Reload this Page >

Journey to California via K-1

Journey to California via K-1

Old Feb 28th 2018, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

CaptainAmerica is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Journey to California via K-1

Originally Posted by Rete
It is amazing and disconcerting how the timelines change so quickly and so drastically. Back in spring of '98, we applied to VSC for the I-129F on March 23rd and had the K-1 in hand by June 5 through the Montreal US Consulate. And similarly to Ben, husband's adjustment took nearly 2 years even with filing it at the VSC initially.
Wow!! Presumably 9/11 changed everything since then, however even at the time was that a standard processing time? I can't imagine any visa being processed that fast anymore. I'm having to take my process in stages, as considering the long-term can get too overwhelming...
Old Feb 28th 2018, 4:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainAmerica
Wow!! Presumably 9/11 changed everything since then, however even at the time was that a standard processing time? I can't imagine any visa being processed that fast anymore. I'm having to take my process in stages, as considering the long-term can get too overwhelming...
Yes, unfortunately, it was standard back in 1998 through 2001 for AOS to take 12 to 24 months. Ian filed 3 months before us and waited longer than us for his AOS interview in Kentucky.

Timelines change constantly. It can be influenced by the number of files for one type of petition where officers need to be pulled from their normal work to help clear a back log in another department. And we aren't talking just one office but at one time VSC was so behind in approving N-400's that they sent more than half their case work to New York's district office in Manhattan. This meant that NYC petitions for every type of petition was even further delayed while they only worked on emergencies and N-400s.

But those of us who have been around for over 20 years have seen it all and are no longer surprised and no longer advise people to follow timelines projected by the USCIS or other users. They are nothing more than generalized guidelines.
Old Feb 28th 2018, 4:09 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainAmerica
San Bernardino changed things too.
Old Feb 28th 2018, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Yes, unfortunately, it was standard back in 1998 through 2001 for AOS to take 12 to 24 months. Ian filed 3 months before us and waited longer than us for his AOS interview in Kentucky.

Timelines change constantly. It can be influenced by the number of files for one type of petition where officers need to be pulled from their normal work to help clear a back log in another department. And we aren't talking just one office but at one time VSC was so behind in approving N-400's that they sent more than half their case work to New York's district office in Manhattan. This meant that NYC petitions for every type of petition was even further delayed while they only worked on emergencies and N-400s.

But those of us who have been around for over 20 years have seen it all and are no longer surprised and no longer advise people to follow timelines projected by the USCIS or other users. They are nothing more than generalized guidelines.
Best advice you'll read today!
Old Mar 1st 2018, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

BigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
Best advice you'll read today!
Thank god for that!