc. from the wages they are paying you so it is not off the books but above board.

Yea, I read something about sometimes they want to trade it but it’s a good form of ID I thought nonetheless. I’m guessing I’ll have to wait to get a SSN after a couple weeks before going to the DMV, they like that more right ?
Did you read the DMV site for Alabama? Some states will only give you a license for the duration of visa. Your K-1 is only good for 90 days and if Alabama is one of those states, your license will expire when your 90 days on the K-1 are up.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

I know exactly what you’re saying and I am fully aware. It’s less dodgy then it sounds I promise! It’s more cutting grass for her grandad, clearing old wood etc. They live out in the sticks so it’s kind of expected of you anyway!

I’ve had a look around online, different places say different things, I know I’m definitely good on my UK license for a good while but nothing beats going down to the DMV once I have my SSN and just seeing what they say. I really like the south because of how friendly people are, especially when they hear the British accent haha.

Neat whereabouts? My fiancé is from a small town near Mobile, we cross into Mississippi sometimes to visit Biloxi, love that place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.