Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Journey to California via K-1

Journey to California via K-1

Old Aug 22nd 2017, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

CaptainAmerica is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Journey to California via K-1

As this forum has been so helpful to me so far, I thought it might be handy to post my own K-1 application as of Summer 2017 should anyone be interested in current timelines (knowing that it's still on a case by case basis).

11th August 2017 - Packet arrived at USCIS Texas
16th August 2017 - Cheque (check!) cleared
21st August 2017 - NOA1 Received (processing via California Service Center)

I am antsy to get on compiling the rest of my records but I know there'll be a fair few months yet to get those in order.
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 4:35 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Journey to California via K-1

Originally Posted by CaptainAmerica
I thought it might be handy to post my own K-1 application as of Summer 2017...
It's a good start! Well done.

Ian
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
It's a good start! Well done.

Ian

Thank you! I'm keen to get to the USA as soon as I'm physically able (I don't intend to slow anything down) so I'm curious when might be best to start asking for my medical records and police certificate. My main concern is the length of time it may take to get the medical records if I wait until my NOA2, so I'm still trying to work out if there's any expiry on the medical record (I'm aware the police certificate is better to get later). The amount of information available online is both helpful and overwhelming!
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 5:04 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still trying to work out if there's any expiry on the medical record (I'm aware the police certificate is better to get later).
For US immigration purposes, the police certificate is valid for 1 year. For medical purposes, however, the police certificate should be less than 6 months old when you attend the medical. You can't book the medical until you have the LND number, and you won't get an LND number until after the I-129F has been approved and it has been received by the US Consular Service in London and they've notified you that it's arrived. So... you've probably got about 5-6 months to go before you can even book the medical.

As for the medical records themselves, they're probably valid for a year - but I have no direct knowledge of that. Logistically, those records all reflect past history, and so the date you actually got them is largely irrelevant.

Ian
Old Aug 24th 2017, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
For US immigration purposes, the police certificate is valid for 1 year. For medical purposes, however, the police certificate should be less than 6 months old when you attend the medical. You can't book the medical until you have the LND number, and you won't get an LND number until after the I-129F has been approved and it has been received by the US Consular Service in London and they've notified you that it's arrived. So... you've probably got about 5-6 months to go before you can even book the medical.

As for the medical records themselves, they're probably valid for a year - but I have no direct knowledge of that. Logistically, those records all reflect past history, and so the date you actually got them is largely irrelevant.

Ian
Thanks again, this is all really very helpful. I'm paranoid of making one stupid mistake that then prolongs the process even further!
Old Feb 21st 2018, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

For anyone reading this forum interested in current K-1 processing timelines, it's taken me 6 months to reach NOA2:

11th August 2017 - Packet arrived at USCIS Texas
16th August 2017 - Cheque (check!) cleared
21st August 2017 - NOA1 Received (processing via California Service Center)
13th February 2018 - NOA2 Received

Now I'm just waiting for my NVC number so I can get going with the rest of it. I've had plenty of time to prepare but anxiety still niggles me. I expect that's normal for many of us through this process.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey, my K1 was done from start to finish in about 4 months!

Use this time to prepare all your documentation and get everything in order and I'm sure you'll have nothing to be nervous about.

Good luck
Old Feb 21st 2018, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

....I've had plenty of time to prepare but anxiety still niggles me. I expect that's normal for many of us through this process.
Definitely. The interview is a huge moment in life. However, you gotta believe us when we say it's a formality and as long as your application is run of the mill you'll be absolutely fine.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Isthisyourball is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are interested it now picks up pace. My timeline is

NOA1: July 5th 2017
NOA2: January 20th 2018
NVC sent to Embassy: February 2nd
Notification from Embassy: February 9th
Medical: February 12th
Interview: March 5
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BenK91
Blimey, my K1 was done from start to finish in about 4 months!

Use this time to prepare all your documentation and get everything in order and I'm sure you'll have nothing to be nervous about.

Good luck
Thank you, and you were amazingly fortunate?!

When we submitted our petition in August, we were at least 4 months to NOA2 based on the current average. It seems CSC had a major slow down processing May, June and July's petitions which caused significant delays - and I suspect 6 months to NOA2 may be the new normal for a while.

Had I known it would take this much longer I may have more strongly considered the CR-1 instead, but hindsight is always 20:20.
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tom169
Definitely. The interview is a huge moment in life. However, you gotta believe us when we say it's a formality and as long as your application is run of the mill you'll be absolutely fine.
Thank you, that is a boost of confidence!
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

That is quick! Thank you for the recent example.
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, and you were amazingly fortunate?!

When we submitted our petition in August, we were at least 4 months to NOA2 based on the current average. It seems CSC had a major slow down processing May, June and July's petitions which caused significant delays - and I suspect 6 months to NOA2 may be the new normal for a while.

Had I known it would take this much longer I may have more strongly considered the CR-1 instead, but hindsight is always 20:20.
Yeah our K1 was unusually fast, however my AOS took 14 months from start to finish so a bit of payback there.

The interview will be a breeze assuming your case is straightforward. I think we all walked out of there after our interviewing "was that it?!"

The process is almost over, you'll look back on it and laugh eventually
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

Mike95 is an unknown quantity at this point

I submitted my K-1 application 23rd May, NOA2 received 24th November. Just had my medical on 12th February and awaiting to sort out my interview which I’m having problems with. Mine was also at California Processing. Not looking forward to a long AOS wait!
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 1:10 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It is amazing and disconcerting how the timelines change so quickly and so drastically. Back in spring of '98, we applied to VSC for the I-129F on March 23rd and had the K-1 in hand by June 5 through the Montreal US Consulate. And similarly to Ben, husband's adjustment took nearly 2 years even with filing it at the VSC initially.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.